sparring with world class takwondo guy?

boxingman

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
i am an ok boxer but soon my friend said that a takwondo guy will come to our place. this guy has been on the canadian national team since 1989. and has world medals at the worlds.
and he already beat some guys up there

i am going to spar him under american kickboxing rules and i know what most people say just cut of the ring etc.

but the problem is that the place where we might spar does not have a ring??? so it would be hard to wrap him and work inside

so what tatics should i use to spar him?

do you guys have any ideas?

Watch his feet :p

No, seriously.

Also, is he ITF or WTF? If he's oldschool ITF he might just know how to use his hands real well as well. If he's newschool WTF... well... see line number one.

since ur a boxer here is what i suggest:

keep a traditional boxing stance. keep ur hands a little higher up. dont worry about his low kicks or body kicks they prob wont hurt. expect some body hits, but most shots will be to the head. as soon as he throws a kick step in and do your thing.

get in close, when he throws one of those silly kicks just box his face in

Despite what most people say I suggest you take him seriously and Make sure you dont get knocked out with a spinning hook kick or something.

Basically keep you hands up and close the distance once you see an opening. most likely he wont like being in punching range.

I'm a TKD guy (though admittedly not world-class ;) ) and had some of my best and most challenging fights against two guys at my school who were, quite frankly lousy at TKD but who were both trained and skilled boxers.

Get in close and stay there-- he'll own you at longer distance. But do not be so foolish as to think bulldogging him will keep you safe; watch for spinning back kicks and axe kicks, both of which can be thrown to great effect in close. Keep a tight defense and constantly shift your angle of attack, and work the body so he'll have a harder time setting up kicking attacks.

If your kicks are decent, throw pushing kicks at his hips/waist when he goes to attack-- you can jam him and in many cases drop him dead on his ass.

Originally posted by GoldenDragon
since ur a boxer here is what i suggest:

keep a traditional boxing stance. keep ur hands a little higher up. dont worry about his low kicks or body kicks they prob wont hurt. expect some body hits, but most shots will be to the head. as soon as he throws a kick step in and do your thing.

sorry but all due respect, to assume a fighter at the national level can't hurt you is ignorant! he's a NATIONAL LEVEL FIGHTER! Any body whos hit that level has to thow kicks that can hurt or KO somebody. or why else do they get to be at the national level? if that was so i'd walk on to the Canadian olympic team right now even though i haven't trained in TKD for a year.

i live around T.O. too, whats the name of the guy, i'm just curious.

if it's WTF, he's gonna combo a lot in his kicks. it's not gonna be like MT where he's gonna throw a big nasty round. he's gonna chain at least 2 kicks together.

he's gonna be fast and move around a lot. dont thow singles because he'll shuffle back and counter with his own round.

if your good at a push kick use it you need to buy room and dictate the exchange.

shoot in with shuffling kicks to get in to hands range(he's not gonna be comfortable there or as least as much as kicking range), to avoid him stoping you with a side kick get in tight and work him. but watch for 2 things. the jumping back kick and the chop kick. this is what i would suggest to watch for:

to stop chop kicks is easy , jsut keep your guard up. if he's catches on he'll chop your collar bone. thats what i would do. it's a dirty trickin competition. it'll numb the arm and hurts like a bitch even with a chest guard.

jumping back kicks---> duck! bob and weave, your heads not set in one place then he can't get a good fix on it.

ok, to be honest if he's already pasted guys at your club and you said your an OK boxer. i'd say tell him your there to learn and work light.

your best chance of winning is changing to boxing :D hehe second option is MT cuz he'll die in the clutch and leg kicks.

P.S. i live in your area, if you want you can PM me, if i got time i go a few rounds with you. :D

edit: i didn't read gregsters post ... so it's not jsut me saying watch for the chop/ax kicks and back kicks.

I wholeheartedly second what TJS and lucid have said vis-a-vis this guys skill.

I've trained under, and fought against, TKD fighters who were playing the game on this guy's level. And if he's fighting USTU/WTF rules (read: Olympic rules) Taekwondo, you don't get to that level training at the McDojang down the street and learning how to look pretty. You get there by knowing how to *fight*.

Whatever you do, take him seriously or he will school you.

And lucid is correct-- this guy won't try to take you out with one hard shot, he will be looking to set up combos. That's how good TKD fighters fight. Be aggressive and jam his attacks and keep him on the defensive.

Unless he's free-styling because he's fighting a different school, he won't kick low-- he'll be trying to land kicks to the torso and (if you're going for broke) the head.

