Sparring gloves with good wrist alignment?

Discipulus

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my KO Fightgear 16 oz gloves, which are starting to tear at the palm and wear down inside after several years of good use. For durability and price the KOs are hard to beat, but I don't quite like the way they force my wrist when I punch. I'm looking for some gloves that **** the wrist and fist to a proper angle, with the index and middle knuckles lined up with the wrist, rather than the pinky as with many modern gloves.

Here's a good, visible example of what I'm looking for:

1000x1000.jpg

See how the wrist is cocked in these gloves, and the pinky side of the fist naturally closed tighter than the index finger? This seems to have been a feature of some older gloves, but most gloves these days seem to focus more on thick padding as a form of protection rather than encouraging proper fist formation.

If any of you know of any suggestions that fit my needs, I'd be very appreciative (I appreciate the help in the short shorts thread I posted recently, too--I've got some orders on the way now).

I should also say that I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, so anything over 70 bucks needn't be suggested. Thanks!

If wrists is a primary concern, I would invest some time in watching and learning hand wrap techniques. A lace up glove would be the right way to go also.

If wrists is a primary concern, I would invest some time in watching and learning hand wrap techniques. A lace up glove would be the right way to go also.

It's not that. I know how to hold my wrists, and I wrap them well; I'm annoyed by gloves that won't let me hold my wrists correctly, thereby increasing the chances of injury. A lot of gloves these days you just stick your hand straight in and the padding/wraps are expected to save you from what is, frankly, a mechanically inferior wrist position.

For what it's worth, I wear Rival RB-5 bag mitts when I do virtually any kind of bag work, and they have a nice shape for a properly formed fist.

8e5cf3d132043d957a92d6230e863010.png

I was teased about using them, but I suspect that's because most people are so used to huge, heavily padded gloves that they think they need them to hit anything hard. I just want a sparring-friendly glove that mimics this fist and wrist shape.

So if you like rivals wrist, try their rb1. I know it's out of your price range but you really get what you pay for. It's their flagship glove, me and a few others here could definitely recommend those.

You've been hanging out too long in the stand-up forum with all of this wrist alignment talk :)

If you're absolutely dead set on getting gloves that line up with the first two knuckles out front, you can try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Support-Sparring-Boxing-Gloves/dp/B006TP5GSG

They are literally the worst gloves I've ever used from Ringside and offer almost no wrist support due to their terrible closure, but they have the shape you're looking for.

You can also try these Fairtex gloves with a similar front two knuckles landing first design: http://www.fightgear.com/contender_fight_sports/fairtex-stylish-angular-sparring-glove-15447.html

Though I've never tried them personally, they also come pretty poorly reviewed.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think modern glove design is as flawed as you're letting on. If you're wrist are bothering you even when wrapped well, you should try a brand known for wrist support regardless of the knuckle surface. My 2 cents.

Here's a good, visible example of what I'm looking for:

1000x1000.jpg

See how the wrist is cocked in these gloves, and the pinky side of the fist naturally closed tighter than the index finger? This seems to have been a feature of some older gloves, but most gloves these days seem to focus more on thick padding as a form of protection rather than encouraging proper fist formation.

Surprised you didnt just buy those pictured then, although they are not well made gloves.

Any Mexican brand of glove and many Mexican style gloves would be fine. There are lots of gloves out there shaped like the Solo contest gloves you pictured. Seems like you are overthinking this.

Edit: saw your budget.
http://www.doubleaboxing.com/products/White-Lace-up-Training-Gloves.html

Oh yeah not picking at u mino just didnt want the op thinking they were

You've been hanging out too long in the stand-up forum with all of this wrist alignment talk :)

If you're absolutely dead set on getting gloves that line up with the first two knuckles out front, you can try these:

http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Support-Sparring-Boxing-Gloves/dp/B006TP5GSG

They are literally the worst gloves I've ever used from Ringside and offer almost no wrist support due to their terrible closure, but they have the shape you're looking for.

