Sonnens Arm Triangle attempt..

Chael should've hopped over to the right side to apply pressure but somehow he hopped back in mount/half guard (can't remember).

I bet 1 million dollars you could not even get close to submitting him. Let alone taking him down in a grappling match. Oh wait I forgot, this is the internets.

Of course I couldn't take Chael Sonnen down, he's a former all-American wrestler and pro MMA fighter.

I don't do MMA and I don't even do no-gi that much. But if he weren't allowed to punch me, and especially if he had to wear a gi, I think I could submit Chael Sonnen. I've been doing BJJ for several years, Chael doesn't even train it because he thinks it's "gay." The guy has been submitted in eight of his fights!

i hope you're right. silva dancing around bored hasn't been good for anyone, even silva.

Yeah, so what we saw in this fight was Silva lying on his back bored instead.

Of course I couldn't take Chael Sonnen down, he's a former all-American wrestler and pro MMA fighter.

I don't do MMA and I don't even do no-gi that much. But if he weren't allowed to punch me, and especially if he had to wear a gi, I think I could submit Chael Sonnen. I've been doing BJJ for several years, Chael doesn't even train it because he thinks it's "gay." The guy has been submitted in eight of his fights!

:rolleyes:...

Yeah, so what we saw in this fight was Silva lying on his back bored instead.

This x 1 million.

I don't think anyone realizes how durable silva's face is to punches. granted he was on the bottom 99% of the fight, but chael is a wrestler and silva is a bjj'er (on the ground). Chael applied a lot of top pressure from inside silva's guard, but at the same time silva didn't let him pass. Chael wasted A LOT of time and energy punching and trying to elbow silva and just gassed out from it. When silva was striking from the bottom, he was executing perfectly.. timing and accuracy, which resulted in chael's face being cut open and swolen, and silva's... not so much.

Would sonnen have won if it went to decision? Undoubtedly. Just because he was on tope and threw more punches and got 3 take downs mean he destroyed silva? Absolutely not. He had nothing to offer silva, other than being inside his guard and... trying to gnp, that resulted in nothing other than points.

You guys seem to be caught up in the fact that this was the first time anderson silva got taken down easier than before and held down. But to say he dominated and destroyed him is a bit exaggerated. Great fight though, had me on edge a few times!

Sonnen was more intent on using grappling for defending instead of attacking, he used it to improve his position, defend his position and he reigned down strikes, to me Sonnen was a great example of grappling, I dont think he could beat Silva in a pure grappling fight but he used it to his advantage and really well, he is a great show man and sold the fight really well, I have alot of respect for Sonnen, especially since he backed up all of his shit talking. I'm a fan now
A great man doesn't lie about taps, talk shit about players in other sports, call BJJ gay etc...

I believe that Sonnen was the one on top reigning down the punches. Silva was the one on bottom. How exactly was Sonnen being defensive? And what exactly is a pure grappling fight? How does a pure grappling fight get scored?
Because the entire time on the ground, Sonnen was throwing safe arm-hooks to the face from guard while looking to protect his position and his body from submissions while Silva looked for submissions.

Then again you're going to love Sonnen no matter what with an avatar like that.

There's some confident ass blue belts out here just saying
Chael Sonnen has been submitted by Silva,Maia,Filho,Horn x2,Babalu and Griffin
Yeah he sucks ;)

Care to explain why his face looks like that then?

I mean, I know he would have won the decision if he didn't get submitted, because he scored 3 takedowns and one reversal, and spent almost the entire fight in top position, and that's good enough to get him the win (in the hypothetical situation where he doesn't get submitted). Somehow AS took almost zero damage in the process though. He let Sonnen wear himself out, and then he got the submission. I think that was exactly his gameplan.

And the winner is!

If Chael is SO BAD on the ground
how come nate marquardt,Okami,Dan Miller couldn't sub him easily?
guess they suck!

Man I thought redaxe was a legit poster until I came in this thread. To say that Silva's gameplan was to get beat on for 4 and a half rounds and pull off a miracle triangle is just utterly ridiculous. Also, saying that Sonnen didn't out grapple Silva is just being ignorant, it wasn't a jiu jitsu match it was mma, where passing isn't always top priority. He did exactly what he said he was going to until the last half of the 5th round, and I'm pretty lucky he did cuz I made a pretty big penny off of it.

