Something I never understood with Ortega

Rayess

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Dude is all about BJJ ride or die but never competed in a single BJJ competition knowing he ended up being a UFC fighter.....

How can you be a prodigy at what you do, with a strong competitor mindset, without wanting to compete ?

Last edited:
Dude is all about BJJ ride or die but never competed in a single BJJ competition knowing he ended up being a UFC fighter.....
Maybe in his earlier years, he didn’t have enough money to sign up? I dunno, that is pretty interesting.

He’s a Gracie jiu jitsu fighter not a sport bjj guy who doesn’t want to get hit

At the end of the day BJJ is meant to be used in combat right?

I’m sure he competed plenty inside the school with Rener and friends. Just not official..

His Undefeated in the UFC. Sounds a lot harder than competing at a local gym in jits.

That is interesting. I have thought his grappling was somewhat overrated; he would have much quicker wins if he had any kind of takedown game. Good luck waiting on Holloway gassing out.

A lot of things, like “BJJ black belt”, “NCAA D-1”, “Muay Thai World Champion”, “Olympian” - they all lost their luster about 10-15 years ago. All that matters is how good you are in MMA.

You can have someone like GSP (with no wrestling pedigree) or Jones (Junior college wrestler) ragdolling wrestlers who (on paper) should be wiping the floor with them.

You have Hughes and Lytle (both without any BJJ belt) pulling off crazy subs on decorated submission artists.

You have supposed kickboxing/karate phenoms getting lit up on the feet by a basic 1-2 from MMA fighters who only know 2 punches and a telegraphed kick.

I’m fine with Ortefa not competing in a grappling tourney. It’s more exciting for me to watch him pounce on a submission at just the right time in MMA, than roll on the mat for 20 minutes, only to end in a stemate.

A lot of things, like “BJJ black belt”, “NCAA D-1”, “Muay Thai World Champion”, “Olympian” - they all lost their luster about 10-15 years ago. All that matters is how good you are in MMA.

You can have someone like GSP (with no wrestling pedigree) or Jones (Junior college wrestler) ragdolling wrestlers who (on paper) should be wiping the floor with them.

You have Hughes and Lytle (both without any BJJ belt) pulling off crazy subs on decorated submission artists.

You have supposed kickboxing/karate phenoms getting lit up on the feet by a basic 1-2 from MMA fighters who only know 2 punches and a telegraphed kick.

I’m fine with Ortefa not competing in a grappling tourney. It’s more exciting for me to watch him pounce on a submission at just the right time in MMA, than roll on the mat for 20 minutes, only to end in a stemate.

Good post about the state of grappling in MMA. But if I remember, Hughes (Jeremy Horn) and Lytle (BJJ) were being trained subs along the way when they hit those. Lytle was a black belt finishing his career and I believe Hughes earned his along the way.

Anyway, what we have had for a long time is wrestlers being “streamlined” basic nogi jiu-jitsu, and incorprating it into the wrestling TDs and control and dominating that part of MMA. Its like its own grappling, a modern submission catch wrestling if you will. Look at MM, wasnt they claiming he was a white belt when he arm barred Reis (BJJ World Champ phenom)? Its a modern submission wrestling.

Good post about the state of grappling in MMA. But if I remember, Hughes (Jeremy Horn) and Lytle (BJJ) were being trained subs along the way when they hit those. Lytle was a black belt finishing his career and I believe Hughes earned his along the way.

Anyway, what we have had for a long time is wrestlers being “streamlined” basic nogi jiu-jitsu, and incorprating it into the wrestling TDs and control and dominating that part of MMA. Its like its own grappling, a modern submission catch wrestling if you will. Look at MM, wasnt they claiming he was a white belt when he arm barred Reis (BJJ World Champ phenom)? Its a modern submission wrestling.

Good point. This made me think of dudes like Maia and Werdum. Imagine how much more lethal they would have been, had they incorporated wrestling earlier in their careers. Instead of diving on telegraped takedowns (Maia) or flopping down in hopes of enticing the opponent to get into your guard (Werdum), they could have dictated where and when their subs would happen, and truly be complete mixed martial artists.

Yes there are great fighters without those accolades but to say they lost their luster is too much.
Champs
HW Dc-Olympian wrestler
Lhw-DC Olympian wrestler
Mw- Whittaker Australian National wrestling champ
Ww- Woodley All American wrestler
Lw- Khabib Sambo champ
BW- Tj Dillashaw D1 wrestler
Fly- Cejudo Olympic gold medalist

Notice something?

Yes there are great fighters without those accolades but to say they lost their luster is too much.
Champs
HW Dc-Olympian wrestler
Lhw-DC Olympian wrestler
Lw- Khabib Sambo champ

Notice something?

They're all 6 feet or under?

<seedat>

Champs
HW Dc-Olympian wrestler
Lhw-DC Olympian wrestler
Lw- Khabib Sambo champ

Notice something?

Whittaker was also gonna wrestle in the Commonwealth Games but UFC basically made him pull out, and he had Olympic aspirations. But then again, his background is karate lol. Amazing fighter.

Good points so far.

The only thing about him is that his nickname makes no sense. A person can’t be a city.

Champs
HW Dc-Olympian wrestler
Lhw-DC Olympian wrestler
Lw- Khabib Sambo champ

Notice something?

Man that is crazy. I knew wrestling was important for a ton of successful fighters but for some reason I never knew every champ had a big wrestling background. Even though TJ hardly used any wrestling his last few fights his opponents still know he has it, and can use it. Which therefore helps TJ on his feet.

Back