sooo today.....

lowdown1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was so excited to find out a judo BB started training with us(I have ben on a mission to improve my judo) so hes from France and speaks little English, anyway i'm trying to get him to show me the throw he has the most success with in competition.So i'm asking him whats your favorite throw what do you have the most success with etc. he has about zero idea what i'm asking him. Anyway I say competition success and he goes ohhhh competition ok... grabs me I resist a little confused,and WHAP he hits a Uchi Mata on me full speed and follows me to the ground with his shoulder. I'm laying thare on the ground seeing stars, he gets up like oh sorry I thought you mean us competition. Was a little pissed at first but everyone elce thought it was hilarious. Outside looking in i'm sure it was.He apologized and is going to work my throws with me once a week now:icon_lol:

First off, how coincidental. We have a French judo BB at our academy as well, haha.

Second, haha. He thought you wanted to compete with him? That must have been funny. And an uchimata to boot. Nice. Glad to hear you'll be working your throws with him. Do you happen to know his dan?

no I'm not sure what his dan lvl was but man his throw sure felt perfect. And left me hurting ha, But I'm glad to have him and I'm going to make sure I explain slowly that I would like to see a throw S-L-O-W then I will just push a whitebelt at him next time and see what happens lol

Lol had an olympic judo guy from Russia come in and train. We started from our knees and he threw me from his knees and lets just say it game me a headache soooooo bad. And he Ko'd a friend of mine with a foot sweep.

Perfect throws can be misleading. After all, people tell me that my ogoshi is just astonishingly smooth, and I'm not even ranked in judo.

However, you will still be getting BB instruction so lucky you. Not many people have access to a judo BB to help with the standup.

Best advice I can give you is to work mostly trips to start with. They're a great way to learn how to control your opponent to set things up. Kouchigari and kosotogari are great starting moves.

On the up side, now you know what throw he has success with.

I had a headache for about an hour after, lets just say butt scooting into groundwork might be in my future

wait till you are standing with him and giving him all he can handle.

you are going to be the fucking man.

Am I the only one whose bjj instructor actually teaches throws? It always seems that when a bjj practitioner on here encounters a judoka, it's like some novel and rare experience.

Am I the only one whose bjj instructor actually teaches throws? It always seems that when a bjj practitioner on here encounters a judoka, it's like some novel and rare experience.

We learn throws and takedowns. I think our schools are the only schools around here that actually train from a standing position. I know at Serra's they usually start from their knees.

QFT - we have like five judo bbs at my gym.

It seems to be the case. Any thread where someone mentions the weak takedowns of BJJ a handful of guys come on here and are like "Wait, we do takedowns all the time." as if it s the norm. But the more you read the board the more you start to realize that many schools dont teach takedowns at all and even more do it sparingly..i.e. once per week or less.

Anyway to TS having a good takedown game will help your BJJ quite a bit!

We do a mix of throws and wrestling takedowns.

Nope, Shawn Williams teaches Judo the majority of the time. He also teaches wrestling :D

The first 1/3 of our gi classes is standup, and the first 1/2 of our nogi classes is standup.

We learn throws and takedowns. I think our schools are the only schools around here that actually train from a standing position. I know at Serra's they usually start from their knees.

Remind me...Emerson Souza, right?

I mean we sometimes start on the knees in our gi class. Maybe 50/50.

In no gi we almost always go feet to floor. We only start from our knees if we did exclusively takedowns earlier in the class, like one guy in the middle and rotating opponents with just takedowns.

All I'm saying is that sometimes it seems like people are like "wow, a wrestler/judoka, now I can learn what takedowns are!" BJJ is a groundfighting specialty art, and everything revolves around the guard, but takedowns shouldn't be neglected.

No, Master Carlos and Kayron have both showed us the Uchi-mata and some other throws in our Advanced curriculum.

No, Master Carlos and Kayron have both showed us the Uchi-mata and some other throws in our Advanced curriculum.

I'm not sure if this was a joke or not. I'm talking about training takedowns (not just one) regularly, and for all levels.

I'm not sure if this was a joke or not. I'm talking about training takedowns (not just one) regularly, and for all levels.

Not a joke. We do some takedowns but if it's shown, it only takes up usually 1/3rd of the class.

Fundamentals class often consists of warmups, followed by standup technique or self defense, followed by 2 different things on the ground. Usually a sub, sweep, or escape. Then 15 minutes of situational sparring (from a designated position) where we can practice what we learned in class. Advanced class has more sparring (around 25-30mins) and then there's a Live Sparring class (1 hour).

The standup techniques are shown in both Fundamentals and Advanced. Some throws are in Fundamentals but I think naturally Advanced has more of the complex ones.

Back