Sparring intimidation

beardsleybob

White Belt
Reaction score
Started sparring muay Thai first time last night. 5 rounds: 4 fighters and 1 beginner. Now one of the fighters was much smaller than me and I had no problems. Likewise with the beginner, made short work of him I'm happy to say.

But when it came to partners that i know have a big advantage(experience,speed,strength,clinch) then I just kinda stood back and couldn't string any combos together. Can anyone advise me how to break the mental barrier.

Get knocked out. It did wonders for my confidence (seriously).

maybe just counter? is the sparring after class? i find that helps. also, just try training with them only. noobs only boost your ego, they dont help you get any better. maybe you want to ask yourself if the sport is right for you. doesnt sound like you are aggressive at all, which i find is a big minus when fighting.

maybe just counter? is the sparring after class? i find that helps. also, just try training with them only. noobs only boost your ego, they dont help you get any better. maybe you want to ask yourself if the sport is right for you. doesnt sound like you are aggressive at all, which i find is a big minus when fighting.

Well I did well with a few counters, ya it was sparring after training(no head or body gear, just shinpads. Well I was only training with the fellow noob cuz there weren't many people sparring. You're right im not naturally aggressive to he honest, surely that can't be such a hindrance. I take satisfaction in the fact I got a good few hooks in on much more experienced fighters. Can't have too high standards over it.

Taking a couple shots typically gets the jitters out for me

Well I did well with a few counters, ya it was sparring after training(no head or body gear, just shinpads. Well I was only training with the fellow noob cuz there weren't many people sparring. You're right im not naturally aggressive to he honest, surely that can't be such a hindrance. I take satisfaction in the fact I got a good few hooks in on much more experienced fighters. Can't have too high standards over it.

Its not man. atleast you are not a brawler. Those ppl need a good ass whooping. personally, I think you are thinking too much because they are a 'better' fighter. let your hands go man. and jab when it doubt. Its kind of easier said than done, though. also, maybe just focus on applying what was learned in class. try to get more out of your sparring. its quite pointless throwing the jab, cross hook everytime lol.

Back