Soy- does it lower testosterone/raise estrogen

One of the issues I have with roasted nuts is that PUFA's go rancid super quick from the roasting process....that and most of them tend to be omega-6 bombs. I feel better now that I've eliminated nuts from my diet, my stomach is in much better shape. Some people can handle seeds and nuts pretty well though....lucky ducks.
Yeah dude didn't even realize the omega 6 content of almonds until like last year. Madness

The idea of phytoestrogens binding to estrogen receptor sites is not theoretical whatsoever

I would agree it may have been blown out of proportion though depending on what form is consumed. Humans have been consuming soy for thousands of years but it was fermented. Much like gluten issues are a relatively modern thing yet we've been consuming bread for thousands of years with no issue. Modern processing seems to be the biggest culprit

But maybe more research Also needs to be done

I know after going out my sushi, my nips never fail to puff up like crazy. Anecdotally I have a fairly keen sense of what foods or supplements have an estrogenic effect.

I think some people are also highly sensitive to phyto / xenoestrogens and it can cause more imbalance for their hormones than others though
I swear after I eat soy and other supposedly estrogenic foods that my nipples feel sensitive. I hate the feeling and don't think it's all in my head.

I heard a similar effect can happen when you eat meat from animals that consume soy. I pretty much only want to eat organic food that I make myself. Kind of sucks because I like restaurants but it saves money.

I swear after I eat soy and other supposedly estrogenic foods that my nipples feel sensitive. I hate the feeling and don't think it's all in my head.

I heard a similar effect can happen when you eat meat from animals that consume soy. I pretty much only want to eat organic food that I make myself. Kind of sucks because I like restaurants but it saves money.
Yeah, anecdotally it's impossible for me to argue that soy has some negative influence on hormones

There's always like a sort of puffiness as well

Just get some DIM / Indole 3 carbinol, it will balance /detox out excess estrogens for when you might have a shitty meal

Gotta live too

Yeah, anecdotally it's impossible for me to argue that soy has some negative influence on hormones

There's always like a sort of puffiness as well

Just get some DIM / Indole 3 carbinol, it will balance /detox out excess estrogens for when you might have a shitty meal

Gotta live too
Yea, I have dim and also sulforaphane.

Phytoestrogens have 1/10,000 the potency of the estrogen floating around in our bodies. Everyone is different, so its possible someone may feel the effects of soy after consumption. Think we really need to put this one to bed though.

Last edited:
Phytoestrogens have 1/10,000 the potency of the estrogen floating around in our bodies. Everyone is different, so its possible someone may feel the effects of soy after consumption. Think we really need to put this one to bed though.

Which is why actual research with a big sample size looking at estrogen sensitive cancers is considered to be more legitimate than the anecdotes of the puffy nipple gang.

It doesn't seem to, no. So much bullshit bro science out there it's insane. Whether that be veganism, nightshades, paleo diet, keto, carbs, whatever. It's all about context, and while diet recommendation are somewhat overarching, diet responses are individual. Too many conmen and snakeoilsalesmen out there trying to make a buck using fads as absolutes.

Last edited:
so, this is anecdotal, lol, but, on top of the lack of potency of phytoestrogens, Ive got a buddy who just got prescribed phytoestrogens by his doctor in order to raise his testosterone. The theory being that your body works to balance estro and test, and the phytoestrogens, though not powerful as estrogens, still are a marker for estrogen.

i like the comment below you about the puffy nipple gang, lol. The guys who are actually raging estrofactories and are basically crossing their arms and stamping their feet about being told to eat their vegetables.

haha, i've never heard of that happening, good be good or bad i guess? i've been drinking soymilk (maybe 1-2 cups on average?) for years and haven't noticed any changes for better or worse. im 36, have normal libido, 2 healthy sons...nothing out of the ordinary.

but it can be an allergen, just like wheat or dairy...find what foods your body likes. too many tomatoes or peppers burn up my wife's gut, i think that 'nightshade' plant allergy definitely gets some people

Which is why actual research with a big sample size looking at estrogen sensitive cancers is considered to be more legitimate than the anecdotes of the puffy nipple gang.
{<jordan}

Both soy protein and pea protein seem to make me a little weaker. I lift pretty much near max for my work-outs, and over 20 years I've become pretty aware and in tune with what makes me a little stronger or a little weaker. Some things can have different effects on different people. The hypertensive property of coffee/caffeine makes me lose a rep if a drink a large cup or two. That's just me.

I'm eating soy and tofu almost every day, not a veggie though, but I simply like the food. About the longevity, some people say it affects, some it doesn't. About sports performance, I suggest you visit a doctor and do some tests, different people tolerate different food.

i avoided tofu all together due to many peope telling me about it being horrible for athletic men so seems majority think tofu is ok huh. iv never actually tried it but if its ok i might could use it as a easy way of getting extra protein

i avoided tofu all together due to many peope telling me about it being horrible for athletic men so seems majority think tofu is ok huh. iv never actually tried it but if its ok i might could use it as a easy way of getting extra protein
I think tofu is really good. Most dudes slag it off without ever trying it.

I also like tofu very much, but since I read some articles that soy can affect the testosterone and estrogen level in the body, I eat less soy products.

Back