Originally posted by streetthug
get in close, when he throws one of those silly kicks just box his face in

hahaha

silly rabbit [TKD] kicks are for chicks

Originally posted by lucid
sorry but all due respect, to assume a fighter at the national level can't hurt you is ignorant! he's a NATIONAL LEVEL FIGHTER!

no he's not. he's a national level TKD guy. if a national level soccer guy fights me, i can't assume he's dangerous b/c he's a great kicker. their kics are different htan our kicks. same w/ TKD. they're just good at foot tagging specific targets on ur body

if it's WTF it's it's full contact...

if guys can KO others with head gear thats an inche thick, i'm sure they can KO a guy with out any.

i know theres a lot of TKD Mc Dojo's but to paint them all of them in every country with one brush is ignorant don't you think?

ok to avoid dumb net flame wars.. hows about this, we just state our points and leave it be, boxingman posted for advice, not to read us arguing our something thats totally off topic.

my point is --> anybody who can make a national team can easily hurt or KO another non-pro fighter.

or better yet, i would like you to prove me wrong... how about since it's so easy and simple to make a national team, how about you join the your countries TKD team. it shouldn't be an issue right? it's not like any of them can even hurt you. you should walk in and KO the whole team.

There's Tae Kwon-Do and then there's Tae Kwon-Do.
Real Tae Kwon-Do guys straight out of Korea would tear you a new one. And this guy we're talking about might as well.
See, you can bash the Art all you want. You can say he sucks, or whatever. But you don't get to a national level by going to a McDojo, sipping a milkshake and watch fight tapes. You get there by being in fucking ridiculous shape.

Forget he's TKD for a second and remember that this is someone who's trained hard as hell for several years, probably seven days a week. I have a professor where I study that's an elite tae kwon-do player, on the national level. I've had a few discussions about him about everything from mentality to training... and one day we started discussing training schedules.
I was pretty impressed by myself at the time since I was in great shape, and was happy with my fighting skills as well.

Then he blew me out of the water by explaining how he spends 4 hours a day practicing his art, and by that I mean sparring and kick training non stop, and *then* hitting the gym. All in all, after work, he simply lived for tae kwon-do, for 5-8 hours a day.

Someone with that kind of dedication has a fricking lethal mentality. No matter if he's a boxer, kickboxer, wushu or fucking yellow bamboo... if he has the mental strength to condition his body like that non-stop for years... he's gonna own you. The reason is simple... he's confident, he's not scared, and he has a lot of experience under his belt. Experience fighting... whether you use your hands or not, it's still ring experience.

Never be dumb enough to underestimate someone because of prejudism. That'll be the last of you.
I'll never fight my professor. Because he's a killer. His mentality is scary. He's the nicest guy in the world, but when you talk martial arts it's like his eyes contort to those of a shark. Tae Kwon-Do or not.

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
well then tell me this: how is TKD more than foot tag?

Under some rules-- mainly, "point stop" where the first guy to get three points wins-- TKD matches are nothing more than slap-boxing where the fastest guy wins.

In USTU competitive TKD, points are scored by landing contact that produces (according to the rulebook) "trembling shock." You have to hit the guy hard enough to move him or produce some other noticeable physical reaction. On that level of competition, you can also win by knocking the other guy out cold.

I have no idea why some people around here seem to have a vested personal insterest in talking shit about TKD as being useless or ineffective. I, for one, have seen people get fucked up and taken out on stretchers in TKD tourneys. I've also seen it work in real fights, including guys who've gone down and stayed down at the business end of my own kicks.

Boxingman-- you have two options. You can heed my advice and the advice of others who seem to know what they're talking about (i.e. lucid, Zeal, TJS), or you can listen to these jokers who would have you believe TKD fighters can't do damage and get the friggin' right to be beaten out of you. Your choice, brother...I hope for your sake you make the right one.

I sparred a national level TKD guy before and trust me, theyre no joke. Im not a slouch either, ive fought in rings but this dude could take my head off with a kick if he wanted. PS, if you watch the full contact bare knucke TKD matches they are pretty wicked .

just keep your hands up most of the time. close in the gap since many TKD fighters are not good in close fighters if they are WTF.

Originally posted by Gregster
If your kicks are decent, throw pushing kicks at his hips/waist when he goes to attack-- you can jam him and in many cases drop him dead on his ass.
Also, Keep in mind that you should watch out for counterkicks, it's a very useful technique in TKD sparring.

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
well then tell me this: how is TKD more than foot tag?

How is boxing more than hand tag?
Fucking hell, now I remember why I stay off these forums.

seriously, it's just sparring with no win/loss. it should be more for fun and learning, so it's probably best to just go out there and learn from each other.

It comes down to this-Alot of TKD IS lolly dolly foot tag. Dont assume that..prepare for the worst and you will be fine.

Everyone talks down on TKD but the truth is not all of them train the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back