sore achy joints

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Fenderson, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Im training hard for a fight in 4 weeks. Trainings going great, but I seem to be jarring fingers easily and my neck and knees are particulary stiff and sore.

Is there anything you can recommend supplement wise that could possibly help?

2. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I doubt there are any dietary changes that you could make to help in 4 weeks.

Stick to tride and true recovery / prehab methods;

- stretch often (dynamic stretching prior to training, static stretching after, static stretching whenever you get the opportunity in between)

- RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). This will help considerably.

- foam roll / myofascial release (this is the bee's knees for deep tissue recovery)

- contrast showers. There's debate on the actual effectiveness of this.

- Ice baths. This is the most uncomfortable method by far. This would fall under the umbrella of the RICE method mentioned above, but is worth noting.

- Saunas / hot tubs / Epson salt bath - all feel pretty good. People tend to overdo it though. They believe if a few minutes are good, then more must be better. Not true. The point is to help the body recover, not dehydrate it, so a few minutes will suffice.

- Heat pads - These actually work best in conjunction with ice. Unfortunately, the acronym, RIHCE sounds less cool so people tend to leave it out. However, any type of heat will usually help loosen the fascia.

Properly warm up before training. This will help more than almost anything, especially as you age. Most people believe they warm up enough, but they really don't. A legit warm up will have you sweating. Not just a little perspiration, but a full on sweat. If you have to show up to training early in order to do this, it will definitely help in the long run.

I'm probably missing some others. If I come up with more I'll add them.

TheLuckiest and Screwtape like this.
  3. Fenderson

Fenderson Purple Belt

Thank you KILL KILL. I have been concentrating recently on really warming up properly and I certainly feel better for it. Ive also started massaging my hips which have been a problem area for a long time and it seems to be making a real difference. Thanks for your post. I really appreciate it.

4. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

Taking 1-2 nice long relaxing epsolm salt baths a week are a miracle cure during fight camp.

As kill mentioned, these can be dehydrating aka drink water/gatorade/etc while soaking up.

5. 560ti

560ti Brown Belt

Kill Kill gave a great post above.

Adding to what he said I have had good luck with the product called "Neotica" (rub it on my neck, muscles around knees, and shoulders whenever i'm sore). Other alternative is Namman Muay

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Brown Belt

Is a glucosamine supplement effective at helping with joint soreness or inflammation over the short- or long haul? (In addition to the RICE methods suggested already, of course.)

7. TheLuckiest

TheLuckiest Black Belt

I was going to recommend glucosamine chondroitin. It will help, but not in a 4 week period. I practically disintegrated my meniscus in my right leg. My doc recommended that and a lot of stationary bike (any sustained low impact exercise that I could handle). Took about a year but my knees have never felt better.

Don't worry about WebMD. Just check out the references and read the studies. The science is pretty solid that the supplement does work.

http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/tc/glucosamine-and-chondroitin-topic-overview

Screwtape likes this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape Brown Belt

Thanks for the info.

TheLuckiest likes this.