Songs people Misunderstand

There are a few variations in the details.

Basically, Phil saw this guy either watch a kid drown and not save him, or drowned the kid.

The guy never saw Phil though.

Then several years later, Phil was performing back in a town close to where this went down. He either tracked the guy down, and sent him tickets, or just recognized him in the crowd.

So Phil has it arranged to shine a spotlight directly on the guy while performing the song. Signifying he is singing it to him. That he knows what he did.

Afterward, the guy goes home and blows his brains out, dies in a car accident, or gets arrested.

A complete and total myth, but awesome if it were true.

What that is nuts!!. If true. Dang. Bet it is like the verve pipe and the freshman song. All lies

What that is nuts!!. If true. Dang. Bet it is like the verve pipe and the freshman song. All lies
It is held to be fake by most everybody.

But it is like an 11 year old and Santa Claus. You know it is fake, but you want for it to be real so badly.

Most every Elliot Smith song.

He is addressing himself in the songs as if he is an observer criticizing.

His continual themes of negativity, cynicism, and contempt are really him disgusted with just himself.

It is held to be fake by most everybody.

But it is like an 11 year old and Santa Claus. You know it is fake, but you want for it to be real so badly.

For me, more like 7. But that's what a lot of beatings will get you.

I hear what you're saying. I doubt that guy was real. But it is interesting to think it was real

People tend to associate this with a fat masked man prancing around in tights. It is however not.

[YT]0azcDt73IY4[/YT]

Sex type thing by Stone Temple Pilots- Its straight up the thoughts of a rapist. Not some metal version of a love song.
Scott Weyland would get pissed that people didn't get the meaning of the song.

One of the most requested love songs of all time is a song called "The one I Love" by R.E.M. In my day people would make love compilation tapes and CD's for their significant others with this song included.

Ironically, "The One I Love" is not a love song, its a song about using others and then leaving them behind to move on to another person. The telling lyrics being "A simple prop to occupy my time" and "Another prop has occupied my time"

There was a song released in 2001 (I think) called "Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker. People would use this song for romantic purposes while missing the fact that the song was about a man encouraging a woman to have an extra-marital affair with him.

What other songs can you think of that people have obviously misunderstood.

Afroman - Because I got high.

Grandmaster Flash - White Lines.

Both telling the dangers of drugs in humorous ways but are too often dismissed as pro drug songs.

Les sucettes (Lollipops).
Famous french song written in 1966 by Serge Gainsbourg for a young France Gall (she was 18 at the time).

Sounds like it's about an innocent young girl who likes aniseed-flavored lollipops, but it's really about oral sex.
Funny thing is, France Gall herself had no idea about the hidden meaning at the time. :icon_lol:

Sex type thing by Stone Temple Pilots- Its straight up the thoughts of a rapist. Not some metal version of a love song.
Scott Weyland would get pissed that people didn't get the meaning of the song.

I was just gonna mention this. It's not surprising that people don't know this though, as most STP songs are pretty hard to understand and always seem nonsensical.

It is? Had no idea

Yeah, it sounds like such a happy song with the beat, but the lyrics are definitely not.

"And I speak to you like the chorus to the verse
Chop another line like a coda with a curse"

"The sky was gold, it was rose
I was taking sips of it through my nose
And I wish I could get back there, someplace back there
Smiling in the pictures you would take
Doing crystal meth, will lift you up until you break
It won't stop, I won't come down
I keep stock with the tick-tock rhythm, I bump for the drop
And then I bumped up, I took the hit that I was given
Then I bumped again, then I bumped again
I said..."

"And when the plane came in, she said she was crashing"

And of course, the chorus hints at it:

"I want something else, to get me through this
Semi-charmed kinda life, baby, baby"

Wow never knew. Not into 3rd eye. But man that is pretty blatant actually

Many people believe "Losing my Religion" by R.E.M. to be an anthem for Atheism, when in reality, it's just another sappy love song.

Wow never knew. Not into 3rd eye. But man that is pretty blatant actually

Yeah that's the only song of their I like. It's just so weird to read the lyrics because the song itself is so upbeat and has that super catchy "do-do-doo" part, you wouldn't really expect it to be so messed up.

Born in the USA. Used by so many politicians as their campaign song, probably the biggest protest song out there.

Yeah that's the only song of their I like. It's just so weird to read the lyrics because the song itself is so upbeat and has that super catchy "do-do-doo" part, you wouldn't really expect it to be so messed up.

Oh yeah. Had no idea either. Esp since it is older and math wasnt so huge back then as it is now

Louie Louie

No wonder with those lyrics. :icon_lol:

I've heard the song a million times and STILL if I try to recite the lyrics, all I can think of is. "louie louie ohhh we gotta go". That's it.

Back