Sony patents guided microtransaction system to sell in-game shortcuts

Did this guy just edit the other comment instead of replying? I specifically even mentioned a mainstream and an indie...

Also a game can be indie and mainstream. Hotline miami was mainstream....

Isaac was too, infact it spawned a whole sub genre.

I dont know why I seven reply to this guy, he's an idiot.

Ubisoft has done this a bit in their AC games. They made it really hard to level and continue the main story so you need to do side quest to level up (their is plenty of side quest). It would take forever though without their level boosting DLC. I waited for the game to drop to like $20 and then bought the level boost.
Last one I played was the Egypt one and it was super hard to progress. I gave up.

Let me be as pedantic as you are being right now.

Soulsborne is made up of two popular games and doesnt contain "Sekiro". Sekiro is probably too different to even be under that category....

Ill mention something that you wouldnt expect "The Witness" -> an annoying puzzler game thats pretty hard later on.

Id say Remake 2, just recently if you start with hardcore is really difficult. That was really mainstream.

lolz @ differentiating sekiro

lolz @ naming the witness - a niche indie game. a niche indie puzzle game.

lolz @ not even remake 2, but a mode of it.

you realize you're supporting MY claim, right? where's this wealth of hard games you promised? even if i play devil's advocate and pretend sekiro wasn't soulsborne, that's ONE game that meets your criteria. one game, more harder games than ever!

Did this guy just edit the other comment instead of replying? I specifically even mentioned a mainstream and an indie...

Also a game can be indie and mainstream. Hotline miami was mainstream....

Isaac was too, infact it spawned a whole sub genre.

I dont know why I seven reply to this guy, he's an idiot.

lolz @ being unable to follow this.

lolz @ calling hotline miami mainstream (devolver? seriously, man?!)
lolz @ calling isaac mainstream. and spawning a genre. lolwut? it's a roguelike. know what insipred the genre? ROGUE.

ok, you clearly know little to nothing about this topic.

<{outtahere}>

It's obviously just another way to extract money - isn't the first won't be the last. From the language used in the article, it sounds like you're paying to cheat, not simply for tips (which, as an aside, if you can't be arsed to look up something on the internets or ask a friend, that game and possibly gaming in general isn't for you). Modern gameshark? Lol.

It sounds weasel-y. What's the point of playing then? It defeats the entire purpose. If the game isn't engaging you enough to keep plugging away then don't play.

Then there's the potential, I'd say inevitable downsides as others have mentioned, such as games being made in such a way as to encourage these micro uses of resources.

Last one I played was the Egypt one and it was super hard to progress. I gave up.

lol that one actually isn't that bad. The one after that takes it to the next level and I purposely waited for it to get to $20 so the total price I paid was $30 (XP bonus is $10). Which is what I feel is a good price for an AC game. Normally I would just outright not buy a game that does this but I honestly love the AC series to much to just boycott them.

It sounds weasel-y. What's the point of playing then? It defeats the entire purpose.

while i agree, i've read thousands of posts over the years that indicate people will 'play' through 'games' just to collect pixel trophies.

ie: the ps+ subreddit and the bewildering discussions that happened with people about bad games that weren't really even games but people should 'play' them for the easy trophies. i wish i was making this up.

Then there's the potential, I'd say inevitable downsides as others have mentioned, such as games being made in such a way as to encourage these micro uses of resources.

To me this is the main issue. I have no problems with devs finding new ways to make some money off people who want to do that. I personally wouldn't bother doing it but if someone wants to, has the money, and is willing to spend it what do I care? Especially for single player games. Like you said though is they just start making it so they sort of force you to do it then we have a problem. Then again what are they going to do make all their games as hard as a Dark Souls game? Could end up losing tons of customers if people start hearing the games are that hard.

To me this is the main issue. I have no problems with devs finding new ways to make some money off people who want to do that. I personally wouldn't bother doing it but if someone wants to, has the money, and is willing to spend it what do I care? Especially for single player games. Like you said though is they just start making it so they sort of force you to do it then we have a problem. Then again what are they going to do make all their games as hard as a Dark Souls game? Could end up losing tons of customers if people start hearing the games are that hard.
My opinion of this "resource" use aside, I have no problem with it either, in a vacuum where it never affects gameplay for those who don't make use of it. I find it hard to envision at least some developers not attempting to game (pardon the pun) the system though. I'm curious to see how this unfolds. I imagine the ones who do try will be clever and perhaps there will be other incentives in using these transactions.

I don't think it'll break gaming by any means, just give people something else to look out for.

lol that one actually isn't that bad. The one after that takes it to the next level and I purposely waited for it to get to $20 so the total price I paid was $30 (XP bonus is $10). Which is what I feel is a good price for an AC game. Normally I would just outright not buy a game that does this but I honestly love the AC series to much to just boycott them.
I might get that. I really want to like these games. Black Flag was probably my favorite game of all time.

In a round-about way they patented paying for different difficulty settings. It's as brilliant as it is detestable.

I might get that. I really want to like these games. Black Flag was probably my favorite game of all time.

If the leveling was the only thing bothering you then yea I would just get it. Some of the side quest can be interesting but who knows which ones they are and I'm not going to bother trying to track them down. Most of them are just nonsense though. AC Odyssey is a bit better cause you're doing side quest for famous people like Socrates so it can be a bit more interesting still plenty of shit quest though.

My opinion of this "resource" use aside, I have no problem with it either, in a vacuum where it never affects gameplay for those who don't make use of it. I find it hard to envision at least some developers not attempting to game (pardon the pun) the system though. I'm curious to see how this unfolds. I imagine the ones who do try will be clever and perhaps there will be other incentives in using these transactions.

I don't think it'll break gaming by any means, just give people something else to look out for.

Yep the best thing you can do is what I did with the AC games. They made leveling so hard just to continue the game that you are pretty much forced to buy the bonus xp pack unless you just love doing boring ass side quest. So I just wait till the price drops to below what I normally pay ($30) then I add in the cost of bonus XP DLC. So I buy the game at $20 and spend an extra $10 for the bonus XP pack. I have to wait longer to play the games but with my backlog I'm in no rush to play almost anything these days.

Hopefully this ends up being used for process improvements within a workforce, such as monitoring pathways that individuals take to get to information to enhance call centre response times.

It's a bad development, but I'm hoping it doesn't affect the sort of people who visit video game forums.

Some large percentage of players hardly finish any of the games they play, much less play on higher difficulty settings. My hope is that this is designed in such a way that it only really affects those players.

Sekiro is probably too different to even be under that category....

giphy.gif

Yet it plays exactly like them in terms of narrative, progression, mechanics, bosses, the lot of it?
Just cause you don't have points to allocate or just a katana with which you can deflect, doesn't mean Sekiro isn't just as much a 'soulsborne' like the rest of them. Cause it is.

Imagine buying a single player game and then spending extra on it to beat the game.

I think a lot of devs will design their games around this if it doesn't get a ton of backlash or makes no money.

Sad to see where gaming got... everyone trying to extract as much money out of the player as possible, in mobile apps it often feels like that is the main idea and game concept comes in second.

Yet it plays exactly like them in terms of narrative, progression, mechanics, bosses, the lot of it?
How is the narrative in Sekiro exactly like BB or DS? Its so straightforward (DS and BB are cryptic), RPG elements are essentially stripped out, the game is more vertical, that it plays like Spiderman 2018 at times.

There is an over reliance on defeating minibosses to progress unlike DS and BB. There are so many more difference that I can mention.

Is it drastically different? Id say so.

Back