Sparring Videos

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A little history, I started boxing at 17, did that for about 6 months and then did BJJ for another 6. Dislocated both my shoulders and had 2 years out for surgery, one for each arm. I started training Taekwondo after the first op because I couldn't use my arms. Been doing that for about a year with a gap in the middle for surgery. Now my arm is healed im going to start boxing again, first session tomorrow. This is taekwondo. Only rules that are different to normal are no leg kicks and no clinching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcRTe-iMOIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gCBDiF4Q-w

I am the one not in a GI, any criticism would be great.

Last edited:
So, tactically, what you are doing is pretty TKD. You can see that because there is importance placed on kicking and no grappling allowed, you have the liberty of staying still or coming forward with all of your kicking exchanges. In the general fighting environment, more people are better at punching and wrestling than kicking.

That makes a few big changes if you want to do MMA with your TKD / Boxing which is: punch more, protect yourself from a rush after any kick, practice your kicks while moving or stepping backwards, and that there is no point in throwing a kick, at all, unless you are going to hurt the person with it. The boxing jab is the only thing that is like a jab, besides maybe, maybe, a snap kick to the shin. All the kicks are more like hooks and crosses - they are hard to lead with.

Exactly in the context of the sparring you were doing there, prepare your footwork so that you can rush forward and either punch or lead leg side kick. Whenever that guy you are sparring crosses his feet while walking in a circle, and by that I mean when he starts a pattern of doing it so that you can tell when he starts to step, rush him. He will have a hard time with it.

At 1:27 in the first video, I know it feels like you are being tricky with your freeze before the spinning kick, but to me who has done a lot of this sort of sparring, it was very obvious. That kick works best as a counter to a committed kick your opponent throws, but misses completely. There are other ways to set it up, but you have to be careful just doing it to do it.

So, tactically, what you are doing is pretty TKD. You can see that because there is importance placed on kicking and no grappling allowed, you have the liberty of staying still or coming forward with all of your kicking exchanges. In the general fighting environment, more people are better at punching and wrestling than kicking.

That makes a few big changes if you want to do MMA with your TKD / Boxing which is: punch more, protect yourself from a rush after any kick, practice your kicks while moving or stepping backwards, and that there is no point in throwing a kick, at all, unless you are going to hurt the person with it. The boxing jab is the only thing that is like a jab, besides maybe, maybe, a snap kick to the shin. All the kicks are more like hooks and crosses - they are hard to lead with.

Exactly in the context of the sparring you were doing there, prepare your footwork so that you can rush forward and either punch or lead leg side kick. Whenever that guy you are sparring crosses his feet while walking in a circle, and by that I mean when he starts a pattern of doing it so that you can tell when he starts to step, rush him. He will have a hard time with it.

At 1:27 in the first video, I know it feels like you are being tricky with your freeze before the spinning kick, but to me who has done a lot of this sort of sparring, it was very obvious. That kick works best as a counter to a committed kick your opponent throws, but misses completely. There are other ways to set it up, but you have to be careful just doing it to do it.

Thanks for the reply man. The tactics are very TKD I agree, thats partly why im taking up boxing. I was always an out fighter in boxing and when i started I always tried to set up my jab. Problem was I just got kicked alot, so I moved my range back a bit and used my kicks like my jab, like you say, but I understand what you say about them not being good for the same purpous. Im not going to do MMA, but maybe kickboxing. For now its mostly this and hopefully boxing.

I see what your saying about footwork, I will try and work that in. As for the kick, i didnt at that time in the first, did you mean the second? Im in the shorts.

oh, well, reverse what I said. I missed the "not" in your last sentence.... so....

tell your partner that his spinning kick set up is obvious, and you, you stop crossing your legs when you circle so that someone doesn't step in and kick you :)

oh, well, reverse what I said. I missed the "not" in your last sentence.... so....

tell your partner that his spinning kick set up is obvious, and you, you stop crossing your legs when you circle so that someone doesn't step in and kick you :)

Haha, ok then :D

What are your goals with fighting/training? Are you going back to boxing? Furthering your TKD? Attempting to train an overall Mixed Martial Art?

The sparring videos were cool, I always have fun watching people sparr, but I'm just curious of your future goals.

Taekwondo was sort of a stepping stone for me coming back into combat sports before I went into something as heavy as boxing. It was never meant to be a long term thing, but I made some really good friends and enjoy it so I will keep it up one day a week. We also have a comp in 6 weeks im training for. My main goal this year though is to have an amateur boxing match, and boxing is what I would like to focus on.

Thanks for fixing the vids, gotta love the freeze frame on the first.

Taekwondo was sort of a stepping stone for me coming back into combat sports before I went into something as heavy as boxing. It was never meant to be a long term thing, but I made some really good friends and enjoy it so I will keep it up one day a week. We also have a comp in 6 weeks im training for. My main goal this year though is to have an amateur boxing match, and boxing is what I would like to focus on.

Thanks for fixing the vids, gotta love the freeze frame on the first.

