Sparring with MMA gloves

Greendeem

White Belt
Reaction score
How many of you who fight in MMA spar with MMA gloves? We have been doing this recently and beating the shit out of each other, but I feel it is playing an important role in preparing me to fight. One thing I learned really quick was not to leave my damn mouth hanging open sucking wind.

Isnt it rather dangerous? You can be cut very easily. I like to do stand up sparring with gloves, and ground grappling and standing grappling with light striking using mma gloves.

As long as you are careful, MMA gloves are fine. Whenever we roll with MMA gloves and add strikes, body shots can be hard (not your hardest, but good enough to make the guy feel it) and head strikes are just taps with the back of the hand on the side of the head, nothing straight on to the face. We just use head shots to make the guy aware that if it was real MMA he would be gettin hit there, and to remind him to not leave it open. Its really fun doing light MMA, it steps up the intensity of just regular grappling but you dont take a beating like you were actually fighting.

We do it a bit but usually pretty light when standing.

Grappling in mma is such a shock do me when I first did it. I usually beat Mikelw grappling but when we do mma I do stupid stuff like shoot recklessly and fall back, and he lands in mount, really ugly stuff, and I freak out alot on the takedown. That's changing though.

edit: changed shot to shoot

Never sparred with mma gloves before. But I use them when I work with the focus mitts sometimes. And sometimes when I roll with stirkes I wear them too.

It is very important to spar with MMA gloves for MMA training, since blocking and covering up with tiny 4 oz MMA gloves is much harder than with cushy 12 oz boxing gloves.

You do need to be careful though, because it sucks to get cut during training.

I only do it about once every 2 weeks..if your tarining for a fight I would not do it at all..about a month ago I was cut and had to get 12 stitches..Your bound to get cut during sparring at some point but MMA gloves just up the chance by about 50%.

I recently got back into sparring MMA (with MMA gloves). The problem with going light is that while most people will give some respect to head/face strikes, no respect is given to the body shots. Go hard and people get cut or beat up and quit. So I've adapted to touch or light to the head/face and medium or hard to the body. Basically, as light as I can go to get a realistic reaction. This is mostly once things get to the ground.

I've only done it once, in my short stint at an MMA school. The problem was that it was the old, "Just go 50 percent" thing. Everyone, of course, has a different interpretation of 50 percent. So next thing you know this guy is throwing full on punches at you and you don't know how much your supposed to give back.

I'd rather wear more protective gear and not have to worry about, "Am I hitting too hard" than having less protective gear and going 'half speed'.

Most of time we use mma gloves when sparring but we aren't going at 100%. It's alot better cause like allready said there is a big difference fighting with 4 oz gloves or 12 oz gloves.

its hurts

mma gloves will obviously be better in you're and mma fighter and the only way to get used to them is to train hard with them even if it means getting hit

just beat the sh%t out of the other persona nd dont worry about getting cut

CoutureFan16 said:
As long as you are careful, MMA gloves are fine. Whenever we roll with MMA gloves and add strikes, body shots can be hard (not your hardest, but good enough to make the guy feel it) and head strikes are just taps with the back of the hand on the side of the head, nothing straight on to the face. We just use head shots to make the guy aware that if it was real MMA he would be gettin hit there, and to remind him to not leave it open. Its really fun doing light MMA, it steps up the intensity of just regular grappling but you dont take a beating like you were actually fighting.

That's pretty much what we do aswell.

We spar with the Slayer gloves all the time, and those are standard at mtaches to. But they are like 10 oz, so you won't get beat to death.

Here's a pic

pooch_slayer.jpg

Odium said:
We spar with the Slayer gloves all the time, and those are standard at mtaches to. But they are like 10 oz, so you won't get beat to death.

Here's a pic

pooch_slayer.jpg

Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! where do you get them?

In sweden :wink: Well, they're made by Twins, here's a review and here's a site where you can order them, they're under "Utrustning" (menaing gear in swedish) and cost about 90 $, but they're superb quality.

Back