Songs that tell a story

sh1tehawke

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was listening to the radio the other day and Copacabana by Barry Manilow came on. The lyrics tell a story with a beginning, middle and end. Hit me up with some other songs with good story telling.

anyone who posts “dance with the devil” by immortal technique deserves dubs

Yes, it's called a Ballad and seem to be more common in Country music. Here's a few that come to mind, though I'm sure there are plenty I'm missing:

Devil went down to Georgia
Boy named Sue
Mississippi Squirrel Revival

great song. nebraska is my favorite springsteen album so i’m biased but yeah his storytelling is second to none

“Nebraska” is a masterpiece. Without getting too sentimental, “My Father’s House” is a song that helped me save my relationship with my own father.

Oh you bout to be slapped in the face with story and song...long, but the story is actually a classic piece and the song is an epic ballad.

In the 90's I was big into The Grateful Dead and friends started gravitating towards Phish. I didn't "get" Phish at first largely because I felt they weren't good story tellers and I like lyrical substance. I finally relented and went and saw Phish in 98 and was blown away. A song they played at my first show still stands as one of my favorites as it tells such a creepy story.

Hurricane by Bob Dylan for sure.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Back