Something needs to be done about weight cutting

1. I agree
2. Many don't. As far as I can tell about 1/3 of fans agree with you, 1/3 of fans disagree because they want less rules/regulations not more no matter what, and 1/3 of fans would agree with you if a solution could be found that isn't worse (complex, problematic) than the current problem.
3. This

Is pretty darn false. But they took a step, and hopefully others can learn from it. I don't want to get into all the reasons why it's false, but there are many. 2 reasons are a) they haven't been as transparent as we wish, and b) the gravity tests aren't as difficult to cheat as some seem to think (I'm reporting other people's opinions, not saying this is mine, so if you ask me to prove that gravity tests are or aren't foolproof, I won't).
4. California has tried to lead the way here in the states.
5. The found that the average weight gain between weigh-in and fight is 10% for UFC fighters. That forced them to change their approach, because they had been planning to make 10% the cut-off maximum.
6. Which is good. They made an assumption, did research before making a policy, then adjusted the policy based on the research and not the original assumption. This is slow and tedious, and exactly how public policy should be made
7. But it also proves that weight cuts are even more dramatic than we thought.
8. Instead they made the cut-off 15%. That's about 7% of fighters (in the 4 or 5 events so far). It was Ladd that pushed them into finally taking action, but once they did, they took action on quite a few fighters.
9. Lots of indications show that their hard work is falling on deaf ears. So far no other AC's have followed their path, and many fans and fighters (and UFC) have only showed resentment. And all fighters have to do is find another state to fight in.

That's an overview of the last 5 years of this topic. The very short version. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Thank you for the overview. Don't get me wrong, ONE definitly doesn't have it all figured out, but i do believe they made an important step that the other companies should follow just like you said

Didn't say the opposite. But it's dangerous and it depletes the fighters which gives us worse fights.

Fighters and trainers need to hold themselves accountable. If they’re depleting themselves to make weight it’s their own fault.

As much as I agree with TS, there's no easy way to enforce it. Even with CSAC's fight night weigh in policy, fighters can still just not fully hydrate. Dangerous for sure, but there are people who will take the risk. It would take an extensive, multi step plan and a lot of money to ensure fighters are close to natural weight, and there's nowhere near enough push for that to happen. It will take a high profile death before weight cutting is properly dealt with.

Jose "Shorty" Torres walks around 160, and drops to 125. He looks bigger than everybody in that division (he's a Brave CF warrior now, but he was a UFC name).

it is cheating because thats not your natural weight
The only ones and even there some are cutting weight are the HW's, every other division is filled with fighters that cut weight to make the division, my guess is that even in ONE FC where weight cut is supposed to be eliminated they still cut some weight, or try to get their weight down leading up to the fight, i mean i doubt Eddie Alvarez weighs 170lbs on fight night but he does the day before at the weigh-ins.

Some cut more than others, but thats the way the sport is, everyone is cutting weight to a degree, they would need to drop the current weight classes and set everyone in a weight class that is basically their "camp weight".

The only ones and even there some are cutting weight are the HW's, every other division is filled with fighters that cut weight to make the division, my guess is that even in ONE FC where weight cut is supposed to be eliminated they still cut some weight, or try to get their weight down leading up to the fight, i mean i doubt Eddie Alvarez weighs 170lbs on fight night but he does the day before at the weigh-ins.

Some cut more than others, but thats the way the sport is, everyone is cutting weight to a degree, they would need to drop the current weight classes and set everyone in a weight class that is basically their "camp weight".

or just a 300.000 Dollar Bonus for no weight cutters

{<redford}

In before the same day weigh ins posts
That's really the only answer if cutting really wants to be discouraged. Sure, it's dangerous for guys that cut weight, but so is fighting and they still choose to do that.

I wouldn't mind seeing it handled like college wrestling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back