Sonnens Arm Triangle attempt..

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by xxl85, Aug 8, 2010.

1. xxl85

xxl85 White Belt

Dont know why know no one has brought it up yet.. but Sonnen did have a tight arm triangle on Silva, but instead of walking towards Silvas head to tighten the choke, he hops back over him and lets Silva get out of the choke.. He couldve sub'd him there.. even Lesnar got Carwin by this submission...

2. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

that's because chael sonnen sucks at grappling

3. jasoncyclops**

jasoncyclops** Red Belt

it took 4 and half rounds for Silva to submit him
    yea he sucks but he's still better than most of the sherdog user.

4. Dr Boondigga

Dr Boondigga Yellow Belt

He out grappled what Zuffadog calls the P4P fighter for 4 rounds.

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

given that most sherdog users don't even grapple at all, and the ones who do are mostly white belts, i would be inclined to agree with you

6. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

IIRC he never passed Silva's guard, and he didn't do any damage with his ground and pound either. Silva's face was unscathed.

Meanwhile Silva made Sonnen look like this with elbow strikes from the bottom:

[​IMG]

and then submitted him.

Sonnen didn't "out grapple" anyone.

7. Doctor Gonzo

Doctor Gonzo Belfort's TRT-inspired mohawk.

he didnt out grapple anyone but he did dominate the hell out of Silva for 5 rounds

8. jasoncyclops**

jasoncyclops** Red Belt

He did pass Silva guard.
    Mousasi made King Mo looked like a hamburger from the bottom, does it mean Mousasi didn't get outgrapple by Mo?

9. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

He got from full guard to half guard 5 times and he freed his leg from half guard once when he was supposedly going for the arm triangle choke in question, but he never established side control and Silva recovered guard immediately

10. Doctor Gonzo

end of the day, Sonnen talked alot of bullshit and backed it all up, unfortunately he disrespected BJJ which NONE of us like (but its ok for Fedor to do it isnt it..) and he was caught when he gassed with a triangle and had the victory stolen, acting as if Silva was controlling the fight or anything like that is stupid, sure Silva out grappled him, but Sonnen also proved he had skill too, how many times did he have the chance to take his back?

11. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Care to explain why his face looks like that then?

I mean, I know he would have won the decision if he didn't get submitted, because he scored 3 takedowns and one reversal, and spent almost the entire fight in top position, and that's good enough to get him the win (in the hypothetical situation where he doesn't get submitted). Somehow AS took almost zero damage in the process though. He let Sonnen wear himself out, and then he got the submission. I think that was exactly his gameplan.

12. spaceman82

spaceman82 Yellow Belt

if you take dominate to mean keep a dominant position, then i think it's accurate to say that sonnen dominated most of the fight. off of that, i'd say that sonnen definitely outwrestled silva - but saying he outgrappled him is a bit too much given silva's ability to defend himself and neutralize sonnen's attempts to advance position. neither guy outgrappled the other overall. sonnen was in a good position for most of the fight, but in the end silva came out the winner, in what was largely a ground battle, in terms of the fight result and physical damage done.

13. Doctor Gonzo

come on man, are you serious? Who's gameplan is it to be a punching bag and then to beat the person via taking advantage of them being gassed? And no, Homer Simpson is not a viable answer. Sonnen dominated him for 5 rounds, he would have won all 5 rounds too if he wasnt tapped, Silva did nothing except defend and regain guard, I think you are not giving Sonnen the credit because of what he thinks of BJJ, but Sonnen showed the world that Silva isn't as amazing as everyone thinks he was, I picked Silva to win, I wanted Silva to win, but I'm not ignorant enough to go "OMG HE DOESNT LIKE BJJ SONNEN DIDNT DOMINATE SILVA FOR 5 ROUNDS FOR THAT REASON!"

Watch the fight and dont just google results and look at the after pics. And his face is like that because of the elbow from stand up at the start of a round, then a knee then that elbow directly to his eyebrow that opened it up pretty badly

14. spaceman82

spaceman82 Yellow Belt

muhammad ali...

and sonnen fought a great fight.

silva just looked weird out there, so it's natural to speculate as to why. could be he had a really crazy gameplan - or it could be that he didn't match up well with sonnen.

15. Doctor Gonzo

Sonnen was amazing in that fight and has no doubt shown that Silva is beatable and hopefully it brings the division alive again

16. Doctor Gonzo

I honestly dont think he thought Sonnen would be as offensive as he was, does anyone really go like that towards Silva? Silva seems to always provoke people into attacking him and he uses that to counter strike, but Sonnen was on the offensive and non stop from the start right before the triangle, if he wasnt punching him, he was elbowing him, if he wasnt elbowing him, he was hammer fisting him (weakly lol), if he wasnt doing that, he was thunderclapping lol and if he wasnt doing that he was disrupting Silvas breathing, I think its disrespectful to the sport of MMA itself to disregard his performance due to the things he has said, he bought "Mr Invincible" to his knees and to his near first loss

17. spaceman82

spaceman82 Yellow Belt

i hope you're right. silva dancing around bored hasn't been good for anyone, even silva.

18. kristopherallen

kristopherallen White Belt

Man I thought redaxe was a legit poster until I came in this thread. To say that Silva's gameplan was to get beat on for 4 and a half rounds and pull off a miracle triangle is just utterly ridiculous. Also, saying that Sonnen didn't out grapple Silva is just being ignorant, it wasn't a jiu jitsu match it was mma, where passing isn't always top priority. He did exactly what he said he was going to until the last half of the 5th round, and I'm pretty lucky he did cuz I made a pretty big penny off of it.

19. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

I'd think that first round KO might have been his gameplan. Taking damage or no, I doubt that getting taken down was his intention.

20. Grey Kid

Grey Kid Orange Belt

I don't think that's from the fight.

He was cut pretty badly above the left eyebrow and that photo doesn't match.