Sophisticated Arm Drag from Butterfly Guard

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I just found this little gem with no likes and 85 views, but it looks really good. He's got details.

[YT]lcdHdFCyAnM[/YT]

I'm sure it's good but the guy laying down in a crucified position fucked up my attention.

I just found this little gem with no likes and 85 views, but it looks really good. He's got details.

[YT]lcdHdFCyAnM[/YT]

Good details on the arm drag, but the back take is sloppy. Someone experienced is going to be connecting their opposite side elbow to their inner thigh, which means it's going to be hard to get the foot in. Additionally, you create space when trying to move that much. When guys do that to me, I'm able to roll into them and regain half guard from the space created.

A better method, instead of trying to go up and over onto the back, is to get a good seat belt grip and then drag them onto their side so that you're on their back. Sort of drag them into the pocket, so to speak.

At 1:07 is kind of what I'm talking about, but because you have a hook in, the base doesn't matter. The other back take shown is pretty sweet too though! Definitely something good to know if the person your rolling with more experienced, as they can make it a pain to get hooks in at all from turtle.

^ Agreed.

Not to sound like an elitist, but a lot of these moves are already taught by the highest level competitors and great teachers- like Marcelo, Mendes, Caio, etc- no real need to reinvent the wheel- unless you just copy verbatim what they teach.

These guys will often give you situations and reactions done by true world class opponents, which is often different than if you are a black belt rolling with your students.

(IE- in the video, as mentioned above, a good guy isnt going to get flattened out that easily just by you turning your hip)

Lol. I was thinking the same as the other two posters. The technique for the arm drag is pretty good. The back take didn't seem that great though. I used to do that one but big guys with a good base and techniques won't let you climb over them like that.

Back