Something thats really confusin me bout Striking!

S

sang12345

Hey guys, I guess I could say im a new MMA fan (watched it VERY VERY casually but now i want to know it better, whether i partake in it personally, or actually watch the fights with more knowledge)

When I was extremely young i took boxing classes. I never sparred but did many drills, learn some techniques etc.. However I've seen theres a HUGE dichotomy from what my boxing instructor taught me and how many guys punch.

First off is that he told me whenever you jab you should basically lean forward with whatever foot is more towards your opponent. so basically "stepping" forward with that foot. I feel like i dont see a lot of these guys doing this though. SECOND and bigger question is that the way he taught us to do right straights is to pivot our hips i think? and also another big thing was to kind of also rotate the foot thats on the backside. so basically doing a big spring action while doing the straight, and the foot thats on the back would be almost on its toes while spinning. i also do not see this in a lot of MMA fights.

I realize this could be that it's just harder to spot for me, or that I never sparred..or maybe they're really not doing it.

Second is the hook. So basically my boxing instructor told us NEVER throw wild haymakers..the types you see regular kids throwin (or used to i feel like MMA is so much more widespread now kids may have tweaked this lol)..and that hooks should be COMPACT..and your arm and body should almost be like a CYLINDER. now after doin this he said the same thing...i dunno what he said exactly but from what my body remembers its to spring your WHOLE BODY almost, and not just your arm..and make your arm COMPACT.... i can feel the extra power from this..but the big question that i ask this..how the heck would you use this in a real fight? it seems like to me it takes so much extra time and positioning that you could get rocked in the process of it....do you just have to set it up? to me the range, timing, and positioning feels like it takes forever...

Any answers to these two questions would help me sleep a lot better. Input would be appreciated AHA

Hey guys, I guess I could say im a new MMA fan (watched it VERY VERY casually but now i want to know it better, whether i partake in it personally, or actually watch the fights with more knowledge)

When I was extremely young i took boxing classes. I never sparred but did many drills, learn some techniques etc.. However I've seen theres a HUGE dichotomy from what my boxing instructor taught me and how many guys punch.

First off is that he told me whenever you jab you should basically lean forward with whatever foot is more towards your opponent. so basically "stepping" forward with that foot. I feel like i dont see a lot of these guys doing this though. SECOND and bigger question is that the way he taught us to do right straights is to pivot our hips i think? and also another big thing was to kind of also rotate the foot thats on the backside. so basically doing a big spring action while doing the straight, and the foot thats on the back would be almost on its toes while spinning. i also do not see this in a lot of MMA fights.

I realize this could be that it's just harder to spot for me, or that I never sparred..or maybe they're really not doing it.

Second is the hook. So basically my boxing instructor told us NEVER throw wild haymakers..the types you see regular kids throwin (or used to i feel like MMA is so much more widespread now kids may have tweaked this lol)..and that hooks should be COMPACT..and your arm and body should almost be like a CYLINDER. now after doin this he said the same thing...i dunno what he said exactly but from what my body remembers its to spring your WHOLE BODY almost, and not just your arm..and make your arm COMPACT.... i can feel the extra power from this..but the big question that i ask this..how the heck would you use this in a real fight? it seems like to me it takes so much extra time and positioning that you could get rocked in the process of it....do you just have to set it up? to me the range, timing, and positioning feels like it takes forever...

Any answers to these two questions would help me sleep a lot better. Input would be appreciated AHA

Congratulations you have just discovered that MMA fighters are louse boxers. On a more serious note, they way most striking is done in MMA is pretty different than in boxing.

[YT]jzYMX_3K_xE[/YT]

As Rampage famously says...."I put my ass in it"
Meaning turn your hips when you punch.

Last edited:
How to throw a jab. Remember, kick off from your back foot.

PS: Nobody likes reading essays on sherdog.

this is exactly how is taught where i am learning.

at first I was like "really? no one does this in MMA..."

but I get more power of these techniques and I don't get tired as easily. Before it felt like I was out of breath so easily but now that I do try to do it this way I feel much better.

(i've only been learning a month but I am learning quickly, or so says my boxing teacher and I can see a lot of my mates at the league making beginner's mistakes)

You've been taught how to do it technically correct from the basics. But many people can get by and get better by deviating from the basics if they have other good attributes, power, speed, reach e.t.c. When you see a very good 'crisp' boxer as Rogan likes to say in MMA they are most often exhibiting good fundamentals. They have a tight guard, they don't throw wild haymakers, and they use the jab correctly to set up most of their work. In MMA you can get away with a lot more in terms of having looser technique because there are so many other things to think about. Also the stepping on the jab you might not see so much because some guys keep their weight further back so they can check kicks more easily off the front leg ala Muay Thai.

To get effective at the fundamentals and to keep that good technique during a spar or more so a real fight is often what separates the best from the mediocre. It takes hours and hours of practice to get it working well and most people especially in MMA just don't have the time.

Ha! I was always told to keep my hands up.It's just fundemential in boxing and karate, yet at least half of all UFC fighters fight with their hands way down at their sides. I do have a good laugh every time one gets hit hard when not protecting themselves, but I assume that a well rounded fighter does not want his opponent to know whether he will through a right or shoot for the double.

Back