Sonnens Arm Triangle attempt..

that's because chael sonnen sucks at grappling

If Sonnen sucks, than what does that say about Maia?. Take downs are part of grappling; haven't you heard? Obviously Maia hasn't heard about them either. Maybe he thought;he would just lay down, with his legs spread open, and Anderson would jump right in. MMA doesn't quite work the same as a bjj tourney, and obviously some of you are a little miffed, that such a " low level" grappler, who couldn't pass BJJ 101; could do the things he did to Anderson Silva.

Care to explain why his face looks like that then?

I mean, I know he would have won the decision if he didn't get submitted, because he scored 3 takedowns and one reversal, and spent almost the entire fight in top position, and that's good enough to get him the win (in the hypothetical situation where he doesn't get submitted). Somehow AS took almost zero damage in the process though. He let Sonnen wear himself out, and then he got the submission. I think that was exactly his gameplan.

lol. Zero damage my ass. If Silva had the skin that marks up like Sonnen or Fedor he'd be unrecognizable right now. He also has a chin that a lot of fighters would kill for.

Seriously, Mark Hunt might be able to take a baseball bat to the chin for an hour and smile, but only a moron would say that he took "zero damage". More importantly, we all know that any other human being would be a lying on the floor. Respect Silva's ability to take punishment, don't hate on Chael who put on a great performance.

If Sonnen sucks, than what does that say about Maia?. Take downs are part of grappling; haven't you heard? Obviously Maia hasn't heard about them either. Maybe he thought;he would just lay down, with his legs spread open, and Anderson would jump right in. MMA doesn't quite work the same as a bjj tourney, and obviously some of you are a little miffed, that such a " low level" grappler, who couldn't pass BJJ 101; could do the things he did to Anderson Silva.

great post. How does Sonnen defend a BJJ blackbelt under Nogueira's submissions for 4 1/2 rounds with this shitty grappling. One-dimensional grappling? Sure. All he had was his defense and control. But those were the tools he needed for the job he was doing. Being that these tools did the job handily for 23 minutes, I'd hardly say his grappling was shitty. If Sonnen goes in there and gets swept and triangled immediately, then we can talk shitty grappling. sheesh

Maia took Sonnen down easily and choked him. What does that say?

great post. How does Sonnen defend a BJJ blackbelt under Nogueira's submissions for 4 1/2 rounds with this shitty grappling. One-dimensional grappling? Sure. All he had was his defense and control. But those were the tools he needed for the job he was doing. Being that these tools did the job handily for 23 minutes, I'd hardly say his grappling was shitty. If Sonnen goes in there and gets swept and triangled immediately, then we can talk shitty grappling. sheesh

everyone seems to forget Sonnens sweep

If Sonnen sucks, than what does that say about Maia?.

Hmmm... Maia destroyed Sonnen.

I believe Sonnen was content to stay in full guard. I don't think he wanted to pass and open up space for Silva to maneuver.

I wanted Silva to put a foot in the hip and push off instead of his "lockdown" (not THE lockdown) with his hands across Sonnen's back.

And Sonnen did momentarily pass guard once, but Silva reguarded. The arm triangle attempt was a mistake. Who knows why he went for mount unless HE knew the arm triangle wasn't tight enough to finish.

Overall, Sonnen did a great job of grappling, but he made mistakes, with the biggest mistake being the triangle.

So a brush up on BJJ skills could have won him the fight. My opinion

Sonnen was more intent on using grappling for defending instead of attacking, he used it to improve his position, defend his position and he reigned down strikes, to me Sonnen was a great example of grappling, I dont think he could beat Silva in a pure grappling fight but he used it to his advantage and really well, he is a great show man and sold the fight really well, I have alot of respect for Sonnen, especially since he backed up all of his shit talking. I'm a fan now

Hmmm... Maia destroyed Sonnen.

I believe Sonnen was content to stay in full guard. I don't think he wanted to pass and open up space for Silva to maneuver.

I wanted Silva to put a foot in the hip and push off instead of his "lockdown" (not THE lockdown) with his hands across Sonnen's back.

And Sonnen did momentarily pass guard once, but Silva reguarded. The arm triangle attempt was a mistake. Who knows why he went for mount unless HE knew the arm triangle wasn't tight enough to finish.

Overall, Sonnen did a great job of grappling, but he made mistakes, with the biggest mistake being the triangle.

