Sonnen: I got lucky

He just caught the worst Shogun ever.. Shogun of a few years ago runs straight through Sonnen, better grappling and striking.

I think he means directly after the fight but I'd have to see it in full context

I have never seen Chael talk shit in a loss in the cage. He normally claps his hands when the announce the other guy is the winner and gives it up for his opponent in the post-fight interview. Although obviously that first loss in particular to Silva had to really eat at him. But even that I don't remember him saying anything disrespectful after the fight during the event. But sounds like if he said "shut his mouth and walked out" it means that moment after the loss. Not forever.

Chael even tried to act like he didn't tap in the first fight. That was his immediate reaction. Hardly a "shut his mouth and walked out" moment, in my opinion.

LOL. So I should just go by what Chael says rather than what my eyes saw. Nah.

Chael even tried to act like he didn't tap in the first fight. That was his immediate reaction. Hardly a "shut his mouth and walked out" moment, in my opinion.

What are you talking about? Chael asked the ref what happened, and accepted it right there and then.

I always knew its was a fluke and now we have a confirmation from the man in question. Keep posting those gifs. It was...a fluke.

It is still inexcusable. To Sonnen? The guy Shogun should beat 11 times out of 10? I will never sleep the same but at least after this admission I will sleep a little better.

Mmm yeah. A fluke.

Shogun hasn't looked that great in a while so it's not surprising that he lost.

And Shogun got lucky with his sloppy, wild, no look right hand that dropped Machida. That punch was cringeworthy and would never land again on Machida. A lot of finishes in mma could be chalked up as "luck".

That's the way sport is. One guy wins and is "better".

It's not exactly scientific, but the guy who wins and his fans get bragging rights.

There is far more luck involved than most people here want to admit.
Just think of other sports, like TENNIS, where guys meet over a dozen times in their careers. Even the #1 player in the world probably loses a couple of times to someone that you've never heard of.
AND at least in tennis, unlike MMA, one split second mistake doesn't cost you the match. And EVEN SO, you still see massive variance in the results, over 3 or 5 set matches.

If Hughes and Hallman meet in their prime, are y'all absolutely sure that Hallman just 'has Hughes's number' and beats him 9/10x?
Or in their primes, does Mike Brown really beat Faber most of the time?
It's entirely possible that the guy who lost both fights wins the majority of the time over 15 fights, or 50 fights.
There are other examples but I don't want anyone to get too excited...

As for Shogun, he's worn out and prone to making many more mistakes than he did during his Pride run.

What are you talking about? Chael asked the ref what happened, and accepted it right there and then.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/8/10/1615283/ed-soares-and-dave-meltzer-on

"Silva got a triangle with 2:00 left. Sonnen couldn't escape, and tapped out at 3:10 of the fifth round. Sonnen halfway tapped, and then tried to keep going. Silva got mad and didn't want to release the hold but they finally broke them up. This isn't the first, or second time this has happened with that team." Dave Meltzer, MMA writer.

"What happened was, number one, I was upset that Chael was...trying to deny at first that he tapped. I went through that scenario once before with Chael myself, with Paulo Filho. Chael has been known to do that once in a while. I don't think Chael is a dirty fighter. I don't think any of that." Ed Soares, Anderson's manager

Anderson Silva also commented on it to Gracie Magazine:
Sonnen was very arrogant in promoting the fight. After having submitted he tried to argue that he didn't tap. What did you think of that?

it takes a lot for someone to admit something like that. chael has a lot more respect for the fighters than he sometimes lets on

Finally!!! finally!!!! I can make a excuse for shogun and not get raped for it lol

come on. i saw the same interview the other day.

so what if chael said that.

he beat shogun. he performed, shogun did not.

chael is just being humble about his victory/finish.

no shame in losing a fight.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/8/10/1615283/ed-soares-and-dave-meltzer-on

"Silva got a triangle with 2:00 left. Sonnen couldn't escape, and tapped out at 3:10 of the fifth round. Sonnen halfway tapped, and then tried to keep going. Silva got mad and didn't want to release the hold but they finally broke them up. This isn't the first, or second time this has happened with that team." Dave Meltzer, MMA writer.

"What happened was, number one, I was upset that Chael was...trying to deny at first that he tapped. I went through that scenario once before with Chael myself, with Paulo Filho. Chael has been known to do that once in a while. I don't think Chael is a dirty fighter. I don't think any of that." Ed Soares, Anderson's manager

Anderson Silva also commented on it to Gracie Magazine:
Sonnen was very arrogant in promoting the fight. After having submitted he tried to argue that he didn't tap. What did you think of that?

Apparently, with age comes wisdom.

This is for the hordes of posters who said it wasn't lucky.

And yes you can say Shogun is better.

you're taking chael's interview too literally.

also, as a shogun fan i don't appreciate your posts. are you really a shogun fan or a troll.

This is for the hordes of posters who said it wasn't lucky.

And yes you can say Shogun is better.

Please stop you are embarrassing Shogun fans including me. Us rational Shogun fans have a bad enough rep from people like you who can't deal with reality after Shogun loses a fight.

Sonnen's performance was in no way luck he had Shogun's ground game well scouted and did fantastic on capitalizing on a mistake he pushed Shogun to make with his top control.

Shogun is such a humble man. I don't know why so many of his fans can't learn to be more like him.

Last edited:
Chael is being a good sport here, giving a guy who he thinks is nice and a great fighter his props for not making excuses. He's also telling this to the Brazilian press, hardly a comfortable spot to be candid. Shogun won UFC & Pride gold just like his idol, Hendo. Maybe that's what it takes in his world to be elite.

Both of the guys are classy in victory and defeat and it's not strange for them to handle it like this.

It's sad, im a big fan of Shogun and will always cheer for him no matter who he fights. He is a class act and will never make excuses or disrespect opponents. Rest of the shogun fanbase should look to this behaviour and act like it.

Back