sparring videos plz help

How many beginners you had coached to judge maybe any possible talent?

What age is he

So he went out of his comfort to a different gym with pro guys and his expertise is with bjj and he is starting kickboxing

So he is new ?

Ok for a new guy it was not that bad. And when you're new rarely you're gonna do great vs pros.

He didn't asked even about ammy, he asked about sparring.

I got too much bad energy

Gooooood luck. To everyone.

So what is your reply, I need to practice positivity. Say something nice or don't say anything

I suppose that's why I made the thread... I've been training for a while but lately I feel like I've stalled out or even regressed.

That why you need to begin from the basics. Forget the sparring, forget the combos, put all that aside for now; you need to start from the very beginning. As in how to stand in a good stance. What that is will depend on whether you're doing kickboxing or Muay Thai, and later on, what your fighting style is like (punch based, kick based, etc.). Then you need to get your footwork basics down, you need to learn how to move around while remaining balanced. Once you can do that, then learn how to throw a decent jab, then start adding in movement, defence, and other strikes. This is something that you'll have to work out with your coach, that's what he's there for. Begin with the basics, get good at them, then add the next step. One thing at a time. Gotta learn to stand before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

I suppose that's why I made the thread... I've been training for a while but lately I feel like I've stalled out or even regressed.
You are paying zero attention to what your opponent is doing. A significant part of fighting is reading and adjusting to your opponent. I am assuming you have been told this by your coach ...

I only watched a little of the first video. But you look fine for a beginner. Just keep training. I do agree that the guy commentating is giving a lot of information at once though lol. One thing he said though that you should immediately start practicing is "put kicks behind your punches". IMO.

Work on relaxing, you're very jittery (again normal on newer fighters) and you're doing what I call "hollywood" punches/kicks. You leave it out almost like you're posing for a picture, make sure to snap those strikes back afterwards.

And ignore the other trolls, Unless you can find some wierd smeagle costume and show sparring in it. I think that'd be hilarious personally.

That why you need to begin from the basics. Forget the sparring, forget the combos, put all that aside for now; you need to start from the very beginning. As in how to stand in a good stance. What that is will depend on whether you're doing kickboxing or Muay Thai, and later on, what your fighting style is like (punch based, kick based, etc.). Then you need to get your footwork basics down, you need to learn how to move around while remaining balanced. Once you can do that, then learn how to throw a decent jab, then start adding in movement, defence, and other strikes. This is something that you'll have to work out with your coach, that's what he's there for. Begin with the basics, get good at them, then add the next step. One thing at a time. Gotta learn to stand before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

Switching up my stance up is actually what in doing right now with my coach, I'm used to a more sideways stance for standup fighting. Probably because I used to do some point karate as a kid but I've been adapting to a more square stance for MMA. It's been hard to adapt to and I constantly find myself in this awkward middle ground.

There isn't much to say. Your coach is giving you too much at once though, focus on ONE thing in sparring, such as keeping your chin down, for a few sessions, until it becomes instinctual, then focus on a new thing in sparring. If you're trying to focus on hands up, chin down, feinting, shot selection, all at once, it will never happen.
This was my reaction. Who can fight & receive an instruction every 5 seconds about every aspect of what your'e supposed to be doing anyway?<[analyzed}>

Last edited:
This was my reaction. Who can fight & receive an instruction every 5 seconds about every aspect of what your'e supposed to be doing anyway?<[analyzed}>

As a corner-man I'm rather quiet during the rounds to avoid distracting, I'll call for one specific thing (for my current fighter in training it's usually posture) as a reminder but a fighter has to figure some of it out themselves, proper advice should be given between rounds.

You have to have a specific goal for your student in sparring and focus on that, no point shouting for leg kicks when your guy is focusing on something else that day!

As a corner-man I'm rather quiet during the rounds to avoid distracting, I'll call for one specific thing (for my current fighter in training it's usually posture) as a reminder but a fighter has to figure some of it out themselves, proper advice should be given between rounds.

You have to have a specific goal for your student in sparring and focus on that, no point shouting for leg kicks when your guy is focusing on something else that day!
I did a lot of cornering without much experience. This is definitely the number one mistake of the inexperienced corner. Less is best, no point trying to teach someone when they are already out there, it's a little late for that.

Had my first randori today. You get no help.

I was partnered up w an instructor, & then a green belt. Lost both.

Winning wasn't the goal.

From the videos here @ TSF, I'm beginning to see how the sparring should be done, and how it adds value.

holy shit how is this sherdog oliver guy not banned yet? The guy thinks hes going to be a pro? lol.

To the OP, I saw you mentioned you feel like you have stalled.......sometimes it feels like that, but if you can improve 1% a day, by the end of the month, thats 30%!!!

You can try to find higher level guys to train with, which is always a great way to improve.

lots of light sparring.

Pick a tehcnique, and drill the hell out of it for a month or two.......then on to the next.

just a few suggestions for you to try.

Had my first randori today. You get no help.

I was partnered up w an instructor, & then a green belt. Lost both.

Winning wasn't the goal.

From the videos here @ TSF, I'm beginning to see how the sparring should be done, and how it adds value.

Yup, in a good gym/dojo you're in a safe environment to get beat up a little bit - you don't need someone buzzing in your ear when you're trying to practise. So much of fighting you can only learn by doing, so much of it you pick up subconsciously through experience.

Yup, in a good gym/dojo you're in a safe environment to get beat up a little bit - you don't need someone buzzing in your ear when you're trying to practise. So much of fighting you can only learn by doing, so much of it you pick up subconsciously through experience.
That's just how I approached this beginning randori.<Arya01>

Back