Something I Noticed.. Jones vs. Gustafsson

jones boxing is bad, its strange that it was even in discussion.

his reach is a misnomer, he has no jab to speak of.

his teep to the leg is his jab and he uses that more now than ever.
my real question though is, whats your point ts? that jones has not improved his boxing?

or is this a gus praise thread. its a good analysis but its been done a lot already.

Still baffled that Gus didn't get the nod.

If you're so baffled, have u seen the sherdog play by play scores. All three scored it for Bones

It's the significant strikes vs. volume of strikes method of scoring that will open your eyes

[YT]8a8gozvoB7I[/YT]

After viewing this sparring session between Jones and Holly Holm, I noticed
stopped reading here:)

i always thought jones was too long for traditional boxing. for the few seconds chael pressured him you could see how awkward he was at close range. jones is a master of controlling distance and playing to his strength. hes also such a good wrestler that if you try to fight in close where hes uncomfortable he just takes you down and elbows a hole in your head

"reach" != "jab" one can utilize reach with other tools than the jab in this sport.

Jones utilizes reach. he also has no jab.

him and gus only win cause of reach tho

and when posters on here talk reach, thats what they mean.

Good analysis, Jones doesn't have very good movement. I think he just really wasn't used to it, his best defense is usually offense or moving directly back.

Good analysis but the Holly Holm sparring session was unnecessary. It was not light sparring, it was joke sparring. Jon never aimed for the head, never put any weight on his punch and ultimately let Holly have her fun. Trying to draw some facts out of it is pointless. Holly felt free to throw a lot of punches because she met no opposition. If Jon had started to throw a stiff jab, it would have ended right there.

Yet the analysis of the Gus fight was right on. The jab won Gus most of the exchanges and it opened some gaps for strong punches like the right and left hooks he landed constantly. His constant movement kept Jon out of his zone and for once, there was no reach advantage where he could hide.

Good analysis.
10-9 Gus
10-10
10-9 Gus
10-10
10-9 Jones

Gus 49-48 imo

Wow, great analysis TS. Fist bump!

I do believe you're on to something. I believe Jones overall diversity led him to do things like the spinning elbow which was the most damaging strike he threw in the whole bout. In straight-up kick-boxing/boxing I believe he fell short. I also believe he "should" have lost on the official score-cards. IMHO.

+1. Very well said

Jones is a professional fighter who fights other professionals. What is this 'bully' nonsense? We all know that term is used negatively when it comes to him.

It means that Jones has been able to push his opponent around, beat the shit out of them and they haven't been able to do very much about it. Gus is the only one that put up a hard fight with Jones if you think about it. Gus is the only person that Jones couldn't push around.

Interesting thread!
In the fight you could clearly see Gus had good game plan to use his reach. Gus lose the fight but is was very close.
Gus land a lot of straight left punches.
Gus took Jones out of his game in my opinion, it was hard for Jones the reach Gus, so Jones looked different a usual, because couldn't land anything significant.
Jones clearly struggled with straight punches, because of the reach of Gus.
When Jones landed some good elbows, the game changed a bit to the advantage of Jones. That is the point i think the judges decide Jones had won.
But still the fight was very close.
If the judges decide Gus had won, i would agree as well. Maybe the judges had to consider a draw, so they could go for rematch.

Jon doesn't slip left well and he's not good at counter-movements. That's where the source of a lot of what you noticed comes from. He goes deep right with everything

i always thought jones was too long for traditional boxing. for the few seconds chael pressured him you could see how awkward he was at close range. jones is a master of controlling distance and playing to his strength. hes also such a good wrestler that if you try to fight in close where hes uncomfortable he just takes you down and elbows a hole in your head

That's fine, I figured that video could present some thin info about the fight with Gus, but if you watch it, you see that Gus used very much the same strategy as Holm did in this sparring clip. She was actually picking Jones apart, Jones kept going for that left hook to the body but every time he did, Holly was already throwing jabs at the head which would have landed, Gus did that perfectly. Of course, jabbing in a fight is something that should be done all the time either way, but it seemed like it was Gus' actual gameplan. Jones couldn't deal with the straight punches and movement of Gus until he stepped in for the elbows, once he stepped in for those elbows, Gus couldn't throw his straight punches and every time Jones got close, he wanted to throw that uppercut but Jones beat him to it first with the elbow.

I'm saying, it's interesting that Jones is known for being a master at a distance, but this time, his opponent was successful from a distance, Jones wasn't, Jones had to move in close in order to get any real significant strikes with punches and elbows, from a distance, all he could really land was kicks because Gus was picking him apart with just straight punches. Every time Jones tried to gain distance by putting his arm out, he ate a left hook, etc, etc.

I guess that's how I can write it all in short, still long, but a lot shorter, lol. I do agree with your post though.

I was like a broken record when I kept saying Jon has plodding slow footwork and people kept acting like I was a retard. There is almost something fragile about his movement and for being so flatfooted he is pillowfisted.

Hopefully they have reviewed the tape carefully. He does not have to sweat the shot at all. Instead of backing off at the end of the combination like fight one throw the leg kick at the end. If those legs are beat up Jon will be like a freaking turtle and he can get the stoppage.

Also look for the tells on the elbow perfect time to shoot.

I am more impressed with Jones after this fight, he stood and beat one of the best LHW strikers at their own game.

You ever hear of Deontay Wilder or I dunno Tommy Hearns?

Back