You can also try these Fairtex gloves with a similar front two knuckles landing first design: http://www.fightgear.com/contender_fight_sports/fairtex-stylish-angular-sparring-glove-15447.html

Though I've never tried them personally, they also come pretty poorly reviewed.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think modern glove design is as flawed as you're letting on. If you're wrist are bothering you even when wrapped well, you should try a brand known for wrist support regardless of the knuckle surface. My 2 cents.

I think you've been hanging out too long in the Gear forum, where cushy foam is king. :wink:

In all seriousness, it's not that my wrists bother me in my current gloves. The padding and tight wrist closure do their job just fine. It's that I can't land with the knuckles I want. I'm forced into a general, vaguely balled-up fist, rather than the cocked wrist and curled fist I would use if punching bareknuckle.

I realize no glove is going to perfectly replicate that (even the Rival bag mitts alter the way I can close my fist), but I'd like one that I can use for sparring that at least comes close. I want to be able to feel my first two knuckles connecting, not the entire front of my fist at once.

Edit: Those gloves look to be stylized to have an angular look without actually lining up the wrist the way I want.

These older Cleto Reyes seem to have something of the shape I'd like:

red20ring20gloves.jpg

Surprised you didnt just buy those pictured then, although they are not well made gloves.

Any Mexican brand of glove and many Mexican style gloves would be fine. There are lots of gloves out there shaped like the Solo contest gloves you pictured. Seems like you are overthinking this.

Edit: saw your budget.
http://www.doubleaboxing.com/products/White-Lace-up-Training-Gloves.html

I don't know much about brands and models, so I wanted some recommendations of reputable brands. From what I can tell, those Solos aren't reputable.

What makes you think that those Double A gloves have the shape I'm after? From the surface they look more or less the same as most gloves.

70 bucks is a really tight margin.

But looking for wrist support and really good knuckle protection.

http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-safety-sparring-gloves-lace.html

and you just missed the 25% off the ringside sale.

but yeah, its the only glove in that tight price margin that does all you ask. Its not IMF so making a good solid fist in a 4 layered padding will give you that fist you are asking for.

Last edited:
^think that is the opposite of what he wants, doubt you'd land on your knuckles given that shape regardless of whether or not it's IMF

http://nicholasspyer.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/red20ring20gloves.jpg[/img]
These are current Reyes contest gloves, they're not older. If you've had a look through the Ringside catalogue you'd have seen them there. Go through the Title and Ringside catalogues to see if there's anything you'd want.

Suggested the Double A because they're the only Mexican style gloves I know of within that budget, but you're right that was a lazy response and you probably won't land all that well on your knuckles in them. Wrist alignment would be good though.

So far you've given examples of two contest gloves and said that's what you're after (with one being a knock-off of the other). On the off chance that 12oz is heavy enough for you, and you go very light in sparring, http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-professional-fight-gloves-12319.html , otherwise your budget needs to be reconsidered. I was going to recommend the Pro Mex at $90 from Title, but you'd probably need to cut the thumb attachment, and there'd be a very long break in period.

51pU6X3TpvL._SX300_.jpg

Best suggestion was the Fairtex with the angular strap that Cheapshot mentioned. Just ignore the fact that there's an angular strap. Wrist alignment looked good and you'd be landing on your knuckles in them so long as you don't have long fingers. If you can get to $125, consider the gloves mentioned in my signature, as they'd be safer for your sparring partners.

Edit: http://gsboxing.com/details.php?iD=1-0-0-7

Last edited:
You've made a weird request op. Why again don't you want to land with anything but your front 2 knuckles? Is it because of that video Sin made?

In all honesty, I would do what works for you, that video was nice and instructional but it doesn't work for me. Look for something that complements your style.

In my personal experience trying Sins method, my thumb almost got jammed because I'm limited to only 2 knuckles. I find it more comfortable to just let my natural fist go as it wants.

Best suggestion was the Fairtex with the angular strap that Cheapshot mentioned. Just ignore the fact that there's an angular strap. Wrist alignment looked good and you'd be landing on your knuckles in them so long as you don't have long fingers.

I did a review on these Fairtex gloves and aside from the shitty padding and leather, it's really easy to punch properly with them. After 6 months, I think I managed to start breaking them in. The primary issue is the tough padding that is in direct contact with your knuckles which makes it painful. Otherwise, they offer really good wrist support and alignment. However, I really would not recommend them for hard sparring unless your partner is a tough SOB with good headgear... Also, I don't think fightgear has them in the 16oz.

