someone else was steal during a competition?

genkisudo69

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
last competition was very frustating. i foguht against a hard guy. i sweep him well and end in his half guard. he tried to get some submission without success.
and the end he get a guillotine, a very tight one. i had some critical moments surviving.
with twenty seconds the referee stop the fight becasue he said i fell unconscious.
i jump becasue i think i won. the referee said i was sleep. i was 20 secons away and the referee steal my fight and competition.
aftr months of training i feel frustated.
these days i don

As long as you know the truth, that's all that matters. I'm pretty sure it didn't cost you thousands in prize money, am I right? Just keep on keepin' on.

It is a hard one to take but safety first and it is not the first or the last time a referee will make the wrong call.

Stuff like that happens more than you'd think. Last year, my friend actually beat this guy in a match-purple belt division, but the referee messed up and gave the other guy the match. It was a major mistake, but, because thee ref. had already raised the other guy's hand, he couldn't change the decision or something. Later that year, my same friend was in Japan competing in an ADCC pro division competition. He CLEARLY beat the other guy by three advantage points. The referee made a mistake and gave the other guy the match.

Thats a bummer, but as long as you feel like you did well even though the ref made a bad call, dont let it bother you.

It definitely sucks. I lost a match once because my opponent had me in a poorly executed armbar that I was surviving just fine and about to escape when the ref stopped it for "safety". Problem is, I was never in danger.

Also, I just watched a video from Subs101 where a 10th planet guy tapped his opponent with an Electric Chair and he was DQ'd because the judges didn't know what the move was. How f'in stupid? If I were him, I would gladly volunteer to demonstrate to the judges exactly what an Electric Chair is....

yes. i travel to another country to get steal by a referee.
it was really frustating.
i know that i was 20 seconds away of a victory.
in my book i win.
but i lost the possibility of fight again in the finals.
its just i am frustated :icon_sad:

I lost a pretty important match because of bad reffing.

I got the take down, he got reversal and something else, then I reversed him and got something else. So, I should be up by the takedown. I look up at the score board, see that someones ahead, assume it's me, and kinda lock down position for the last 10 secs.

Well, apparently my reversal and whatever wasn't counted, so I was never in the lead to begin with. D'OH! lol, frustrating.....

It happens. I had a match where i was behind on points with about 45 seconds left. I had just taken the guys back and was putting on a RNC and the ref stopped us because my opponent had a bit of blood dripping from a cut on his lip.

He got a good minute break and they stopped the bleeding then reset us, only the ref would only let me start with both hooks and my arms around his chest under his arm pits. I argued that i had been about to finish the RNC choke and we should be put back into that position but the ref wouldn't let it happen. We started up and the guy was able to hold on and ride out for the win.

Afterward my opponent told me he thought the stoppage for the blood was bad and i may have finished him if it weren't for that.

OH well still great to be on the mats. It happens

I understand it is frustrating but if BJJ is what you love, I would not let something like this take away from it. Do you have fun competing? If it is not fun anymore, don't do it. Just don't be bitter and regret it later.

ive heard about this type of stuff but i havent competed yet.

i think the only way to stop it happening is to win by submission instead of by points

Presuming you're talking about the JJI Europeans in Switzerland?

I was there, and if you're fighting Feather, Master, Purple, then I know the guy you fought as well and saw the match. To be honest, it looked like you went to sleep. Your arm went loose and your legs too, and...yeah, I wasn't right on top of it but I saw it across a mat and you looked like you'd gone to sleep. Now, maybe you didn't, but once the referee has stopped the match, it's kind of hard for them to restart it. So...I'm very sorry for how it happened, but I can understand why it did. Guillotines are very awkward to judge, particularly in a gi when you can't really see properly.

Not really anything useful to say, but...sorry it happened like it did. Just get back and keep training, don't let it demotivate you, and make up for it next time. There's always another competition, don't dwell too much on the last one. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

Oli-could you see if the ref tried talking to him or anything? I would think most refs would actually say something to the effect of, "hey, are you still freaking AWAKE?!?!" You could be all limp and loose and just trying to relax and breathe but I think the ref should ask if you're still okay or something? You give him a quick thumbs up and carry on?

I THINK, although I'm honestly not sure, he tried shaking his arm. But that's always a nightmare. I've done it a couple of times, thought the guy was out, and found he wasn't as well. Some people just don't react to the arm grab because they're not expecting it/able to see it. So it's not 100%.

I also spoke to the ref afterwards, and he said the guy was snoring. Problem is there's a point before you go out where if the pressure is strong you snore but you're not out yet. Which is what I imagine happened in this example.

Difficult. >_<

Take care,

Oli

I THINK, although I'm honestly not sure, he tried shaking his arm. But that's always a nightmare. I've done it a couple of times, thought the guy was out, and found he wasn't as well. Some people just don't react to the arm grab because they're not expecting it/able to see it. So it's not 100%.

I also spoke to the ref afterwards, and he said the guy was snoring. Problem is there's a point before you go out where if the pressure is strong you snore but you're not out yet. Which is what I imagine happened in this example.

Difficult. >_<

Take care,

Oli

LOL I call that the "pre-sleep gurgle."

Back