Something Joe said during Sadollah vs Damarques Johnson

TonyK

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I just watched the fight and he said something like "Sadollah uses a Dutch style, using a high guard, unlike the Thai style, where they drop their hands while throwing the techniques".

What? This makes no sense at all... Sure, some Thais drop their hands sometimes, but dropping your hands while throwing techniques has nothing to do with the Thai style of striking in general...

Tell me how and I will. If you want proof that he said that - just watch the fight.

Well, the Dutch do use a high guard to protect their face, and usually in the Thai style of kicking, you swing, you keep your opposite hand high and swing the arm on your kicking side to generate more force.

While i see what Joe is trying to say, it's hard to put a finger on it, as most Dutch style fighters who go up high swing their arm (it's a very natural motion and actually defensively beneficial

kamanvscarmichael.jpg

(kaman was a karate stylist initially and had a lot of "Thai" in his game, kicking especially, but he's a good pictorial example of the "Dutch" style)

Tell me how and I will. If you want proof that he said that - just watch the fight.

Find some various pictures online that illustrate your point. Reference the two stances you're discussing and show us why Joe is wrong. I'm interested, if you don't know how to post pictures use the Advanced Tab under posting and if you're already there try clicking the Insert Image (Mountain / Sun icon) and pasting the URL.

So you're telling us Joe is wrong, but really you have no idea and you're just basing it off of your own ideas?

To illustrate more specifically
24q1jkh.jpg

Notice how Amir doesn't throw his arm of his kicking side to his rear

As opposed to the quintessential Thai kicker
buakaw_s_cup_25010.jpg

So you don't understand...Joe must be wrong?

So you don't understand...Joe must be wrong?

No he understands, Joe just didn't really fully elaborate, considering a lot of dutch stylists swing their arms.

No one's really at fault here.

I bet he's never even been here in Thailand.

There are different styles of mauythai fighting. Just that majority of the guys here have really small frame so they usually fight a different style- standing in range and trading kicks like they were trading cookies at a party.

20081005_njkf_04.jpg

That's Saenchai

DaSpeeit is correct here. That's exactly what he's talking about. He's talked about it in his podcast as well

It's pretty well known that most Thai's prefer to kick, rather than to box. Obviously not the case with all of them, but you'll generally see a lot more punch combinations thrown from European fighters than Thai ones.

To illustrate more specifically
24q1jkh.jpg

Notice how Amir doesn't throw his arm of his kicking side to his rear

As opposed to the quintessential Thai kicker
buakaw_s_cup_25010.jpg

Without looking ahead to following posts:
Do you see how low arm compresses the rib cage and abdomen? It makes the abdominal/hop flexor muscle group more compact and concentrated.
I know anatomy, but not necessarily the "anatomy" of a kick.
My guess would be, if it's a conscious decision, that the focus is more power to the kick's impact, rather than the speed and mobility that the "high" guard might allow.
Not a pro though.
Just looks like the science behind arm-wrestling. Compact, explosive power from a pre-contracted muscle group.

Back