So a brush up on BJJ skills could have won him the fight. My opinion

And Maia got destroyed by Anderson. Styles make fights. Anderson, Maia and Chael are all highly skilled, and very accomplished grapplers. Chael should work more on his BJJ and Anderson and Maia need to spend some time on the wrestling mats.

Sonnen was more intent on using grappling for defending instead of attacking, he used it to improve his position, defend his position and he reigned down strikes, to me Sonnen was a great example of grappling, I dont think he could beat Silva in a pure grappling fight but he used it to his advantage and really well, he is a great show man and sold the fight really well, I have alot of respect for Sonnen, especially since he backed up all of his shit talking. I'm a fan now

I believe that Sonnen was the one on top reigning down the punches. Silva was the one on bottom. How exactly was Sonnen being defensive? And what exactly is a pure grappling fight? How does a pure grappling fight get scored?

I believe that Sonnen was the one on top reigning down the punches. Silva was the one on bottom. How exactly was Sonnen being defensive? And what exactly is a pure grappling fight? How does a pure grappling fight get scored?

If you posture up in guard, that's equivalent to scoring a punch, shove to half guard, that's like landing a good body shot. All the major transitions are like knockdowns: passing guard, sweeping, etc. Hence the guy who dominates the minor points of the grappling game could be said to be "beating up his opponent", but the other guy could come back with a "knockdown" or "knockout/finish" (submission) at any time.

Pure grappling fight.

Hey, you asked. I delivered.

If you posture up in guard, that's equivalent to scoring a punch, shove to half guard, that's like landing a good body shot. All the major transitions are like knockdowns: passing guard, sweeping, etc. Hence the guy who dominates the minor points of the grappling game could be said to be "beating up his opponent", but the other guy could come back with a "knockdown" or "knockout/finish" (submission) at any time.

Pure grappling fight.

Hey, you asked. I delivered.

But those are BJJ rules? NO? Chael is not a BJJ grappler.

I don't think that's from the fight.

He was cut pretty badly above the left eyebrow and that photo doesn't match.

it may be the same photo, he had that cut on his nose too if I remember, which I dont, was drinking some pretty awesome, strong home brand brewery beer

watch the fight again :shrug:

end of the day, Sonnen talked alot of bullshit and backed it all up, unfortunately he disrespected BJJ which NONE of us like (but its ok for Fedor to do it isnt it..) and he was caught when he gassed with a triangle and had the victory stolen, acting as if Silva was controlling the fight or anything like that is stupid, sure Silva out grappled him, but Sonnen also proved he had skill too, how many times did he have the chance to take his back?
When has Fedor disrespected BJJ?

arm triangles are very hard if the person has a small neck like anderson but shane is a beast so much more easy to get the tap from it.

come on man, are you serious? Who's gameplan is it to be a punching bag and then to beat the person via taking advantage of them being gassed? And no, Homer Simpson is not a viable answer. Sonnen dominated him for 5 rounds, he would have won all 5 rounds too if he wasnt tapped, Silva did nothing except defend and regain guard, I think you are not giving Sonnen the credit because of what he thinks of BJJ, but Sonnen showed the world that Silva isn't as amazing as everyone thinks he was, I picked Silva to win, I wanted Silva to win, but I'm not ignorant enough to go "OMG HE DOESNT LIKE BJJ SONNEN DIDNT DOMINATE SILVA FOR 5 ROUNDS FOR THAT REASON!"

Watch the fight and dont just google results and look at the after pics. And his face is like that because of the elbow from stand up at the start of a round, then a knee then that elbow directly to his eyebrow that opened it up pretty badly

see, this is even sadder. chael is on top of silva for about 20 mins of the fight and cannot put him away or do much damage.
And he taps really quick to the sub. (same as nate fight)

Saying that chael tapped to being choked to the trianlge, i cannot see why he would be pussy enough to tap.

also, chael's arrogance is his own downfall-- if he would just train some BJJ and learn how to GNP he would be champion and maybe unstoppable.

but he choses to call bjj gay and he will not train enough to at least not have "submit me" tattooed on his forhead.

that's because chael sonnen sucks at grappling

I bet 1 million dollars you could not even get close to submitting him. Let alone taking him down in a grappling match. Oh wait I forgot, this is the internets.

Sonnen did dominate Silva on the ground for 3 rounds, and he was not defensive I have no idea how anyone could say that. Problem is Silva's face is maded of leather, and may have the best chin in MMA.
BTW: That picture is from Chael's fight with Nate not Silva

Back