Something to sub for squats for time being

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by perpetual_newb, Mar 10, 2008.

1. perpetual_newb

perpetual_newb White Belt

I tore my right medial meniscus a little while ago and have been on the road to recovery for the last few weeks. at my most recent appointment with the orthopedic surgeon, he gave me the go-ahead to start training again... except, "No deep squats. Not yet."

so what's a boy to do instead? I wanted to try out the 2-day split outlined in the FAQ, but what should I sub in for squats? from all my lurking, I have gathered that squats are pretty much the be-all and end-all of lifts, and that I won't get anywhere near the same results with an alternative lift... but I need something that'll tide me over 'til my knee is all healed up.

thanks!

2. Merrill

Merrill Purple Belt

Did the doc say anything about unilateral movements like BSS, Step-ups, or lunges.

3. perpetual_newb

basically, he doesn't want me flexing my knee near/past 90 degrees... which is convenient, because I haven't regained that much range of motion as of yet.

BSS is not an acronym I am familiar with... please expand.

I could see step-ups working... maybe not lunges.

4. Merrill

Merrill Purple Belt

BSS = Bulgarian Split Squats

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZlodHgCipk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RZlodHgCipk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

You could shorten the ROM if you cannot go past 90 degrees. The guy in the video is doing them off a step to extra ROM.

5. perpetual_newb

Thanks for the explanation/vid. I suppose I could just limit my ROM on that exercise, but then what would prevent me from limiting my ROM on regular squats? I seem to recall that this is a bad idea because a) it can lead to muscle imbalances and b) you will probably end up as someone's favourite idiot in the gym for only doing 1/4 - 1/3 squats.

what's a better option... doing limited ROM squats or substituting step-ups?

6. Merrill

Merrill Purple Belt

If you combine limited ROM squats with Posterior chain work like deadlift variants you should be OK until you get approval for full ROM.

EDIT: too avoid looking like the favourite gym idiot just walk in with crutches or something. No one will say a word.

7. perpetual_newb

good call on the crutches.