sparring

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ganon, Jul 18, 2010.

1. ganon

ganon White Belt

just wondering how long you think a beginner should train muay thai before they begin sparring?

2. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Green Belt

That solely depends on the person. They should begin to spar when their coach thinks that he/she is ready.

3. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

I agree. It's different with everybody. But in general not before mastering the footwork, stance, and basic attacks and defenses at least and also being some what conditioned. No reason for rushing into sparring.

4. ganon

ganon White Belt

thanks. the reason I'm asking is that after two weeks of classes, about four hours total, my instructor had me sparring. I had no clue really what I was doing as far as defense and kept getting caught. I understand getting hit is part of the learning process but I kinda felt like a punching bag for the more advanced students.

5. DkMacaw

DkMacaw Brown Belt

your instructor knows what he is doing. but it's better if you get to spar with more technical guys first so you and other less experienced partners don't hurt each other in the beginning.

6. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

I think there's too many assumptions that the coach knows what he's doing. This putting the coach on a pedestal thing needs some reevaluation.

If the guy doesn't have the fundamentals, then he shouldn't be sparring. He should be doing sparring DRILLS. Footwork drills, blocking drills, jab counters, cross counters, kick counters, etc. He should be going over fragments of fighting...everyone needs to learn to stand before they can walk, walk before they run, and defend themselves before they spar.

Otherwise bad things happen.

7. stupidnub

stupidnub White Belt

I've seen guys spar the first day. But that consists of getting in the ring with somebody really good who will barely even tap them, while the new guy can do whatever he wants.

I've also been to a place that tried to use new guys as punching bags. Shitty thing is that a lot of places will do this.

8. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Is he a Thai instructor? Probably not.

In any case, he's wrong if he put you to do free sparring with only 4 hours of training.

Unless you are an advanced practitioner in another striking art which promotes free sparring , in which case this could be excused. Otherwise I have to say your instructor does not know what he is doing.
    As Stupidnub said, I have also come acress several gym that like using new guys as punching bags almost if it was one of those childish fraternity tests or something.

9. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Couldn't agree more.

10. Tsingani

Tsingani White Belt

It depends on the sparring. Some gyms go all out, and others play technique at a lighter pace.

Many gyms have a lot of ego in their sparring and it doesnt promote much learning.

Getting a newbie in the ring early to have a bit of a hit can give them an early insight into the style/sport. It helps to put the training and instruction into practice.

I prefer sparring over hitting the bags anyday

11. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Ok but after 4 hours of training?

12. FyouKantCme

FyouKantCme Guest

now was this light sparring:20-40% limited to no use of elbows, light punching, just working on stuff you learned type? or was it hard sparring: preparing for a fight, all strikes allowed, guys trying to take your head off, often leaving with a broken nose type? cause there is a big difference.

13. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    i honestly think new students should spar on their first day with an experienced member of the gym who knows how to control situations.

i personally think a trial by fire is the best way to introduce someone into striking.

Lightly, of course.

14. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

I think a lot of people fail to differentiate between light sparring and hard sparring.

15. Corey Roberts

Corey Roberts Amateur Fighter

Great post, couldn't agree more. Especially about putting coaches on pedestals.

16. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I sparred once with my coach and then got into it the next session and got it handed to me but I'm always learning so it doesn't matter unless you're getting organs re-arranged and then maybe you should take a step back and work on the bag or mitts for a while

17. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

If you and your coach agree that you have a firm grasp on the fundamentals, then go for it. Sparring takes confidence and if you don't have it, you'll only end up getting whooped. Personally, I think you should start with partner play (technique based spars w/o power and minimal speed) and work your way up to sparring.

18. ganon

ganon White Belt

It was definately harder than 20 40%. We weren't going full out but like I said I don't think I was ready. I guess I could have refused but who wants to be that guy. It was pretty discouraging.

19. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

Well, if you don't feel comfortable and don't feel the school antics are appropriated check some other MT gyms around your area to see if you can find something that better fits you. Gym atmosphere and mind set is very important and there are several attitudes out there and is best to find the one which better fits you.

20. Xodus

Xodus Purple Belt

Completely depends on the people in your gym. When I spar new people, I try to take it easy on them and give them pointers. But some people will be jerks and try to kill you on your first day.