Sonnen Vs. Silva: Gracie Breakdown

great breakdown as usual. I thought chael had a shot of getting out once he fell back and threw the leg over, but like these guys pointed out he was just asking to get armbarred keeping that arm straight like that.

"the brazilian tap" Fvcking awesome, i always called that the Team Quest phantom tap, but glad to hear it comes from Brazil!!!!!!!!!

"the brazilian tap" Fvcking awesome, i always called that the Team Quest phantom tap, but glad to hear it comes from Brazil!!!!!!!!!

Shit these guys claim everything..lol.. are the gonna breakdown the Hughes fight? :)

Shit these guys claim everything..lol.. are the gonna breakdown the Hughes fight? :)

LOL i wish they would, because to be honest they do seem to keep it pretty damn real!

LOL at "these guys claim everything". What a great response!:icon_evil

Im starting to come around on these two. They are so enthusiastic, seem to keep it very very real and know there sh!t.

Then i think of the online belts and i stop dead in my tracks. I do think these two are great tho. I would love to see them breakdown some BJJ loses tho, good point.

Good stuff. I know a lot of people talk crap about the Torrance school and how set in its ways it can be, but between these breakdowns and the pretty fantastic Royce Gracie seminar I attended yesterday, I have a renewed appreciation for these "old school" cats. :)

jiujitsu needs more students! I totally support this statement :D

LOL i wish they would, because to be honest they do seem to keep it pretty damn real!

LOL at "these guys claim everything". What a great response!:icon_evil

Im starting to come around on these two. They are so enthusiastic, seem to keep it very very real and know there sh!t.

Then i think of the online belts and i stop dead in my tracks. I do think these two are great tho. I would love to see them breakdown some BJJ loses tho, good point.

I'm with you on this. And I also enjoy the breakdowns.

As far as "claiming the tap" thing, I think they're just saying that they've seen it before. Everyone who's trained with submissions knows that trick. Where I train we call it the ghost tap. I think Sonnen learned it from Lindland haha.

well, the gracie breakdown BJJ moves used in fights and as you pointed out about 10 times already hughes used a wrestling move, so why in the fuck are they going to break down a wrestling move?

I mean, we understand it is a wrestling move and he submitted almeida with it.

shit, should they start breaking down Anderson's striking also?

I'd rather hear these guys (Rener) thoughts on the fights then the all the "jiu jitsu world champions/gatekeepers" on sherdog.

well, the gracie breakdown BJJ moves used in fights and as you pointed out about 10 times already hughes used a wrestling move, so why in the fuck are they going to break down a wrestling move?

I mean, we understand it is a wrestling move and he submitted almeida with it.

shit, should they start breaking down Anderson's striking also?

jeezus, touchy today are we?

Take a pill I was kiddin meng.

jeezus, touchy today are we?

Take a pill I was kiddin meng.

knoxpk, wrestling aficionado, what would you call the wrestling move that Hughes used?

I, from bjj perspective, obviously looked at it as a modified anaconda choke, with a bit of the guillotine thrown in there, but I'm really interested in that Hughes referred to it as an old wrestling move. Would it typically be used just for head-in-arm control, or to stop a shoot, or what?

knoxpk, wrestling aficionado, what would you call the wrestling move that Hughes used?

I, from bjj perspective, obviously looked at it as a modified anaconda choke, with a bit of the guillotine thrown in there, but I'm really interested in that Hughes referred to it as an old wrestling move. Would it typically be used just for head-in-arm control, or to stop a shoot, or what?

It's a basic front headlock, Dave Schultz style.

Really its just a front headlock. The thing is in wrestling you use it in "short offence" off a snapdown or as defence against a shot. Again in wrestling there is no need to hold it for more time than it takes to either turn or get behind your opponent but you can see the effect of the hold if you change the intention. Get a good grip on his arm, his head pinch your elbows together and boom a tight front headlock, I like to grab my opponents shoulder with the same arm I have around the head to make it even tighter. YouTube - ‪Front Headlock‬‎ Notice the grip.

BTW Simmons is KNOWN for choking out his opponents in a number of ways.

YouTube - ‪Front Headlock-Ankle Pick Steven Hoffmann Wisconsin‬‎ Again notice head is in or near the armpit of the opponent, ankle picks, cradles and of course the choke. :)

Front headlock is one of my best and favorite moves.

Last edited:
Really its just a front headlock. The thing is in wrestling you use it in "short offence" off a snapdown or as defence against a shot. Again in wrestling there is no need to hold it for more time than it takes to either turn or get behind your opponent but you can see the effect of the hold if you change the intention. Get a good grip on his arm, his head pinch your elbows together and boom a tight front headlock, I like to grab my opponents shoulder with the same arm I have around the head to make it even tighter. YouTube - ‪Front Headlock‬‎ Notice the grip.

BTW Simmons is KNOWN for choking out his opponents in a number of ways.

YouTube - ‪Front Headlock-Ankle Pick Steven Hoffmann Wisconsin‬‎ Again notice head is in or near the armpit of the opponent, ankle picks, cradles and of course the choke. :)

Front headlock is one of my best and favorite moves.

thorough answer. thanks bro (and supersuperrambo)

thorough answer. thanks bro (and supersuperrambo)

My pleasure and frankly while hughes is very strong I dont think you need farm boy strength to finish it.
Yes, wrestlers do alot of strength training but as a grappler we all have grapplers strength over time and should also be able to finish this hold.

The key is getting it tightly before you get countered, snap down and defending the shots are the 2 most likely ways to get it.

Back