Sonny Liston on the night train.

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by RawHawg, Aug 8, 2016.

1. RawHawg

RawHawg Black Belt

All aboard!

DaveDave likes this.
  2. DaveDave

DaveDave Blue Belt

Whilst that vid is fuckin' awesome & Sonny had a real dry, deadpan wit that is lost in history, it always annoyed me that everyone uses the wrong version of Night Train.

/pedantry.

3. crystallake

crystallake Purple Belt

Cant watch unfortunately. Fuck the gema. But sonny liston was awesome. I think he gets a lot of hate for "blinding" ali even though im not sure that ever was proven?

4. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

plenty of people on both sides of the fence on that one. Ferdie Pacheco still maintains that it was an accident, i'm not sure why, but maybe because he was somewhat friendly with Liston, there are pictures of Sonny holding his son. Angelo, ever the diplomat, says it was an accident. Others, supposedly from Liston's own camp have said that they put something on his gloves and also that Cleveland Williams complained of the same thing. Ali says he's not sure but that before the holmes fight, someone in the boxing business tried to give him a solution to put on his gloves, which of course Ali would never do so he does think it was possible that Liston did it.

5. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

the people in the know often say sonny had great "motherwit" which is just another way of saying he was born highly intelligent and he was pretty funny and even nice to the people around him. The bully act, from what I know seems to have been just that. That's not to say he didn't really do some wild things, he did throw an officer into the garbage can but hey, I wouldn't mind doing that sometimes myself.
    also, one thing that Patterson said in his writeup after sonny's death, that sonny had a great smile too. Just sad that the public didn't want him, didn't accept him and wouldn't let him change. Some people think it broke him when he saw that he would never be accepted.

DaveDave likes this.
  6. KillerIsBack V2

KillerIsBack V2 Black Belt

What an educational song on geography.