Something I never understood with Ortega

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Rayess, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Rayess Yellow Belt

Dude is all about BJJ ride or die but never competed in a single BJJ competition knowing he ended up being a UFC fighter.....

How can you be a prodigy at what you do, with a strong competitor mindset, without wanting to compete ?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. RoyJonesJr Carti Season

BJJ doesn't pay as much

3. B ville Famous Brown Belt

Maybe in his earlier years, he didn’t have enough money to sign up? I dunno, that is pretty interesting.

4. Pierced7681 Black Belt

He’s a Gracie jiu jitsu fighter not a sport bjj guy who doesn’t want to get hit

5. MileHigher AKA Mile-Hybrid

At the end of the day BJJ is meant to be used in combat right?

6. genecop Gold Belt

I’m sure he competed plenty inside the school with Rener and friends. Just not official..

7. ROIDZ Banned Banned

His Undefeated in the UFC. Sounds a lot harder than competing at a local gym in jits.

8. Awmun Orange Belt

oh snap...

9. Workaholic Silver Belt

First post nailed it

Lock it up mods, we're done here

10. ArtemV Gold Belt

That is interesting. I have thought his grappling was somewhat overrated; he would have much quicker wins if he had any kind of takedown game. Good luck waiting on Holloway gassing out.

11. HaulParris Gold Belt

A lot of things, like “BJJ black belt”, “NCAA D-1”, “Muay Thai World Champion”, “Olympian” - they all lost their luster about 10-15 years ago. All that matters is how good you are in MMA.

You can have someone like GSP (with no wrestling pedigree) or Jones (Junior college wrestler) ragdolling wrestlers who (on paper) should be wiping the floor with them.

You have Hughes and Lytle (both without any BJJ belt) pulling off crazy subs on decorated submission artists.

You have supposed kickboxing/karate phenoms getting lit up on the feet by a basic 1-2 from MMA fighters who only know 2 punches and a telegraphed kick.

I’m fine with Ortefa not competing in a grappling tourney. It’s more exciting for me to watch him pounce on a submission at just the right time in MMA, than roll on the mat for 20 minutes, only to end in a stemate.

12. mxer31 Purple Belt

didnt really pay at all until about 2 years ago.

13. TriangleMonkey Red Belt

Good post about the state of grappling in MMA. But if I remember, Hughes (Jeremy Horn) and Lytle (BJJ) were being trained subs along the way when they hit those. Lytle was a black belt finishing his career and I believe Hughes earned his along the way.

Anyway, what we have had for a long time is wrestlers being “streamlined” basic nogi jiu-jitsu, and incorprating it into the wrestling TDs and control and dominating that part of MMA. Its like its own grappling, a modern submission catch wrestling if you will. Look at MM, wasnt they claiming he was a white belt when he arm barred Reis (BJJ World Champ phenom)? Its a modern submission wrestling.

14. HaulParris Gold Belt

Good point. This made me think of dudes like Maia and Werdum. Imagine how much more lethal they would have been, had they incorporated wrestling earlier in their careers. Instead of diving on telegraped takedowns (Maia) or flopping down in hopes of enticing the opponent to get into your guard (Werdum), they could have dictated where and when their subs would happen, and truly be complete mixed martial artists.

15. Evangelion Gold Belt

Yes there are great fighters without those accolades but to say they lost their luster is too much.
    Champs
    HW Dc-Olympian wrestler
    Lhw-DC Olympian wrestler
    Mw- Whittaker Australian National wrestling champ
    Ww- Woodley All American wrestler
    Lw- Khabib Sambo champ
    BW- Tj Dillashaw D1 wrestler
    Fly- Cejudo Olympic gold medalist

Notice something?

16. ArabPride99 Blue Belt

They're all 6 feet or under?

<seedat>

17. Huligani Number One Bullshit

Whittaker was also gonna wrestle in the Commonwealth Games but UFC basically made him pull out, and he had Olympic aspirations. But then again, his background is karate lol. Amazing fighter.

18. MPD-Psycho Gold Belt

Good points so far.

The only thing about him is that his nickname makes no sense. A person can’t be a city.

19. MikeK1989 Blue Belt

Man that is crazy. I knew wrestling was important for a ton of successful fighters but for some reason I never knew every champ had a big wrestling background. Even though TJ hardly used any wrestling his last few fights his opponents still know he has it, and can use it. Which therefore helps TJ on his feet.

20. Diunx Banned Banned

I wanna see Kron vs Ortega tbh.