^think that is the opposite of what he wants, doubt you'd land on your knuckles given that shape regardless of whether or not it's IMF

These are current Reyes contest gloves, they're not older. If you've had a look through the Ringside catalogue you'd have seen them there. Go through the Title and Ringside catalogues to see if there's anything you'd want.

Suggested the Double A because they're the only Mexican style gloves I know of within that budget, but you're right that was a lazy response and you probably won't land all that well on your knuckles in them. Wrist alignment would be good though.

So far you've given examples of two contest gloves and said that's what you're after (with one being a knock-off of the other). On the off chance that 12oz is heavy enough for you, and you go very light in sparring, http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-professional-fight-gloves-12319.html , otherwise your budget needs to be reconsidered. I was going to recommend the Pro Mex at $90 from Title, but you'd probably need to cut the thumb attachment, and there'd be a very long break in period.

51pU6X3TpvL._SX300_.jpg

Best suggestion was the Fairtex with the angular strap that Cheapshot mentioned. Just ignore the fact that there's an angular strap. Wrist alignment looked good and you'd be landing on your knuckles in them so long as you don't have long fingers. If you can get to $125, consider the gloves mentioned in my signature, as they'd be safer for your sparring partners.

Edit: http://gsboxing.com/details.php?iD=1-0-0-7

Alright, seems like I'll have to reconsider that budget of 70 bucks, then. That's alright. I'm wary about buying some gloves online for much more than that, but I'm not sure there's any place within 100 miles of my house that actually sells anything but Neverlasts.

So it seems like Mexican style gloves are what I'm after? Is there something about Mexican manufacturing that makes you fellas think they all tend to favor the wrist alignment I'm after? And how are those G&S gloves, quality-wise?

I'd love to get a pair of Reyes training gloves, but I don't think I can afford those at all. Those Winning clones in your signature do look lovely. You say they don't offer great wrist support, but that might actually make it easier for me to **** my wrists the way I like.

You've made a weird request op. Why again don't you want to land with anything but your front 2 knuckles? Is it because of that video Sin made?

In all honesty, I would do what works for you, that video was nice and instructional but it doesn't work for me. Look for something that complements your style.

In my personal experience trying Sins method, my thumb almost got jammed because I'm limited to only 2 knuckles. I find it more comfortable to just let my natural fist go as it wants.

It does work for me. I'd rather not be mashing my whole fist into the target, but driving through with the strongest part of my hand, i.e. the first two knuckles. The force transference isn't different, but the focus of impact is much more to my liking. If I'm gonna be knocking heads around either way, I'd rather be smashing noses and cutting eyebrows in the process.

Thanks for all the help so far, guys! So far I am interested in those Winning clones. They look really nice.

I'd love to get a pair of Reyes training gloves, but I don't think I can afford those at all. Those Winning clones in your signature do look lovely. You say they don't offer great wrist support, but that might actually make it easier for me to **** my wrists the way I like.

Yes, that's what I figured, so I could see you liking them. You can land on your knuckles properly, albeit there is a lot of padding.

Those G&S are as well made as the KOFG, if they're still made in the same way as the pair my friend bought four or five years back. When I tried them on last, I felt like you could make a good fist in them, of course better than that you get with KOFG.

By "Mexican style", that really is just meant to refer to something with a longer cuff, more streamlined, and less padding over the knuckles, and able to land properly on your front two knuckles in them hopefully. Like the Reyes training gloves, or those Pro Mex I posted up above.

Last edited:
So guys, if I go with the TopBoxers (which I'm heavily considering), should I opt for velcro or lace-ups? I won't often have someone with me to lace up my gloves, but I considered that lace-ups with elastic laces might still offer a bit more wrist support than velcro straps, and a bit more of a fight glove feel.

Anyone tried this, and can anyone experienced with Muhammad's gloves lend me some advice?

In my opinion, elastic laces do not offer better support than wide velcros. BTW, I sent you an email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back