Media Sparring video : Volk vs. Yan

To be fair Yan was boxing from Southpaw for a good chunk of that.

Very hard to tell what's happening from an edited video.. also it's sparring.. i've looked good against guys who'd wipe their asses with me and the other way around..

How tf did volkanovski get so good at striking? He doesn't even have a striking background. It's bananas. It's like dillashaw all over again.

That won't knock at anyone's doors ever again if khabib is really retired
yes but people with Khabib's style fighting/grapling are in Dagestan. The place is infested with the likes of Khabib.

How tf did volkanovski get so good at striking? He doesn't even have a striking background. It's bananas. It's like dillashaw all over again.
Going to guess that sparring and being taught kickboxing by Izzy will do that to a fighter. They train in the same gym you know.

Going to guess that sparring and being taught kickboxing by Izzy will do that to a fighter. They train in the same gym you know.
I know. But that rapidly? Damn. That's next level talent. Remember petr yan has been striking for ten plus years.

I know. But that rapidly? Damn. That's next level talent. Remember petr yan has been striking for ten plus years.
It would take someone with tremendous amounts of talent to beat Max Holloway twice, and I think Volkanovski is someone who possesses that talent, along with a very cerebral fighting style.

To be perfectly honest, I'd like to see if he could be a double champ sometime down the line because surprisingly, he's not even that small of a FW and isn't that undersized at LW (166.5lbs in the ring as a featherweight).

Respect to Volk. He's a great fighter and good people. I still think Max won that second fight but Volk doesn't score his own fights.

I still think Max won that second fight but Volk doesn't score his own fights.
I think that Max not putting his foot on the pedal in the later rounds allowed Volk to take those rounds and it ended up costing Max dearly.

Apparently if you win the 4th and 5th rounds as a champ you can win the bout despite the challenger arguably winning the first 3 (Reyes), so..

KEVPIKQTJJCS7JTQBL656UBSJI.jpg

yes but people with Khabib's style fighting/grapling are in Dagestan. The place is infested with the likes of Khabib.

No, it's really not. It's infested with great wrestlers and sambo players, but I've seen plenty of those guys come into MMA and be nowhere near Khabib's level. Khabib is one of a kind in MMA.

Riddell is his striking coach
But he does spar frequently with Izzy, does he? It's likely he was given advice and some techniques from him as well.

Khabib type of animal in his weight class will maul Volk. It will look like he has no restlin at all. Volk has an answer to top level striking but he hasn't seen tom level grapling, especially TOP CONTROL a La Khabib style. That beast hasn't knocked at his doors yet.
Don't think a FW Khabib exists mate, and ffs don't say Zabit fits that bill.

Yan likes to rely on his chin, youth and conditioning.

I see him maybe lasting 2 more years before he starts to decline rapidly.

Volk's a beast in the pocket, it's just hard for him to close the distance when he's 5'6 at most and fighting guys much bigger longer than him, so he's had to develop a great game at kickboxing range as well.

Volk can certainly mix it up. It's not so much about being in the pocket as using the octagon to set up opportunities. Calculated pressure to cut off the cage is Yan's specialty.

Volk's a beast in the pocket, it's just hard for him to close the distance when he's 5'6 at most and fighting guys much bigger longer than him, so he's had to develop a great game at kickboxing range as well.

Holloway reach = 69 inches
Volk reach 71.5 inches

Volk almost 3 inches on Holloway while being half a footer shorter, which should be an advantage since he has just as much length without as much exposed torso to target.

Volk has very technical footwork and is really good at feinting into distance-closing maneuvers; his last 3 fights are technical striking battles with Aldo + Holloway X2 where he won by using an out-fighting style and avoiding prolonged exchanges in the pocket.

He's got a pretty adaptive game, as he can pressure effectively or out-fight, so seems like he can match-up with longer out-fighters or stockier wrestlers like Mendes/Elkins. So it's not like he "has" to close the distance necessarily, it's not like his opponents dance around him sniping him with jabs while he waits to counter.

I mean Yan did get outstruck by Aldo until he gassed. Not surprised.

>Volk outstriking Yan

What is this Cuck talking about? It’s brief edited footage of two dudes light sparring...

<DisgustingHHH>

Back