sparring with world class takwondo guy?

let him throw a kick then answer the phone and vitor belfort his ass!

Originally posted by ASiAnVaLEtUDo
alright for all you guys that say all tkd is just foot tag and won't hurt or ko, then why the fuck do they wear a mouthpiece? certainly not for decoration. also i have seen badass tkd guys who have broken ribs countless times with back or round kick. national level tkd fighters are fast and regardless of what anyone thinks, they have great footwork

tkd allows KO's, ppl drop their hands, kicks land to the head, yet we few KO's? if the same situations are satisfied in kickboxing by a kickboxer, it will ALWAYS result in KO'd. btw, many non-fight sports wear mouthpieces, including football. to soem ppl its so they wont' bite their tongue or protect braces from scratching their mouth insides.

i don't think they have great footwork. to kick so frequently, it's oxymoronic to say that kicker has great footwork [footwork that is fit for fighting at least].

btw, next time you defend tkd don't say "certainly not for decoration"

Since the whole martial art is about using the feet they are gonna have good foot work to set up their kicks. Let me give you another example. A guy who runs a gym about 1 hour from me is named Jimmy Stewart. Hes a kickboxes, in fact, the above the waist middle weight champion. Do you know what his martial art is? Its taekwondo. Dont believe me? Do a google search for his site. If TKD fighters are that terrible then why dont you go mop the floor with them BBN?

Originally posted by True2KungFu
Since the whole martial art is about using the feet they are gonna have good foot work to set up their kicks. Let me give you another example. A guy who runs a gym about 1 hour from me is named Jimmy Stewart. Hes a kickboxes, in fact, the above the waist middle weight champion. Do you know what his martial art is? Its taekwondo. Dont believe me? Do a google search for his site. If TKD fighters are that terrible then why dont you go mop the floor with them BBN?

Not to be antagonistic, but I know a guy nearby who runs a kickboxing gym, and he was an above-the-waist LHW kickboxing champion multiple times. Doesn't mean a whole lot, if you ask me.... some no-name MT guys sparred with him and gave him all sorts of problems.

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
i already said but u dont' listen: close the distance and punch.

this includes parrying a finished kick out of the way, dash in and hook punch. my point was catching the kick shoudln't be difficult b/c the kicks aen't that painful if you screw up trying to catch them. if you think the kick hurts, u might hesitate and ur not going to be able to close the distance.

and don't you read? it's american kick boxing rules! catch what kick? and everybody here that has actual experience with TKD guys have said they combo their kicks and it's unlikely that he'll throw one big kick like MT.

and closing the distance and punching... wow thats productive, so what should he do? eat kicks all the way in?

i don't go into the grappling forum and talk like i'm the shit cuz i'm not on the ground. So i don't know why you walk in here with your limited knowledge and act like you now all. i care who you know or where you trained... skill is skill, either you know or dont.

this is pointless, your jsut looking for an excuess to flame. and under estimating an opponent seems to be a good idea to you. it's better to over prepare and over estimate then under estimate... but fuck i must be crazy to think that. :rolleyes:

if it's so easy, i want to see you on your national TKD team... walk in there and KO the whole team ... NO? Can't? ...didn't think so... :rolleyes:

people without respect are people waiting to be humbled...

Please...like anyone from these boards would ever admit to losing to a TKDer. lol

btw, what the heck is "above the waist" kickboxing? ALL kickboxing is that. sounds to me like its that "american kickboxing" or karate kickboxing shit which isn't kickboxing.

Originally posted by lucid
and don't you read? it's american kick boxing rules! catch what kick? and everybody here that has actual experience with TKD guys have said they combo their kicks and it's unlikely that he'll throw one big kick like MT.

and closing the distance and punching... wow thats productive, so what should he do? eat kicks all the way in?

i don't go into the grappling forum and talk like i'm the shit cuz i'm not on the ground. So i don't know why you walk in here with your limited knowledge and act like you now all. i care who you know or where you trained... skill is skill, either you know or dont.

