Sparring a girl?

I've kick boxed with a girl before. Granted, I took it easy on her. She didn't do the same. I had easily 100 pounds on her, but she still clocked me clean on the jaw.

Two weeks ago I sparred with a girl during MT training, she was definitely more technical than me and had been training longer. I went lighter and she gave me a nice thigh/ass bruise from leg kicking the same spot over and over. I didn't feel it at the time but did two days later. I would do it again.

Another time, different girl, praticing MT plum, a little more awkward, basically forced to motorboat her for the entire drill.

Two weeks ago I sparred with a girl during MT training, she was definitely more technical than me and had been training longer. I went lighter and she gave me a nice thigh/ass bruise from leg kicking the same spot over and over. I didn't feel it at the time but did two days later. I would do it again.

Another time, different girl, praticing MT plum, a little more awkward, basically forced to motorboat her for the entire drill.

Man this thread is hilarious. You motor-boating son of a bitch you!

i would for example
i used to be a lot skinnier so the coaches would feel most comfortable having me spar with the women at the gym
i always felt weird at first but depending on the girl the problem usually solved itself
just once a girl was an ammy boxer and she clocked me good so she tried to do the same thing again and i countered her withleft hook she moved into and it hit her cleanly on the temple plus i was throwing with a little heat cuse i just got caught. man that was a real wakeup call,my ex was right i really am a douche

Never sparred a girl, but I have rolled (bjj) with some.

During one seminar I partnered with a very hot girl - anyhow I'm waiting in her guard as she's listening to instructions (with her feel down and legs apart) and I turn and see my
then-girlfriend (who hadn't expected to turn up) giving the evil stink eye.

My three-some proposal was not met with laughter.

female jealousy kills hobbies like martial arts.

You're doing a disservice to them if you go any lighter against women than you would against a man of equal skill. You owe it to them to challenge them so that they can actually learn something.

Of course you should control, but that applies to men to...

Nothing pisses a girl off more than a patronising man going easy on her. I'm not talking about the boxercise bitches in makeup looking to flirt, but women who have taken up the sport and work hard at it.

As someone has already said, treat it as a massive weight advantage. A heavyweight wouldn't try and take a middleweight's head off his shoulders, but he wouldn't insult him by patting him around like a child either. Treat them as you would a serious but lighter partner.

(unless she's Lucia Rijker, in which case you should try and clock the bitch before she takes you apart)

I loved sparring with the women at my gym, because I know if im sparring them their not going to get hurt by some jack ass. I work on my defense and let them swing away then instead of punching I pie face them.

I had a girl as my main sparring partner for like a year. She was bigger than me and the national champ so I didn't have to watch my power too much. When she left my gym, my skill level dropped off.

Exactly. I dunno about some of the others here, but at my gym the top standup fighters are women. If I'm sparring a pro or amateur champion I will definitely take all the shots I see. I still go light due to weight advantage, but I don't play around at all because I'll get my ass kicked otherwise.

If it's a less experienced female fighter, I'll just pump light jabs to force her to fight, working defense when she attacks.

I may catch some flak for this but anyhow...
I hate stand up training with women, unless they are seasoned and competitive. Any beginner-intermediate level female partner is no bueno in my opinion. A couple reasons. #1 When I am training I don't like dealing with having to think about everything contained in this very thread and #2 I just plain feel like I am not getting anything out of it.
Yeah I guess you can work defense and such, but honestly, I really don't want to work my defense against a non skilled female...not going to help me when I am in the ring IMO. At least against a non skilled male their insticts will be more likened to what you would encounter in a self defense situation outside of the ring---so i guess there is some benifit there.
I have nothing against women training and have trained with some excellent female fighters. Its just my experience with the tiny beginner that shows up to the advanced class that bothers me...call me selfish but it takes time away from my training, and thats not what I pay for.

man i don't care if it's a woman or a guy.
if they are a beginner, it sucks anyway, gender doesn't matter.

I remember doing Gjj and being paired with a girl for their street defense locks and the particular one was for a waist grab from behind so to counter it she had to bend over against me with my arms around her hips to grab my leg then put her butt right in my face while she secured a knee bar of sorts..

Did i mention i love GJJ? :p

But amusing awkwardness aside i have no problem sparring with a female i think pushing them is doing them a service if anything because they will be better prepared to protect themselves outside of school if they have to.

The guys who are put to spar females, usually dont have much power anyways and play it safe.

I think its always awkward that you have to stare at their chest during stand up. You want to watch their shoulders for movement, but you always feel like such a perve. And the clinch work is really awkward too.

I think its always awkward that you have to stare at their chest during stand up. You want to watch their shoulders for movement, but you always feel like such a perve. And the clinch work is really awkward too.

Some girl asked me: Are you staring at my boobs? So I responded 'yes' .. and she said: Cool

true story

my point: who gives a shit, i love playing with them but besides that they are just boobs

I have no problem. My gym has a lot of girls. It's good for both genders. The girls get used to getting hit, and they'll most likely won't get hit as hard by another girl, so they shake of shots come fight time easier. And for the dudes it helps us work on technique and defense. There are exceptions though. This one girl I know (She just won a world amateur championship in her weight division) she hits like a truck, and I don't have to pull back as much for her

Nothing pisses a girl off more than a patronising man going easy on her. I'm not talking about the boxercise bitches in makeup looking to flirt, but women who have taken up the sport and work hard at it.

As someone has already said, treat it as a massive weight advantage. A heavyweight wouldn't try and take a middleweight's head off his shoulders, but he wouldn't insult him by patting him around like a child either. Treat them as you would a serious but lighter partner.

(unless she's Lucia Rijker, in which case you should try and clock the bitch before she takes you apart)

You bring up a very good point.

The guys who are put to spar females, usually dont have much power anyways and play it safe.

Fail. I hit reasonably hard. And I've seen guys who are monstrously heavy hitters spar with girls.:rolleyes:

katie taylor the best p4p womens am destroyed a fella from my gym in sparring.it was a slaughter

Back