Someone explain why Josh Thomson is getting a title shot over Khabib....

Massmurder002

White Belt
Reaction score
Since TJ Grant is out... why is Thompson the one getting a title shot and not Khabib?

Thompson is on a whopping ONE fight winning streak, against a guy whose had 2 losses in a row and hasn't won a fight since early 2012. Does that really qualify for a title shot?

Khabib is on a 21 fight win streak, and has been ragdolling guys left and right.

Not to mention that Khabib vs Pettis is a much more intriguing fight, and Khabib could likely beat Pettis, while I don't think Thompson stands much of a chance.

Who's Thompson?

Josh Thomson deserves a title shot for losing a controversial split decision and KO'ing the last two #1 contenders before Pettis.

He's getting one over Khabib on timing and marketability.

join date 2005 and a white belt. come on use your real account!

Because Khabib just fought and won and the fight was already booked is the most logical explanation.

Also I think he needs another win before a crack at the title. Where as Thomson stopped Diaz, lost a split to Gil and is by most already considered a top 10 LW who always puts on a good show.

So while the rest of the division figures itself out this should be an amazing fight.

Thomson is the former Strikeforce champion, has beaten Melendez, choked out Pat Healy who just fought Khabib (who Khabib beat), Thomson just ko'd Nate who has never been ko'd and had just fought for the title. Overall Thomson has fought bigger names and tougher competition than Khabib. Either fight against Pettis I would love to see.

Thompson is on a whopping ONE fight winning streak, against a guy whose had 2 losses in a row...

One of those two losses is Thomson.

when the decision was made, Khabib had a fight scheduled. maybe you watched it, i'm not sure, but if you didn't, i bet you heard about it.

Dana is pretty good at his job but i dont think he invented a time machine yet, TS.

Pettis vs Thomson was scheduled before Khabib's win over Healy.

Just guessing...

Knocking out Diaz is at least equal to decisioning Healy (lest we forget that Thomson stopped Healy awhile back, as well). The fight was made before Khabib's fight, as well. Thomson is coming off a razor close fight with Melendez and a stoppage win over Diaz (who was coming off a title shot and was top 5 at the time). Khabib is at the very most equally deserving, and I'll say again, the fight was made before Khabib's last win.

Khabib hadn't even fought Healy yet when this fight was made. Plus Thompson is coming off a huge KO win over a former recent title challenger in Nate Diaz. Khabib is still rather unknown.

RDA is the one that's getting lost in the shuffle here and arguably has a bigger claim than Khabib and Thomson.

Since TJ Grant is out... why is Thompson the one getting a title shot and not Khabib?

Thompson is on a whopping ONE fight winning streak, against a guy whose had 2 losses in a row and hasn't won a fight since early 2012. Does that really qualify for a title shot?

Khabib is on a 21 fight win streak, and has been ragdolling guys left and right.

Not to mention that Khabib vs Pettis is a much more intriguing fight, and Khabib could likely beat Pettis, while I don't think Thompson stands much of a chance.

I find it funny when people talk about two fight losing streaks or whatever when the dude lost to the champ. It's simple Thompson beat a higher ranked.guy who just fought for the title. And when he beat him he had just fought for the belt so he wasn't on a two fight skid when he fought him. And Khabib just beat pat healy. Whoopty shit. Im a huge fan of Khabib but finishing a guy who just was number one contender who the champ didn't finish def weighs more than beating pat Healy

Lol on the two fight skid quote. Thompson is the one who made him be on a two fight skid. When Thomson headkicked his ass he was just coming off a title fight slap nuts

Thomson was booked before Khabib had his last fight. Plus Khabib isn't the most well-known guy out there right now. I think he needs another high profile win to really be able to market him in a title fight.

The "guy who had two losses in a row" was Nate Diaz and it was a title shot he went to a UD with, and then a KO against Thomson.

TS is a hater.

Khabib's win over Tibau was controversial and his best win was a decision vs. Pat Healy who was #10 in the UFC LW rankings. Thomson choked out Healy, and ko'ed the iron chinned Nate Diaz, who was like 4 or 5 in the rankings iirc. So deserves it a lot more on win quality and style. That's why he's getting it over Khabib. But I would have given it to Gil with his Bendo fight a 50/50 and having a 7-fight win streak preceding w/ two w's over Thomson.

The "guy who had two losses in a row" was Nate Diaz and it was a title shot he went to a UD with, and then a KO against Thomson.

TS is a hater.

He's not a hater. He's a Khabib nuthugger. He's started a ton of threads about how he'd crush Pettis because he beat Healy and Trujillo in decisions.

But the point about Thomson beating an opponent with two losses in a row is retarded. Not only because of what you said, but the fact that half the losses came from Thomson himself. So he's using Thomson's success to discredit him in an argument as to why he's not deserving of bigger opportunities. That's always a telltale sign of a person with an agenda. Also, rounding up or down statistics in the illogical way to make performance look worse than it was.

Thomson is from California for one

Yeah guy, just like a large percentage of most other good fighters. Only thing I ever remember coming from Texas was steers and queers boss.

One more thing champ, almost 5k posts in 3 years. Get out of the basement and get a job.

Yeah guy, just like a large percentage of most other good fighters. Only thing I ever remember coming from Texas was steers and queers boss.

One more thing champ, almost 5k posts in 3 years. Get out of the basement and get a job.

And it must be coincidence Faber and Mendes are also on the card. Dumb ass.

Back