this is pointless, your jsut looking for an excuess to flame. and under estimating an opponent seems to be a good idea to you. it's better to over prepare and over estimate then under estimate... but fuck i must be crazy to think that. :rolleyes:

if it's so easy, i want to see you on your national TKD team... walk in there and KO the whole team ... NO? Can't? ...didn't think so... :rolleyes:

people without respect are people waiting to be humbled...

what the fuck?

first of all, "catching" a kick means parrying a kick. it means blocking it and pushing it to the side

second: u think u'll eat a kick while closing the distance? wtf? why wont u think about that for a second. if you don't think that closing a distance is how to fight a kicker, then you should re-learn striking basics. if kicking works the way you think it does, why do kickboxers who prefer kicking use a push kick, a move that opens the distance?

btw even a sidekick is countered by closing distance. ur TMA knowledge prob taught you otherwise. but kickboxers know this counter is legit.

u just revealed a lot of ignorance in this post. i can't believe you dismissed closing a distance a proper counter to kicks.

it not ignorance... i didn't even really mean it or to be totally taken at face value... i was just making a point... thats was an "example" post.

you see things differently, and so does a lot of people. what i did in my mock reply is assume anything other then what i believe is wrong.

not a nice feeling is it?

notice how you felt?

hopefully you can how a situation can go from a discussion to a arguement so quickly.

kickboxing is seperated into above the waist rules and international rules(leg kicks) mr bbn. maybe if you competed youd know that ;). Not to mention you will find tkd prominent in alot of full contact karate events as well.

kickboxing is seperated into above the waist rules and international rules(leg kicks) mr bbn. maybe if you competed youd know that ;). Not to mention you will find tkd prominent in alot of full contact karate events as well.

so...above the waist kickboxing is pretty much WTFTKD w/ punches? or are boxing to the face also illegal here?

also earlier i said "anyting to the jaw hurts" and "low kicks tell stories," so telling me about a champion of above the waist doesn't tell me what i wanna know.

american kickboxing rules=punch & kick to face & body

blackbelt, i agree with you counter and i know it does work but you make it will be so easy. if the guy is a national tkd guy and knows he will be fighting with punches he will train to keep distance and any tkd guy worth his salt will have a devastating back kick to counter a person coming straight in

Originally posted by igoraba
TKD guys are not used to punching in the face. of course they are not comfortable with defence. go for the face.
There is also ITF Tae Kwon Do which allows punches to the face in the ITF tournaments.

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
Sirkhan Yilmaz? don't think i've heard of him, or could find his profile at ko.sherdog.com

Try Serkan Yilmaz. He's a guy with a strong FC and TKD background and he kicks hard.

BBN-American Kickboxing Is basically western boxing rules but with kick's above the waist.

True they dont allow leg kicks but that dosent mean it's not real kickboxing.

how can you be on the standup forum and not know who serkan yilmaz (spell check) is?

Originally posted by TJS
BBN-American Kickboxing Is basically western boxing rules but with kick's above the waist.

True they dont allow leg kicks but that dosent mean it's not real kickboxing.

but it makes it easier to throw head kicks, favoring TKDers. i already said in TKD ppl get hit all the time in the head, but their prob is they dont' get KO'd. the reason is they lack power. they just have to make ONE adjustment and they can "fight"; well in american kickboxing rules at least.

if ur doing regular kickboxing it makes a difference. u can discourage high kicks w/ low kick checks, bruise his legs, do takedowns and trips, etc.

American kickboxing IS kickboxing. That usually what I assume when someone says kickboxing, as everything else has another name.

Anyway, BBN, youre an idiot. Since when do TKDist not knock people out? How much TKD competition do you watch? Youre a big fan? If you are, youre watching the wrong shit. How about you go down to the local dojang and explain to the master how they cant knock you out with a blow to the head. After he wheel kicks your face open, come back and tell us how it didnt work and you remained conscious all the way to the hospital.

if tkd is so great for these powerful kicks, then why the hard transformation to muay thai for most tdk'ers? why then do FUCKING ALL OF THEM SNAP THEIR KICKS? yeah, i know sometimes guys get ko'ed in tkd matches and shit but come on, IT'S NOT THE USUAL METHOD OF VICTORY.

and why is that? because of point fighting!

Back