Sonnen's antics - for his opponent or for himself?

Chael will do no worse than anybody that has gone before him. I can see him potentially winning a round.

At worst I see him losing via submission in the 4th round, at best I see him losing a decision 49-46.

but I think his trash talking and antics are more to get himself in the right state of mind to perform.

Interesting thought

To the question: I do not know, nor will I pretend to know.

I stopped reading after, "he's terrified of not backing up all his talk." Because, like it or not he DOES back up all his talk. He's been the champ in every organization he's fought in besides WEC because Filho didn't make weight in their 2nd fight. Sonnen is a very good fighter but sherdog seems butthurt over the things he said about Anderson and Brazil so they hate him.

I stopped reading after, "he's terrified of not backing up all his talk." Because, like it or not he DOES back up all his talk. He's been the champ in every organization he's fought in besides WEC because Filho didn't make weight in their 2nd fight. Sonnen is a very good fighter but sherdog seems butthurt over the things he said about Anderson and Brazil so they hate him.

Well if you'd continued reading, you would have read me say that I think that because he's terrified of not backing up his talk, he trains his ass off and comes out with a fire under his ass to perform. I'm agreeing with you, he does back up all his trashtalk. I'll never forget him saying before the first Silva fight that it was going to be a one sided pounding and he's swinging the hammer and good lord did he back that up. Anyways, just a little theory of mine that he uses all the shit he talks to get him in the right frame of mind to prepare and perform to the best of his abilities. None of us will ever know though unless Sonnen ever came out and said it, but just a theory of mine

You need to listen to more of Ali's trash talking. Now remember, we are talking about talking shit, im not comparing what Sonnen says to what Ali said about Vietnam or race relations in America. Im purely talking about how Ali would call his opponents ugly, dumb, slow etc.

Its not an insult to compare the two in terms of their trash talking ability, im probably on of the biggest Ali fans you will ever meet, and i am of the opinion that he at his peak, was probably the greatest athlete of all time, let alone boxer. Sonnen has gold in his mouth though and he knows it, look at the situation he talk effectively talked himself into.

Ali was the greatest HW boxer of his time. Sonnen is the #2 MW nobody remembers the "also rans".

If it is not for the money then it would have to be for the fans in some way. He did not use to act this way.

I agree with the self pressure that Chael uses to motivate himself in fights.

Chael is a rare breed of personality though. He is charismatic and rather likeable when he is away from his career but the opposite while "working".

Chael also found out that his antics can lead straight to money and fame. People talk about him everyday now, when just a few years ago he was not much more than a blip on the MMA radar. He ramps up his fights and will help draw for the gate and the ppv.

Chael is also going to have a career after he is finished fighting. He could easily work in television or as a promoter.

In a short period of time Chael has become one of the most recognized MMA fighters in the sport and demonstrated his ability to command the attention of the fans whether they like him or not. He is also smart enough to turn that into a golden ticket.

Chael might very well use his trash talk as motivation but he has also created his very own path to financial success as well.

Chael might start believing in the gimmick. Happened to Andy kauffman and maryln manson

Back