Sparring with reaping the knee and heel hooks

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I visited a club where any technique is ok to do in the submission wrestling class. Up to that point I had always sparred with ibjjf rules. The people I used to sparred with would usually try and sweep or take me down and try and climb the positional ladder. I want used to people giving up position to attack my legs etc.
It was Definitely an eye opener for when my legs are exposed. Has anyone gone through a similar experience.

Yeah, a while ago I sparred no-gi with all the leglocks allowed. It was interesting, definitely kept me on my toes. I should do that again sometime soon.

I do kneebars and toeholds in gi all the time, but heelhooks and knee reaping add another dimension to the game.

Almost all of the rolling I've done allows heel-hooks etc. I've never seen anyone injured by this during training - mainly because everyone's developed a pretty acute tap reflex :icon_chee

The first time I ever rolled with heelhooks, toeholds etc I got destroyed.

But, the practise I got on footlocks for at least an hour a week made me have a good heelhook and toehold game.

Yeah, I went to a club like that, and while I was playing open guard a black belt badly popped my MCL with an outside toe hold. I would recommend being very careful who you roll with full speed with all leg locks legal.

All techniques are legal at my gym, but our instructor doesn't show toe holds, heel hooks and neck cranks to any of the beginners. More advanced guys are allowed any sub. General rule is that if we get a heel hook or such, we normally just apply it a little to show we have the sub and move on.

We don't have any specific rules about not reaping during practice or anything. In general there aren't a ton of big leglockers I train with, so there's not a ton of reaping. That said, once people start to become good blue belts, no one has a problem if there's some reaping or leglocks going on. Most everyone is pretty careful.

I do like going to gyms to visit where there's a lot of leglockers. I'd like to get more practice against people that go for a lot of heel hooks and toe holds but are still safe with them.

Our gym doesn't actually practise heel hooks or reaping when we're in the gi. We train with IBJJF rules. In no-gi we can go for footlocks and reaping but generally have to use your better judgement about who to use heelhooks with.

Yeah, I went to a club like that, and while I was playing open guard a black belt badly popped my MCL with an outside toe hold. I would recommend being very careful who you roll with full speed with all leg locks legal.

Wow. "Popped," as in tore it? Where was this if you don't mind me asking?

My gym allows it, gi or no gi, and most of my training partners have become pretty adept at avoiding reaping attacks and other leg shenanigans. I'm very selective about who I heelhook, though.

i do it with only one guy and we just have a mutual understanding.

its fun and terrifying at the same time.

Very common at my gym. Only way to get good at it or defend it. We don't let white belts do anything other than ankle locks lately though.

38557243.jpg

I've wrestled my friend (pins and submissions allowed) and he has about 30 pounds of muscle on me, but i'm much taller then him. I know where you're coming from, hes cranked my foot and neck a few times, but I get him back. It gets really frustrating wrestling a guy that much bigger.

I've been sparring with heel hooks since day one. It isn't terrifying, it's just training. I am sure if armbars were outlawed we would have the same threads about when people finally train with them

I've been sparring with heel hooks since day one. It isn't terrifying, it's just training. I am sure if armbars were outlawed we would have the same threads about when people finally train with them

When armbars are outlawed, only the outlaws will use armbars.

The first move I learned years ago was a heel hook sweep from open guard and I've done leg locks ever since, but I usually release and continue rolling or use my judgement doing so. The only injury I've had was from a standing toe hold and I didn't even feel the damage until i woke up the next day

I think toe holds are cause more injuries than heel hooks.

I think so too. However, toe hold injuries seem to heal better than heel hook injuries.

Yep
Tends to hit the lcl (as far as the knee goes) which heals on its own if not completely torn.

Heel hooks hit in the bits that tend to need surgery.

I think toe holds are cause more injuries than heel hooks.

Probably because people try to tough out toe holds a lot more than heelhooks, and the toe hold requires more strength to finish. It's like the kimura, people tend to try to tough it out a lot more than the armbar.

The most dangerous subs are those that attack joints that are hard to heal, and which people feel like they can "tough out." That's why slicers are banned at low levels, people always think they can fight the pressure regardless of the danger level. It's also why the armbar is relatively safe ... you get the arm straight, people almost always tap. Subs that apply overwhelming force in a controlled fashion are actually safer because people don't push the limits with them as much.

Back