sore calves/legs

RJ Powell**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Simply put, when i am running/skipping rope, my legs get sore and burn up LONG before my lungs do, so i never get some good cardio going while doing LSD, or at least i am never able to get to that point cause the muscle soreness causes me to stop before i can "get going" so to speak.

I have pretty large powerful calfs, and i go hard in powerlifting 3x week. so i don't know what the problem is here. Could this be a muscle endurance issue?

How would i remedy this issue? Should i just keep working at doing LSD until my muscles aren't sore anymore?

I'm really confused here because doing sprints works my lungs/cardio real well, and i don't get sore that fast doing them. I have even come a long way in powerlifting, but slow/moderate steady running/skipping is really challenging me.

input?

How long have you been skipping for?

It does sound like a muscle endurance issue, so I say keep at it.

i had something similar happen to me 2 years ago and i never had the soreness before that point or after

lasted like 2 months about, i couldnt even run for 2 minutes before i had to stop from the pain

i just stopped running for a while, rested up and it was all good

could be a hydration issue but maybe u just wanna give it a break for a little bit before starting up again

just a suggestion

I'm gonna go with the majority here and say if it's just soreness, or burning like lactic acid, push it. If it becomes a more sharp, stabbing pain, or feels like it's deeper than the surface muscles, stop and consult a physician.

It sounds like you have a biomechanical issue. Look into, amongst other issues, "shin splints" on google and see if that sounds like your symptoms.

You also might need better shoes, or shoes with increased stabilization. You might also need to improve your running technique and/or rest up!

I wrote about this in another thread

I used to have this problem a long long time ago. Started doing cardio and before I could break a decent sweat my calves would start cramping for feeling burned out.

I stretched before my workout and I figured the solution would be to stretch even more and it would go away- it didn't.

The solution to this problem is not to stretch before you do cardio (or any workout) but to do dynamic stretching where you swing your limps around like this

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevanc...sis_fedor-emelianenko-in-korea-sambo-cl_sport

and on other websites online where you can find good moves. And then do your static stretching where you hold it for 30 seconds aftewards.

(notice Fedor laughing to the point of tears at the 1:15 mark of that video. lol)

good luck

I have had the same problems. At first I thought it was hydration. I tried hydrating well before workouts and even that didn't help. After that I just attributed it to the impact and my age.

BayAreaGuy indicates cold stretching is probably the problem. I do some of that before running, although it is not deep or anything. I will have to try what he says.

You might also try supplementing with magnesium / calcium... that is recommended for night-time calf cramps but it might help your situation.

Back