Someone explain why Josh Thomson is getting a title shot over Khabib....

Josh has been around for a long time and has earned a shot by KO'g former #1 contender Nate Diaz, and by performing very well in 3 fights against former #1 contender Gilbert Melendez, including a win over him for the Strikeforce title back in '09. Plus, he's from California and could bring in fans from the area.
Nurmagomedov's best "name" win is probably Gleison Tibau (UD 2012).
He's very good but he's not known well enough in the USA yet. A couple of more PPV wins & he'll get his chance.

Last edited:
Rafael dos Anjos should be getting the shot honestly.

don't lose sleep over it thread starter. khabib is being brought on slowly, it will only benefit him in the long run I assume. let Thomson get ko'ed or submitted by Pettis, and khabib get another win or two and they can meet.

Knocking out the recent number 1 contender who has never been stopped by strikes is a pretty big statement. Thomson deserves it. Plus originaly it was suppose to be TJ Grant fighting for the title. This is just how things ended up.

What will be interesting to see, is what will happen if Thomson wins and Khabib is scheduled for the next title shot.
When in the USA, Khabib trains with Thomson.
He was even in his corner in his last fight.

All I can say the correct decision would have been waiting for Melendez and if he wins give him title shot. But they probably want to hype pettis up, both Thomson and Khabib needs at least 1 more impressive win against TOP5(!) opponents.

Thompson annoys me. I'm sick of seeing this 200 lb looking guy beating up on 155'ers.

What a stupid thread. Khabib doesn't have nearly the same amount of top wins as Thomson. Thomson just KTFO one of the last title contenders. I'll give Khabib props for his win over Healy. That's his biggest win, and Thomson looked more impressive beating Healy. Khabib hasn't beaten a single top 10 guy other than Pat. Mods delete this thread, please.

join date 2005 and a white belt. come on use your real account!

No bro!!!, that may not be the case. Maybe his case is like mine. Not all the guys that come in here are fat couch potatoes like you that can seat all the freaking day posting shit on sherdog. Some of us don't even have time or feel like responding or reading the majority of pointless, retarded and stupid threads that people normally start in here all the time. So, buddy...when it comes to love and knowledge about something, in this case MMA, judging somebody for a belt given by a website or the amount of posts he puts up is pointless, retarded and stupid. Love you bro!!!

86_religion said:
Join dates and colors of belts have nothing to do with anything. Weirdo.

Seriously. Remember Subfighter? forums were always way more educated there. Miss it.

Hans Gercmiov said:
And it must be coincidence Faber and Mendes are also on the card. Dumb ass.

misunderstood your original post, my bad... but maybe still consider taking a break from the keyboard

Because Khabib hadn't even beaten a ranked opponent when this fight was booked.

He was getting tagged by Healy. The fuck you think Pettis is going to do to him?

Let him develop a little more before going after the throne, esp the lightweight one. 2-3 more wins in the top ten and he'll have made it undeniable.

Nurmagomedov & Thomson are bros

I think he even dedicated his win over Healy to Thomson because it was his birthday (turned 35)

Thomson is also very cool with giving his bro a title shot

Since TJ Grant is out... why is Thompson the one getting a title shot and not Khabib?

Thompson is on a whopping ONE fight winning streak, against a guy whose had 2 losses in a row and hasn't won a fight since early 2012. Does that really qualify for a title shot?

Khabib is on a 21 fight win streak, and has been ragdolling guys left and right.

Not to mention that Khabib vs Pettis is a much more intriguing fight, and Khabib could likely beat Pettis, while I don't think Thompson stands much of a chance.

1) because the fight was setup before Khabib's last win.
That means they did nto know if he would win or lose.

2) because they want LW to start moving. (It's been stuck on rematches for too long!)

thompson won by tko over nate, a former title contender. he is the most logical choice imo before grant got injured again

Let them do what they want. My boy Khabib will only get better in the mean-time. I'm just waiting for him to steamroll someone else, and get the title-shot. I don't want no losses just so people can say he was over-hyped (yeah, i know he's not being hyped at all, but haters will say exactly that) and wasn't up for the task.

Josh Thomson was the highest ranked fighter without a fight booked when they needed a replacement.

Back