Something I just realized...way less eyepokes in Pride?

Maroli

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's kind of interesting;whereas every UFC event generally has at least one eyepoke...Pride HARDLY ever did (at least I don't remember many). I know Barnett in his OWGP fight against CroCop might have but I'm hard pressed to remember others.

Why?

Different gloves (Pride is more padding I believe)?
Different styles?
Was it the 'bushido' spirit in Pride that made fighters not complain about an eye poke?

This thread isn't about which promotion was better, it's just a curious observation.

been so long i don't remember and haven't seen all of the pride events. did they have the like 10 minute stoppages from low blows like dream?

Well, Jon Jones didn't fight in Pride, so the statistics are a bit skewed.

I know some fighters have mentioned that the UFC gloves are all super stiff which makes it harder to hold a fist. Perhaps Pride gloves were more worn in prior to fights or shaped differently. Purely a guess though.

It's been discussed before; they had different gloves, the UFC has actually stated they're trying to redesign their gloves

yeah I think the Pride gloves were 6 ounce? I mean, that seems like an ABSURDLY simple fix to prevent a horrible injury. And Yvel-Frye wasn't an eyepoke, those were intentional gouges

I believe I heard Rogan talking on a recent podcast about how the Pride gloves were curved and helped keep your hands in a fist-like state, especially as you grew more tired.

They happened. Not as often, but they happened. It's also less about the gloves and more about the style. PRIDE had fewer freestyle and Greco wrestlers whereas the entire undercard of a UFC event is going to be freestyle guys who strike a bit. Their striking style is homogenized. Punch punch grab the head. If the head is in a different place, the finger gets near the eye then a poke happens.

The gloves were different.

7705287694_0a50db1f6f_o.jpg

pride-mma-gloves-500px.jpg

ufc-gloves-300x240.jpg

Take note how your fingers all stick out in the UFC gloves but not in the PRIDE ones.

$T2eC16h,!ygE9s7HLcTIBRfwPjwz2!~~60_35.JPG

vs

143441-lg.jpg

Looks like the Pride ones had two sections on the top of the hand that curved them naturally a little more.

dat butthurt, stay vexed homie

I'm no hater, butthurt, opposing fighter nuthugger, or whatever the fuck you people can up with, but Jon Jones throws more eye pokes than anybody.

I'm no hater, butthurt, opposing fighter nuthugger, or whatever the fuck you people can up with, but Jon Jones throws more eye pokes than anybody.

He is currently, but it wasn't so long ago that the joke was 'Chuck 'The Eyes-Man Liddel'.

Back