1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Something needs to be done about weight cutting

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TCanaveira, Feb 10, 2020.

1. TCanaveira Purple Belt

Was watching this video of a Strongman trying a MMA workout with Lyman Good and Shane Burgos. And holy shit Burgos doesn't look like a featherweight at all. Guy looks bigger than Lyman, and Lyman is a WW for god sake. Time stamped but you can definitly see the size of him throughout the whole video

These new guys are cutting more and more weight as time goes by. Nowadays cutting 30 pounds is a normal cut. It's way too dangerous and we're not having the best fights because of it, how is someone supposed to perform at the best of their ability after such a big cut?

The UFC needs to control how much weight these guys cut. ONE already does it and it works like a peach

2. jsbx45 Black Belt

Wait, I thought we needed to do something about referees.

3. TCanaveira Purple Belt

Don't forget judging. MMA still has a lot of room for improvement

4. eiyuu Silver Belt

In before the same day weigh ins posts

5. Slatersan Black Belt

Ok we will let Dana know.

6. johncola Banned Banned

Getting rid of weight classes is how you get rid of weight cutting. Link

7. TCanaveira Purple Belt

Thanks mate

8. Mahkor Drunkmaster Flex Banned

When I saw this thread I thought you were gonna talk about the poor dudes that barely cut any weight and have to fight against cunts 15 or 20 pounds bigger than them.

But you for some reason are worried about the cunts cutting the 30 pounds.

9. ConorFacts Banned Banned

thats why i respect guys like Wilder & Fedor

they could make MW

10. NoSmilez Silver Belt

Why this strongman so tiny?

11. ConorFacts Banned Banned

Wrestlers cut more the same day and still performe well

stop crying

12. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

1. I agree
    2. Many don't. As far as I can tell about 1/3 of fans agree with you, 1/3 of fans disagree because they want less rules/regulations not more no matter what, and 1/3 of fans would agree with you if a solution could be found that isn't worse (complex, problematic) than the current problem.
    3. This
    Is pretty darn false. But they took a step, and hopefully others can learn from it. I don't want to get into all the reasons why it's false, but there are many. 2 reasons are a) they haven't been as transparent as we wish, and b) the gravity tests aren't as difficult to cheat as some seem to think (I'm reporting other people's opinions, not saying this is mine, so if you ask me to prove that gravity tests are or aren't foolproof, I won't).
    4. California has tried to lead the way here in the states.
    5. The found that the average weight gain between weigh-in and fight is 10% for UFC fighters. That forced them to change their approach, because they had been planning to make 10% the cut-off maximum.
    6. Which is good. They made an assumption, did research before making a policy, then adjusted the policy based on the research and not the original assumption. This is slow and tedious, and exactly how public policy should be made
    7. But it also proves that weight cuts are even more dramatic than we thought.
    8. Instead they made the cut-off 15%. That's about 7% of fighters (in the 4 or 5 events so far). It was Ladd that pushed them into finally taking action, but once they did, they took action on quite a few fighters.
    9. Lots of indications show that their hard work is falling on deaf ears. So far no other AC's have followed their path, and many fans and fighters (and UFC) have only showed resentment. And all fighters have to do is find another state to fight in.

That's an overview of the last 5 years of this topic. The very short version. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  13. Volador Black Belt

Why not do same-day weigh ins? Like Saturday afternoon.

So if you choose to cut weight and don’t have time to rehydrate yourself, it would be a disadvantage. Maybe you could get away with cutting 2-5lbs and that’s it.

If you miss weight, you’d be fined a % of your purse, but allowed to fight (barring some insane difference). If you did that and added a couple weight classes, I can’t see why most fighters wouldn’t fight at their normal weights.

14. Kumason MMA freak!

No they don't cut more. I wrestled for over 10 years, you are full of shit. These threads are always hilarious with huge amounts of ignorance and stupidity. People cut weight it's part of combat sports ya noobs.

15. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

And this guy is solidly in the 1/3 or so of fans who think there is no problem that needs fixing.

I respectfully disagree.

16. Kumason MMA freak!

I didn't say there was no problem with it did I? There's things that could or should be done but listening to the same idiots fumble around saying the same dumb shit over and over again is hilarious. I don't even have to read the thread, Sherdoggers have made this same thread a million times. Most people here haven't cut weight, been in a sport you might cut weight in or have been competitive on a semi high level in anything physical other than the physical demands that time they endured staying up all night to get their Wizard to level 70.

It's a very complicated matter, with a lot of things that would need to happen, but there's always loads of members here that are so stupid they think there's some super easy fix. Well, just make it illegal?! Durr

17. TITS ASS Platinum Member

I've been saying Burgos is a weight-cutting cheater for awhile now. Fight someone your own size for Christ's sake.

18. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

I don't disagree with that. TS certainly is unfamiliar with the scope of the problem, let alone solution.

That's why I tried to add context, facts, and history in my first post. Hopefully at least one person learned something, or stopped to think for a second. One can hope.

19. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

That's the thing, man. There's no such thing as a "weight cut cheater" in the context you're using it. Because unless he uses diuretics (which the test for) or something like that, he follows the rules.

Volk weighted 166.5 for his UFC 232 fight (source). FlyW DJ weighted more than BW Cody at UFC 227 (source). Burgos is far from unique.

That's why the issue is considered "systemic". And why any fix would be necessitate a "systemic fix".

20. Andre Xiong Silver Belt Professional Fighter

If u make weight u make weight

that’s #1

#2. there’s no good way to enforce it on the front end,unless someone misses weight X times on the back end, a commission can force a move up.