Someone remind me why Brock agreed to fight Ubereem?

Paul Heyman signed the fight. Brock just shows up

please explain to me why.
heath herring?- come the fuck on. the guy was always mid tier hw and he got to the ufc past his prime.
randy was so much smaller and older than brock this fight was so dumb.
frank looked like shit after his accident. had some gains on trt. was super inconsistent for the most part. he also fought brock poorly. this was not impressive. any wrestler of brocks size who can cycle steroids and get around the testing is going to be a problem for fighters of this level.

shane carwin was simply just power. who did he ever beat? his fight iq was so bad in the brock fight.

then brock lost to allistar and cain the first two legit challenges. then he beats mark hunt on steroids so it gets turned to a nc. and he fucked marks head up a legend of the sport fighting on steroids like a bitch.

you must have brain damage or just be so confused by the ufc hype machine and your love for brock you completely over look the facts.

Hey genius, you're forgetting that Brock was a rookie and got thrown to contenders right off the bat. Whatever you may think of his opponents, which essentially boils down to "When they lose, they suck. When the win, they're awesome", Brock was a ROOKIE, and never faced anyone outside of the UFC's top 10. That is not being fed easy opponents, no matter how many juvenile leaps in logic you want to make to try and argue that.

At the time of the fight, many here thought brock was the favorite. They thought he would take overeem down and maul him. I knew there was no way overeem would lose. I was at work and had to avoid the internet to not see a spoiler until i got home to watch the dvr.

At the time, there were plenty of people who thought Brock could win. Brock is known for his wrestling, Overeem has decent/good TDD but if you had to list his skills, it would be striking > BJJ > wrestling. It was almost an even money fight in terms of bet odds. Heck, most of the time in a wrestler vs striker match, people bet on the wrestler. Granted, Overeem is generally well rounded but his wrestling is probably his weakness (even though its still decent/good)

Respect. And yeah I agree with many other posters, he took that fight because he wasn’t a pussy and wanted to face the best.

Yeah. That's why he went straight back to WWE after that fight. :rolleyes:

Lesnar was always in MMA for the money. Period. It was never about "testing himself against the best". Even when Lesnar was champ he would say straight out in interviews that he was not a fan of the sport, did not watch PPV's and had no knowledge of or interest in MMA history.

brock had stomach issues from years of steroid abuse and literally having the diet of a child where he refused to eat veggies and stuff. i think he took this fight because he was mocked for only fighting aging hws and he was taking the easy path and ubereem coming in people expected to be a lesser version because no steroids but for it to still be a big deal.

the ufc gave brock every chance and easy fight possible. when he was pressed he lost.
Wow that’s an awful take....

You must have missed the weigh ins

Arianny sure didn't
arianny.jpg

the ufc gave brock every chance and easy fight possible. when he was pressed he lost.

Lesnar was forced to fight the number one contenders once he became champ. But he definitely had an easy path to his title shot. Probably the quickest and easiest title shot in modern UFC history.

And once Brock lost that UFC title he was one and done.

It's always been about paydays and growing his brand with Lesnar. He knew if he could become a multiple time UFC champ his salary would increase astronomically in a return to WWE. And he was right. (At least according to some of the fake wrasslin' fanboys I used to hang out with.)

Yeah. That's why he went straight back to WWE after that fight. :rolleyes:

Lesnar was always in MMA for the money. Period. It was never about "testing himself against the best". Even when Lesnar was champ he would say straight out in interviews that he was not a fan of the sport, did not watch PPV's and had no knowledge of or interest in MMA history.
Mate I’m not a Lesnar fan by any means but WWE or not he got in there and fought top quality.

Lesnar is a total dick he can fuck off from the sport and I was glad to see him lose. Respect where it’s due, he had a good go.

UFC would call him up with a name and he'd say yes. All he cared about was the money, as along as that was taken care of it was whatever.

yeah but I don't think he was in better shape or stronger in his first ufc fight, also his body looked less impressive
Give it up bro, that WAS the last official sighting of teh Ubereem

I wouldnt doubt that given Brocks huge ego and the fact that Alistair was coming over from a lesser organization, he probably never saw nor took the time to see Ubereem in action and just signed the contract lmao.

Back then I had only been a casual fan of MMA for a few years. I only knew the champions and bigger names at the time

I can't remember why Brock even decided that he would fight Overeem after coming back from diverticulitis which I still believe wasn't any bs and Brock really had it. Respect to Brock for doing it because as we all know Overeem at the time was 270lbs of K1 championship level striking while Brock was getting schooled by Pat Barry in the gym

The UFC should have given him a comeback fight. I guess they figured that Brock was done anyway but I'm still not sure why Brock even agreed to it in the first place especially since the fight before that he got beat pretty badly by Cain

Risk VS Reward.

Brock was probably thinking he easily could take him down to prevent injury (since he was recuperating from diverticulitis) from being kicked/punched etc.
He was not a ducker either like some of the fighters ot today,

Money is usually the biggest motivator, i am certain he got offered quite a lot for Overeem.

Even i would accept to fight Overeem (even Ubereem) for several million USD.

Brock, despite his faults was not a cherry picker and had balls.
Fought tough top guys right from the start when he was a noob
He rolled the dice and he got clobbered on this occasion. Cant hate him for that

Back then I had only been a casual fan of MMA for a few years. I only knew the champions and bigger names at the time

I can't remember why Brock even decided that he would fight Overeem after coming back from diverticulitis which I still believe wasn't any bs and Brock really had it. Respect to Brock for doing it because as we all know Overeem at the time was 270lbs of K1 championship level striking while Brock was getting schooled by Pat Barry in the gym

The UFC should have given him a comeback fight. I guess they figured that Brock was done anyway but I'm still not sure why Brock even agreed to it in the first place especially since the fight before that he got beat pretty badly by Cain

Overeem was making his UFC debut and back then people were still clueless about talent outside of the UFC.

True , but he also had shrunk somewhat by then. Against Rogers and during his k1 one he was even bigger and significantly so.
yeah but I don't think he was in better shape or stronger in his first ufc fight, also his body looked less impressive
Wow and I always thought the people arguing that ubereem was the same guy who lost to bigfoot, travis and ben rothwell were ridiculous. You guys take the cake

Cuz Brock thought he was the Master Race until he met the Dutchman

they figured he'd be able to take him down. and he could have, if he hadn't been so gunshy and afraid of getting hit.

ironically, he could've probably knocked Overeem out had he had any confidence in his hands whatsoever. he cut Overeem with a bitch slap that he didn't even commit to.

Back