sparring with world class takwondo guy?

liquids got a point... it's just sparring.

if you go in to win you already have mind set to loss. if you in to learn when you've already won battles that have yet to be fought.

it should be fun, cuz if it wasn't fun then why do it?

well, it should be a learning exercise. Serious, full contact TKD people usually use a lot of counter kicking technique. I can't sat much more about it, because I don't know much, but how does the hand position work?

Just try to remove him from his game. If he wants to counterfight, sit back and let him initiate. If he wants to initiate, then jump on him. But under american kickboxer rules, the rules are in his favor...you can't expolit the holes in his game was well as you could in other forms of competition.

Originally posted by feedback
How is boxing more than hand tag?
Fucking hell, now I remember why I stay off these forums.

b/c ppl come home bruised, knocked out, or hurt in general

slap boxing, not boxing, is a perfect analogy of TKD. both try to touch key targets w/ little intention of hurting the guy while evading attacks. in both, you CAN but its deemphsized, and if you do intend to hurt someone ppl look down at you. in regular boxing ppl want you to hurt the other guy. the diff is one is hands hte other is feet.

btw i'm only talking about WTF sorry if i seemed like i included itf. i think WTF is to itf as slapboxing is to boxing.

and the push kick advice: i don't know aobut that one. if you wanna fight a kicker u shoud close the gap, not open it. a push kick is done by a kicker to keep the guy in a kick zone.

wtf is full contact, itf is point fighting. ;)

Originally posted by lucid
wtf is full contact, itf is point fighting. ;)

it doesn' matter the rules; it matters how ppl play. iono if u know about the "wrsetler invasion" in judo a long time ago. wrstlers were beating judoka in their own game b/c wrestler's style and attitude allowed it.

so about TKD, i never seen a wtf guy really hurt. ive seen wtf take hits in the head that COULD hurt, but don't. itf i can imagine broken noses, kicks that accelerate at the last minute before contact to the head or body, punches , etc. itf ppl also don't use chamber kicks i think.

i don't even know if KO's are legal in wtf like ppl say. if it is, why don't ppl throw MT high kicks, esp if the guys hands are usually dropped and TKD head kicks usually do land anyway?

Originally posted by TJS
It comes down to this-Alot of TKD IS lolly dolly foot tag. Dont assume that..prepare for the worst and you will be fine.

Everyone talks down on TKD but the truth is not all of them train the same.
Yeah, TKD is not bad!, There are many styles of TKD like yes ITF and WTF and there also are the Kwan styles of TKD.

BBN to be honest i know theres nothing i can say to convince you that WTF TKD is full contact and everybody's objective (serious competitors) is a OK in a fight.

but to be honest a question was asked and instead of answer it like everybody else has you just step in to bash TKD.

was the original question, "why does TKD suck?" then ok, you answered the question. But NO it wasn't.

but instead your helping this stigma grow on this board

Originally posted by feedback
How is boxing more than hand tag?
Fucking hell, now I remember why I stay off these forums.

othen saying push kicks may not work you haven't brought much more to the table. since your an accomplished fighter, what would you suggest to help him?

you should have a killer strategy for a "ok"boxer to paste a (in your eyes) half ass fighter.

i'm here to kill time between projects at work... not waste time... theres a big difference. arguing is wasting time.

was the original question, "why does TKD suck?" then ok, you answered the question. But NO it wasn't.

no. you told the guy never underestimate a TKD guy for the reason that he's a "national level competitor". i responded by using that soccer analogy, saying national competitor doens't mean anything--implying that i'm accusing your advice as basically to overestimate a guy b/c of his the label: "national comeptitor".

now what is the irrelevence of "competitor"? everything else i said about wtf later on implies that WTF is like soccer: not a fighting sport, therfore "national competitor' doesn't mean "national fighter". if he was national itf competitor, which is more rougher and more like fighting, that makes his label of "national competitor" more meaningful.

i did not go off topic.

ok... lets say your right...

now what should he do?

or is the whole point of all your posting say TKD sucks, because it seems like your ducking the question. If you got some merit to what you talk about, then prove it.

WTF is full contact, and those guys can kick just as well as most kickboxers. Ive seen people get knocked out pretty brutally in it, one guy took a spinning hook kick to the jaw and if you want to tell me that doesnt hurt than i invite you to recieve one. How about that Sirkhan Yilmaz that fought in k-1 max not too long ago, hes a tkd guy and he fucks shit up.

ok, i hate tkd in the states and all but listen:

my platoon went to korea a few years ago and the rok marines there were doing tkd demonstrations and shit.......

man, whoa!

however, don't get excited b/c tkd is the national SPORT, and kuk sool won is the national MARTIAL ART.

i think that says something huh?

I agree with most ppl telling you to get in close and stay on the offensive. Dont let him set up his kicks and combos and hopefully you wont gas and he wont be able to do anything major.

Sirkhan Yilmaz? don't think i've heard of him, or could find his profile at ko.sherdog.com

TKD guys are not used to punching in the face. of course they are not comfortable with defence. go for the face.

Originally posted by True2KungFu
WTF is full contact, and those guys can kick just as well as most kickboxers. Ive seen people get knocked out pretty brutally in it, one guy took a spinning hook kick to the jaw and if you want to tell me that doesnt hurt than i invite you to recieve one. How about that Sirkhan Yilmaz that fought in k-1 max not too long ago, hes a tkd guy and he fucks shit up.

Sirkhan has good boxing skills. any TKD fighters with poor boxing will get their ass kicked all over K-1

ok... lets say your right...

now what should he do?

or is the whole point of all your posting say TKD sucks, because it seems like your ducking the question. If you got some merit to what you talk about, then prove it.

i already said but u dont' listen: close the distance and punch.

this includes parrying a finished kick out of the way, dash in and hook punch. my point was catching the kick shoudln't be difficult b/c the kicks aen't that painful if you screw up trying to catch them. if you think the kick hurts, u might hesitate and ur not going to be able to close the distance.

Ive seen people get knocked out pretty brutally in it, one guy took a spinning hook kick to the jaw and if you want to tell me that doesnt hurt than i invite you to recieve one.
everyting to the jaw hurts. it doens't say much. leg kicks tell a story. what about their leg kicks?

alright for all you guys that say all tkd is just foot tag and won't hurt or ko, then why the fuck do they wear a mouthpiece? certainly not for decoration. also i have seen badass tkd guys who have broken ribs countless times with back or round kick. national level tkd fighters are fast and regardless of what anyone thinks, they have great footwork

Back