Sparring with women

Txlandman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
posted in wrong place. Sorry.

Last edited:
Heh. If you get brushed you gotta let the person know right then and there. If someone is prone to getting angry and going postal, be glad they don't want to spar with you anymore.

This doesn't sound like a "sparring with women" issue to me, it sounds like one person who went a little batty. Don't paint the world with one bad experience.

Heh. If you get brushed you gotta let the person know right then and there. If someone is prone to getting angry and going postal, be glad they don't want to spar with you anymore.

This doesn't sound like a "sparring with women" issue to me, it sounds like one person who went a little batty. Don't paint the world with one bad experience.

I am glad. Yeah I've never had any problems with the few other women I've sparred with in the class, or with anyone else saying I've gone "too hard". Usually I'm more on the receiving end when I spar with the instructors or serious fighters or even those that have more time in. But being thought as a goon by this woman kind of made me feel like crap.

I just jab alot and evade

Good call. I'll do that too. Most of the women at my gym don't stay past two or three months or they just stick to the cardio. There are girls that I just reach out and touch their foreheads and touch them with a teep. Feels like sparring in slow motion. This woman hits a little harder in the sparring than a few of the 190 lb guys that I spar with, which is why it took me a few seconds to realize she was going 100%. Also she's captain kickcatcher which is annoying.​

Lol captain kickcatcher. Wouldnt be surprised if I get called something along those lines haha. I am prone to catching kicks and sweeping the standing leg. I also knee or elbow people's legs when they kick, sparring partners don't like it. I just instinctively do it

Lol captain kickcatcher. Wouldnt be surprised if I get called something along those lines haha. I am prone to catching kicks and sweeping the standing leg. I also knee or elbow people's legs when they kick, sparring partners don't like it. I just instinctively do it

Apparently it's instinctual for some people. It seems like maybe 1 in 10 people I spar try to catch kicks. One of my regular sparring partners tries to catch my kicks constantly. I like the guy so it doesn't bother me.

Ya, not a fan of people doing that in sparring. Had someone elbow a metal plate in my ankle that put me out of training for like 6 months.

Touch her with the jab.

If she catches your kick, start catching her kicks aswell and dump her every time

I've sparred a few woman that try to "get out their agression" in sparring, but most of the time it leads to them being kinda predictable and telegraphed. Sometimes i just jab and then use alot of angles so they can't even touch me, and they get even more frustrated lol. If you can't do that yet, try kicking, or tripping their front leg from the inside, so that they will lose balance and won't be able to rush you.

Most girls are pretty cool though, especially if they're less experienced than me i will just take basic stance and wait for them to hit me and counter with basic strikes so that they can learn something from it, instead of them sparring some other agressive girl and not learning anything.

I've sparred a few woman that try to "get out their agression" in sparring, but most of the time it leads to them being kinda predictable and telegraphed. Sometimes i just jab and then use alot of angles so they can't even touch me, and they get even more frustrated lol. If you can't do that yet, try kicking, or tripping their front leg from the inside, so that they will lose balance and won't be able to rush you.

Most girls are pretty cool though, especially if they're less experienced than me i will just take basic stance and wait for them to hit me and counter with basic strikes so that they can learn something from it, instead of them sparring some other agressive girl and not learning anything.

I think I figured it out. She claimed I brushed her with a knee, but I dont remember any reaction from her and/or contact, think she was just pissed off rather then hurt. If she had hit me with a low blow, I would have stopped and said I need a minute or two. I wouldn't have came after her, or even a guy--I know these things are part of it. Anyway, she came after me even harder for retribution and when that didn't work, she got frustrated and really lost it. I did apologize for the (phantom) knee I hit her with, but she just kind of dismissed me and said she didn't want to spar with me ever again. I said okay and left it at that. I hate to sound misygonist, but I think in her case a lack of experience in contact sports growing up--like most women--made her really sensitive to any accidental hit. I've been elbowed, been upended, concussed, etc. during my life of playing my sports and very rarely get pissed. Know it's part of playing with the big dogs. Most women come into martial arts without this mental armor so to speak. There are exceptions and mental toughness can be acquired, but you look around the gym and notice there aren't many women there. The ones that stick are the exceptions.

Back