Sonnen Worried He Can't Make 185 For Bout With Vitor

Yeah they should hsve just done it at 195.

20 pounds can probably be managed. But dropping 51 pounds in that short of a time. You can't drop that much in water weight and you probably won't have time to lose the rest of the weight, especially if you're in shape at 236. 30 pounds in like 35 days, as far as I know that's pretty tough if you're trying to lose weight "normally" (dieting and such). Some people more experienced in weight cutting can provide a more authoritative opinion, but it definitely doesn't look like he's unjustified in saying it's hard to do, and he's justified in complaining given the original fight was at 205.

People in this thread are confusing cutting with dieting. 20lbs is a HUGE cut. When a guy like Anderson Silva fights at MW, he starts his cut at about 200lbs. Anderson Silva only walks around at 220 when he's not in a training camp/not in fighting shape. When Anderson is in shape but not dieting, he's about 210. this is what Anderson starts his cut at when he fights at LHW. Anderson Silva is NOT a big LHW.

Chael is not anywhere near fight shape, if he's at 235lb. Chael needs to be at around 205lb max, to be able to cut to MW. This means that chael needs to diet down 30lbs in just over a month. It can be done, but it's going to really effect his performance.
If he knew he was fighting at MW, he would be around 220 right now, and he wouldn't be all bulked up from lifting weights right now.

While I've never done MMA, I did wrestle for 13 years, so I know what a big cut is like. The thing that I've never done is dieting, as I was always in shape in my wrestling days, due to my age, but common sense says that actually losing 30lbs in 30 days for a guy that's not really fat, is going to be really hard.

Last edited:
so its too late to change it to franklin weight?

Jesus@Chael weighing almost 240lbs.

This is the same guy the Jones haters continually besmirch Jones for smashing a Middleweight.

Middleweight my ass.

Contrary to what he'll have you believe, Anderson IS NOT normal.

He was preparing for a 205 fight.

He doesn't have to make 185 for Vitor, the fight is at 205... but the MW title fight will obviously be at 185.

Lulz@ anyone who believes silva weighs over 200 lbs and Sonnen over 215 lbs...go to a UFC expo and you will get an idea of what they truly weigh

If any of you saw the video where Dana said the fight was at 185, it was clear he wasn't sure. He even said he wasn't sure, but said in the context of #1 contenders fight - it would make sense to be at 185.

It's pretty amazing how far people can get from an out of context quote from a video they never watched.

Good lord,Vitor hasn't even signed the contract and Sonnen is already ducking him lol

Should've been a catchweight fight.

Wand & Sonnen were going to fight at 205, Vitor was out, so most likely he was closer to 205 than 185, and now with only a few weeks to cut they decide to have it at 185?

Doesn't make any sense IMO.

Agreed.

I also wish they would just let them do as much drug as they want for this fight.

Do all the drug.

But Dolce Dolce Dolce! Dolce said Sonnen weighs on at 215 on fight night! 20 lbs from 235 is nothing...

Dolce bullshit exposed again.

There's a difference in dropping weight for 185, and dropping weight for 205.
If Chael was looking to make 185, he'd drop some muscle mass that he is carrying for his 205 bout.

Back