I agree that it wasn't Silva's gameplan to get dominated for 4 rounds, but I agree with redaxe about Silva landing the harder shots and doing more physical damage to Sonnen. His elbows off the back are ridiculous.

guess they suck!

Marquardt got pretty close with a guillotine. Given another round or two I think he could have subbed Sonnen. He actually swept Sonnen and ended up on top at the end of the third round. Plus he cut Sonnen pretty badly with elbows from the bottom much like Silva did.

The Sonnen vs Silva fight last night could have gone 50 rounds instead of 5, and Sonnen would not have been able to finish it. It was only a matter of time before he got caught.

This x 1 million.

I don't think anyone realizes how durable silva's face is to punches. granted he was on the bottom 99% of the fight, but chael is a wrestler and silva is a bjj'er (on the ground). Chael applied a lot of top pressure from inside silva's guard, but at the same time silva didn't let him pass. Chael wasted A LOT of time and energy punching and trying to elbow silva and just gassed out from it. When silva was striking from the bottom, he was executing perfectly.. timing and accuracy, which resulted in chael's face being cut open and swolen, and silva's... not so much.

Would sonnen have won if it went to decision? Undoubtedly. Just because he was on tope and threw more punches and got 3 take downs mean he destroyed silva? Absolutely not. He had nothing to offer silva, other than being inside his guard and... trying to gnp, that resulted in nothing other than points.

You guys seem to be caught up in the fact that this was the first time anderson silva got taken down easier than before and held down. But to say he dominated and destroyed him is a bit exaggerated. Great fight though, had me on edge a few times!

He had nothing to offer? How about the time he dropped him with his hands, and made silva quite frustraded on the feet? Look, I am no big Sonnen fan but, you are crazy as hell if you don't think Sonnen kicked his ass. Aderson did win but you are dumb to think Sonnen did nothing more then lay in his guard. Controlling 95% of a fight means dominating in my eyes. If a guy controls me like that I sure as hell wouldn't think the fight was even.

guess they suck!

To be fair, asking Okami to sub someone is like asking for it to snow when it's 90 outside. Dude hasn't subbed anyone in at least 4-6 years. In fact, I'm 90% sure he's never tapped anyone in his 4 year stint in the UFC. Before that, possibly.

To be fair, asking Okami to sub someone is like asking for it to snow when it's 90 outside. Dude hasn't subbed anyone in at least 4-6 years. In fact, I'm 90% sure he's never tapped anyone in his 4 year stint in the UFC. Before that, possibly.

yea u're right lol
but hey at least Okami is a highlevel grappler and he almost sub Rich Franklin

He had nothing to offer? How about the time he dropped him with his hands, and made silva quite frustraded on the feet? Look, I am no big Sonnen fan but, you are crazy as hell if you don't think Sonnen kicked his ass. Aderson did win but you are dumb to think Sonnen did nothing more then lay in his guard. Controlling 95% of a fight means dominating in my eyes. If a guy controls me like that I sure as hell wouldn't think the fight was even.

Like i said, i think most are wrapped around the fact that a wrestler took him down easily, and applied gnp. However, as I stated before, his gnp was weak and hardly broke anderson's concentration while he was inside his guard. I do, however, think silva should have attempted at least a sweep, or another submission than the two triangle attempts.

Sonnen took him down, multiple times, pissed anderson off. But what did chael really do to beat him up? His gnp was weak and did bruise or cut Silva. Silva's inverted gnp messed chael up a couple times.

Just bc silva was pissed off that he didn't get many opportunities to knock sonnet out before he took him down and wasted 4.5 rds trying to hurt silva (which didn't happen) doesn't mean he beat him up. But, like I also stated before, sonnet would have won if he didn't get submitted.

I also missed your point, you are right man, he did drop him once with his hands... almost twice if iirc.

Could you not knock someone down with a punch if they were letting you hit them?

Hahaha also i wonder how segal felt about anderson not using a damn thing he taught him?

I don't think that's from the fight.

He was cut pretty badly above the left eyebrow and that photo doesn't match.

Yh thats from i think the Nate fight - Def not las nite (stupid nuthuggers again)

And yes i noticed the arm triangle and was actually kinda shouting for it but instead he went for mount and ended up in half guard i think(tho it may have been brief)

Back