Sony patents guided microtransaction system to sell in-game shortcuts

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by jefferz, Feb 10, 2020.

1. jefferz Steel Belt

This is just what we need...

Sony's latest patent has an on-screen prompt that tries to convince gamers to buy microtransaction shortcuts to quickly defeat bosses
    By Derek Strickland | Feb 9, 2020 06:48 pm CST

The PlayStation Network could start natively serving up convenience microtransactions on a platform level.
    Sony's latest patent is extremely interesting. Basically it's an integrated system that automatically reminds gamers about time-saving microtransactions, and gives real-time stats on how said convenience shortcuts could help them save time. The patent also covers a lot of bases that aren't necessarily related to in-game purchases.
    The system, for example, will give you tips on how to defeat the bosses via materials, weapons, and items found naturally in the game. Gamers can ask for help within the system itself, e.g. how to defeat a certain boss or get past a certain obstacle, and the system will give a solution. This version of the patent actually sounds pretty great, kind of like a built-in guide or on-screen tip system within the game that gives you key info on how to proceed.
    But it's the microtransaction angle that has the most impact on today's live service-dominated market.
    The system could be a huge breadwinner for publishers who routinely monetize their game. Think of this method as guided microtransactions.
    The idea is simple: When you get to a boss and die a bunch, the game would pause and remind you that most users were able to beat the boss quicker if they spent money on a certain resource. Then, of course, you'd click the on-screen prompt to be brought to a storefront to directly buy the "resource."
    Remember that Sony has a vested interest in microtransactions too, even if they're not included in first-party PlayStation games. Sony gets a 30% cut of all revenues made on the PlayStation Store or PlayStation Network. This of course includes microtransactions.

Here's a summary of the patent itself:

A player generally must rely on a combination of trial and error, guesswork, and research such as by asking a friend when deciding on which item, add-on, or upgrade to obtain in order to achieve a goal. Even then, the player may have to experiment with a number of items, add-ons, and/or upgrades, before arriving at one that is most effective for their particular objective, character, style of play, etc.

Thus, there is currently a disconnect between players and the resources available to them within a game, and more particularly those resources most suitable for the individual player's circumstances, character, and playstyle.

When players become frustrated with their repeated failures to accomplish some objective, there is a higher likelihood that the player will quit the game and not experience the totality of what the game is intended to offer.

There is thus a need and a benefit to develop and integrate an in-game platform to match players with those resources that are most likely to help them succeed in view of the player's playstyle and behavior both within the game in question as well as across a plurality of additional games the player participates in. There is moreover, a need and benefit for game publishers and virtual store platforms to be able to identify specific in-game resources that would complement the player in their gameplay and communicate the same to them.

In some embodiments, selection of various resources may require a form of payment, for example by using virtual currency or real money.

In some embodiments, the selection of various resources may be in the form known as a"micro-transaction," which deal with relatively small sums of real money. In other embodiments, selection of various resources may not require payment of currency, virtual or real, but the game system may limit the number of resources the player can select.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7052...n-system-to-sell-in-game-shortcuts/index.html

2. rob mafia Red Belt

great, the next gen of games will be even easier/dumber/more casual and with even more annoying mtx.

it's truly pathetic that this really IS the state of gaming. no wonder 'everyone' thinks that soulsborne games are so hard.

3. Plissken Gold Belt

Gay if true.

Why even play the game?

4. HelpYouFall Purple Belt

In the kitchen, not bothered over a steak.
    This is tailormade for the loser journalists that wanted an easy mode in Sekiro. Goddamn, modern gaming is so dumb lol

5. jojoRed Aint no stress on me, Lord.

I know Im gonna get shit for this but this is okay if its not abused by the publishers/developers.

Gaming is even bigger than the music and movie industries, more and more casuals are picking up gaming, if this makes it easier for them to complete games that they enjoy, Im for it.

It doesnt mean you have to use it and so what if it makes games easier, its there as an option. Similar to easy/normal/hard modes in games. Pick what you want and stop crying about how others enjoy what they paid for.

Im sure they'll even have trophies for not using this stuff to beat bosses etc, so if you want to feel special, you can just "prove" it (like anyone gives a shit) by saying you got so and so trophy.