Boxing is pretty rough at entry level compared to a lot of TMA's. Nothing wrong with TKD though, a lot fundamental stuff from TKD transfers over very well from what I've seen. Good luck at your TKD comp, how much longer before you are going to consider boxing again?

Like Bay Areas says, TKD and boxing go together like peas and carrots. You get all the striking ranges and can basically use the same stance. People get past your kicks and find good punches. It is great.

Boxing is pretty rough at entry level compared to a lot of TMA's. Nothing wrong with TKD though, a lot fundamental stuff from TKD transfers over very well from what I've seen. Good luck at your TKD comp, how much longer before you are going to consider boxing again?

First session is tomorrow :D im excited, I hope its a good club, nice atmosphere .e.c.t. Im expecting it to be rough, but I probably wont be prepared for it. I trained for 6 months in a pretty rough blue collar boxing gym in a local city and it was tough. BJJ at a school ran by a guy who once headstomped a guy in a comp for using an illegal move was even tougher. I only had one comp in BJJ, ground control in Birmingham, i think may 2011. I dislocated my arm about a minute in, but thankfully it went back in after about 5 seconds so I carried on one handed. Got rear naked choke but my left arm was too painful to use so I didnt get the sub and lost on points. That said, its defiantly going to be a big change, I know I can hack it, I just need to find the confidence and drive I had before the surgery. I get flashes of it every now and then and im really hoping boxing will bring it back.

Like Bay Areas says, TKD and boxing go together like peas and carrots. You get all the striking ranges and can basically use the same stance. People get past your kicks and find good punches. It is great.

Yeah I use sort of a bastardized stance already, which throws people off, but i like it. My turning kicks are a bit slower, but more powerful for it, and my front leg teeps / push kicks are faster but less powerful. I like it. Also, in a self defense situation its nice knowing I could throw power shots to their knee and keep them out of range that I wouldnt have if I just did boxing.

I think the biggest thing I have learnt from these vids is how bad my range is, kicking out of distance. I need to stop using them as a jab.

First session is tomorrow :D im excited, I hope its a good club, nice atmosphere .e.c.t. Im expecting it to be rough, but I probably wont be prepared for it. I trained for 6 months in a pretty rough blue collar boxing gym in a local city and it was tough. BJJ at a school ran by a guy who once headstomped a guy in a comp for using an illegal move was even tougher. I only had one comp in BJJ, ground control in Birmingham, i think may 2011. I dislocated my arm about a minute in, but thankfully it went back in after about 5 seconds so I carried on one handed. Got rear naked choke but my left arm was too painful to use so I didnt get the sub and lost on points. That said, its defiantly going to be a big change, I know I can hack it, I just need to find the confidence and drive I had before the surgery. I get flashes of it every now and then and im really hoping boxing will bring it back.
Just remember that tough training doesn't equal quality training. Being a gym hero or working "through the pain" only stagnates your progress as a person and fighter.

Yeah I use sort of a bastardized stance already, which throws people off, but i like it. My turning kicks are a bit slower, but more powerful for it, and my front leg teeps / push kicks are faster but less powerful. I like it. Also, in a self defense situation its nice knowing I could throw power shots to their knee and keep them out of range that I wouldnt have if I just did boxing.

I think the biggest thing I have learnt from these vids is how bad my range is, kicking out of distance. I need to stop using them as a jab.
Try not to "spin" around so much when you are sparring. I know your partner isn't going to take advantage of it but in a competition they might. Also, try using your hips more when you attempt to teep.

Just remember that tough training doesn't equal quality training. Being a gym hero or working "through the pain" only stagnates your progress as a person and fighter.

True, but there are also times when caution holds you back. I really enjoy TKD, but I feel like im not really pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I can use my kicks to keep distance even if they dont land, and i think that is also counterproductive

Try not to "spin" around so much when you are sparring. I know your partner isn't going to take advantage of it but in a competition they might. Also, try using your hips more when you attempt to teep.

Will do. I only recently started trying to do these spinning kicks as people were getting wise to my arsenal of front, side and turing kicks :p. I will stop them. apart from anything they look ugly as hell, infact, all my kicks look ugly as hell.

I believe I said they go together like butt-cheeks. But yeah, awesome combination.

I believe I said they go together like butt-cheeks. But yeah, awesome combination.

That's cool, what kind of things don't work when you combine the two? Have you trained tkd yourself?

That's cool, what kind of things don't work when you combine the two? Have you trained tkd yourself?

Yeah. Ive done teh tkd. You can string some nice combos together. Nothing really doesn't work. I wouldnt stand too bladed in TKD as you will eat some nasty leg kicks. You might want to learn how to kick MT style for leg kicks too

Yeah. Ive done teh tkd. You can string some nice combos together. Nothing really doesn't work. I wouldnt stand too bladed in TKD as you will eat some nasty leg kicks. You might want to learn how to kick MT style for leg kicks too

Ok cheers. Had the first boxing session today. It was great so im going back next week. My overall cardio was ok, but my muscle endurance on my arms was crap.

I watched the first video... You still have a long way to go, but don't give up!

Back