Someone please explain to me how you think you only need your martial arts training f

J-Flow

White Belt
Reaction score
I think the people who say "the only weapons i need to defend myself are my hands and feet" are idiots...

explain to me how this is true??

I think the people who say "the only weapons i need to defend myself are my hands and feet" are idiots...

You should explain your statement.

Im not insecure enough to need a weapon on me at all times.

Further I dont live in an environment where there is a high likelihood of being attacked. That is counter product to self defense to begin with.

There are obviously times when a weapon would be nice, required, necessary. However instead of laying somebody's guts out, or killing them and having to go through a load of bullshit with the law I would rather break their jaw, choke them out and go on about my business. A free man, safe. Without even a doubt on my conscience.

If you carry a weapon at all times, cool. I could care less as long as you dont try to use it on me lol.

yeh man, us Muay Thai people have 8 weapons. I have 9, including my ability to shoot weapons thanks to the gool ol' US Military.

I don't train so I can defend myself, I do it for the exercise and confidence it gives me.

I dunno, I train to fight on the ring, not the street.
Then again if I lived in a place where just about anyone can get their hands on a gun I`d probably own one myself.

Thankfully not all countries let their people have the right to carry guns.

I train hard but I know that weapons are necessary when it gets really bad (more then one opponent, armed opponent etc.) Its always good to have a little extra something on you (gun, blade, stick) when it gets ugly. That is...if the law allows you. I'd carry a small pistol daily if I could but I can't so I train hard with the weapons I have...hands, knees, elbows and feet.

Guns won't help you if you don't know how to defend yourself.
Step 1 is always to get wrist control

Im not insecure enough to need a weapon on me at all times.

Further I dont live in an environment where there is a high likelihood of being attacked. That is counter product to self defense to begin with.

There are obviously times when a weapon would be nice, required, necessary. However instead of laying somebody's guts out, or killing them and having to go through a load of bullshit with the law I would rather break their jaw, choke them out and go on about my business. A free man, safe. Without even a doubt on my conscience.

If you carry a weapon at all times, cool. I could care less as long as you dont try to use it on me lol.

Cool bro, but I AM secure enough with the fact that no matter how good I get, and how many fights I've had, or even how reasonable I am, there is always someone who wants to hurt you. In school I got into TOO MANY fight because of how I looked (6'2" 152lbs at the time, and only white kid good at ball). This isprobably why I got jumped so many times in middle school, and why I got robbed 3 times at gun point. I've lived in bad areas my whole life, and now is no different; I would rather stab someone in their neck, than risk being beaten to death by 5 dudes...

Cool bro, but I AM secure enough with the fact that no matter how good I get, and how many fights I've had, or even how reasonable I am, there is always someone who wants to hurt you. In school I got into TOO MANY fight because of how I looked (6'2" 152lbs at the time, and only white kid good at ball). This isprobably why I got jumped so many times in middle school, and why I got robbed 3 times at gun point. I've lived in bad areas my whole life, and now is no different; I would rather stab someone in their neck, than risk being beaten to death by 5 dudes...

Well of course there are always assholes out there.

And being one of those same kinds of guys, who enjoyed playing basketball, was maybe alright in skill level, found myself jumped quite a few times in life too.

I still dont feel a need to carry a weapon on me. And as I mentioned, living in an environment where a weapon is necassary is counter productive to self defense to begin with. Removing yourself from the problem area's is the first step in avoiding them.

Easier said then done though, because money doesnt grow on tree's and sometimes there are things keeping you where you live.

Well of course there are always assholes out there.

And being one of those same kinds of guys, who enjoyed playing basketball, was maybe alright in skill level, found myself jumped quite a few times in life too.

I still dont feel a need to carry a weapon on me. And as I mentioned, living in an environment where a weapon is necassary is counter productive to self defense to begin with. Removing yourself from the problem area's is the first step in avoiding them.

Easier said then done though, because money doesnt grow on tree's and sometimes there are things keeping you where you live.

Last sentence sums it about up. LOL, except now I live just outside the ghetto. Oh, and one more thing I failed to mention. I don't have a car, and haven't had one for some time, so that means I walk to my graveyard job every night at 11pm... Yeah, it's great being poor, and not having a mommy to buy me a car/co-sign (not saying this towards you Flex, just venting at my friends who have it so easy, yet complain over BS).

Heh...anyways, if I was ever confronted by a person with a knife I would run to begin with. And that's even if I had a bigger knife. I'm pretty quick for a white boy. LOL!

It sounds like we carry similar ideology and life experiences Red.

A fortunate son I am surely not.

Indeed. I could tell you weren't the richest of fella's, seeing that you're always sifting through Jeff's fridge...lol! That guy can eat too....uhhh....and make a damn good website. ;) WHere you really from bro? Did your old location used to say Australia? Maybe I got you confused for someone else...

Oh, and it's good see someone with the sense to KNOW the could chokeout, beat up, stop, or even kill an armed opponent, yet chooses to spare the chance of a life being ended. I honestly am more afraid of really killing someone, and then going to prison...because I don't know how to knife fight, and I would be aiming for vital organs with my blade in an unmanageable situation.

Im from Baltimore, Maryland originally. A lived in a few different neighborhoods, from Glen Burnie and Landsdown to West Port.

I literally grew up fighting, in fact my mother was just joking with my girlfriend over Thanksgiving dinner that she had to raise two tough boys because of the neighborhoods we lived in. These days I find myself in a very different situation than I did early in life, Im more likely be killed by wildlife than other human beings. But like with anywhere, we've got our fair share of the bad element as well. Different set of circumstances though than say Sacramento, California or Baltimore, Maryland.

Its probably safe to say the people that I would potentially have problems with, are most likely armed. Something I keep in mind when I feel like stepping out my car and handling somebody riding my ass with their high beams on for example. Which has happened in the past, you do think twice about fighting when somebody could have a gun.

The notion of them being armed is enough to make you think twice, I know it certainly does for me.

The notion of them being armed is enough to make you think twice, I know it certainly does for me.

And to think those crazy brits are unarmed?! LOL, funny post by someone I read earlier, and had to make it a thread on GracieFighter.com:

I'll definitely be buying a shotty soon, though, because I would rather my apt be safe.

I know what's coming next

lmao.

Reminds me of the guy who "found" a gun in the UK and walked into the police station to hand it in. Only to be promptly arrested for possession of a fire arm.

lmao.

Reminds me of the guy who "found" a gun in the UK and walked into the police station to hand it in. Only to be promptly arrested for possession of a fire arm.

LOL!!! Damn, you can't even follow the law in the UK without being jailed.

Honestly I think people with that kind of mindset are just dumb. I mean, I take MA, I fight MMA, and I absolutely love fighting... in a ring. But I'm not going to walk around like a billy-badass until I learn how to catch a bullet. Where I live, it doesn't matter how good you can fight- about 30 miles from where I live there's been about 40 people shot in about two months. My town where I live, there has been about 3 people shot in 2 weeks...

Nomatter how good you can use your body... if you don't have a weapon, I'd suggest not getting into a lot of street fights.

Using your eyes and brain will help you a lot more than your hands and feet.

Back