Sparring w/o hard headshots?

I agree with what others have said here. There are some excellent, intelligent posts with well thought out information. If you do decide on the surgery, just be sure you seek out an excellent doctor, as I have heard stories with great success and others with complete failure. Good luck!

:icon_chee

We spar body only quite a bit just to make sure that people understand the openings and effectiveness of the body shots when teamed with head shots. I think that you can get away with throwing feints to the head for a couple months or so although it sounds like it may be risky for you training at all.

If your neck is injured, then you shouldn't be sparring at all. Even light contact will aggravate it and prolong your recovery. Just focus on the raw fundamentals of your game- footwork, striking form, conditioning. Work the bag and the pads, shadow box (w/o contact) with a partner, and make sure you're not doing anything to strain your neck. Seriously, the health of your spine isn't something that you should be fucking around with. I'd also recommend not grappling.

+1 on no sparring.
If I were you I'd go with bag work, technique, fitness etc.
No need to risk your neck/spine health.

Back