6. method115 Titanium Belt

Ubisoft has done this a bit in their AC games. They made it really hard to level and continue the main story so you need to do side quest to level up (their is plenty of side quest). It would take forever though without their level boosting DLC. I waited for the game to drop to like $20 and then bought the level boost.

7. KidBaize ...

They better have an option to turn off the notifications. I have no patience for intrusive ads.

8. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

9. TeTe Kaep's white privileged upbringing belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

What a joke. Paying extra to make the game easier. Or just put the game on easy mode if you really think something is too hard, no reason to pay for microtransactions.

10. erhnamdjinn Purple Belt

the problem with crap like this is they will most likely make games harder or become a grind fest so that it forces you to by these guides or MTX.

11. Dizzy Titanium Belt Platinum Member

The fear is artificially inflating a game’s difficulty in order to drive micro transactions. I prefer a challenge in my games but if all it’s doing is turning enemies into bullet sponges or essentially breaking the game to where it’s near impossible to get past, then I have issues.
    And this would need to be an option as well if they did implement it.

12. rob mafia Red Belt

except that there basically are no hard games, anymore. and the hard ones are generally niche/indie. ie: meat boy, isaac, gungeon (all from last gen, too). the mainstream 'zomg, so hard' games seem pretty much limited to soulsborne - and they're truly not that hard.

13. jojoRed Aint no stress on me, Lord.

Oh I realise this, its why I prefaced it with "this is okay if its not abused by the publishers/developers". I read and watch reviews, and make informed purchases. I know Ubi has been doing something similar with their games so I avoid them. I wont be stopping that and I support games that give me great experiences.

Id go as far as to say there are more hard games now than there has ever been, even in the mainstream, due to volume of games. Hell even the most mainstream game, COD, has a ridiculously hard, game mode in which 1 bullet kills you -> Im not saying its great level design etc but what youre saying is wrong.

14. Dizzy Titanium Belt Platinum Member

A game doesn’t have to be brutally difficult to be challenging. I’m fully expecting to get my ass kicked at times playing Doom Eternal on ultra violence though I doubt it would generally be considered that difficult.

15. rob mafia Red Belt

agreed, but what the hell is even "brutally difficult," anymore?

such as? seriously.

WAT

you moved the goalposts to games having different modes. which is ironically kind of the point - when the game's difficulty is separated into a different mode, it kind of defeats the purpose and illustrates the point. people play on default/easy (generally the same difference) and that's led to the state of gaming today/tomorrow.

16. jojoRed Aint no stress on me, Lord.

You realise hard mode was the default in the arcade games to get more money out of kids right? Hard doesnt mean more fun, and thats what these devs are trying to do. If you want hard, choose hard mode. Stop crying.

17. rob mafia Red Belt

...sounds like you're the one crying. also, lolwut @ arcades. the nes wasn't coin operated.

you claimed there are more hard games now than ever... and yet, you can't cite them. intredasting.

<{cruzshake}>

18. jojoRed Aint no stress on me, Lord.

Literally the near consensus game of the year in 2019 was also probably one of the hardest of the last decade to a non souls fan....

You want me to list games? You can literally google the hardest games of the decade, and have a play if you want something to squeeze your balls....

19. rob mafia Red Belt

...you know sekiro is a soulsborne game, right? which i not only explicitly mentioned, but said they're not that hard.

i like how you still have not cited A hard game, let alone a large amount of them that you swear exist and are more plentiful than ever.

edit: lolz! i googled that ("hardest games of the decade") and this is the first link.

https://whatculture.com/gaming/10-most-difficult-video-games-of-the-decade - yeah, my point is proven by even YOUR claim.

edit 2: lolz! it gets better. here's the 2nd link: https://www.thegamer.com/most-casual-hardcore-video-games-this-decade/

nailed it. what's on the lists? niche indie games. from last gen. hotline miami, meat, darkest dungeon (which wasn't even hard at all! and it was freakin' turn-based!)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  20. jojoRed Aint no stress on me, Lord.

Let me be as pedantic as you are being right now.

Soulsborne is made up of two popular games and doesnt contain "Sekiro". Sekiro is probably too different to even be under that category....

Ill mention something that you wouldnt expect "The Witness" -> an annoying puzzler game thats pretty hard later on.

Id say Remake 2, just recently if you start with hardcore is really difficult. That was really mainstream.