1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.

Some very old muay thai vs kyokushin videos

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Frode Falch, Jul 8, 2020.

1. SandaKicker Green Belt

The stuff on fast twitch vs slow twitch is super interesting in my opinion.

It seems a lot has come out on it in recent years. I think you could make an argument speed is potentially the most important physical attribute for striking sports.

If you are interested Andy Galpin is probably the lead sports scientist who also work's with MMA fighter's (he's worked with Brian Ortega, Patrick Cummins and a few other UFC fighters). This was a decent conversation where he get's into method's to optimise fast twitch ratio;

He's also been on Rogan's podcast and a few other's but this was the most performance oriented conversation I've seen him.

DoctorTaco likes this.
  2. DoctorTaco Breadhead

thanks man. There so much bro science out there to sift through it becomes hard to educate yourself for fear of learning something wrong. This is great

3. StanClarker Yellow Card Yellow Card

<mma4>Its extremelyi impressive in some ways...

Fixed.

4. JohnMc Brown Belt

Sosai Oyama was a 4th Dan Judoka and many of his original students also held Dan rankings in Judo. So its not that surprising to see Kyokushin fighters using Judo.

StanClarker and DoctorTaco like this.
  5. shincheckin Black Belt

did this make it to this thread already?

Id say the thai did well. Taking into consideration never training kyokushin, fighting under kyokushin rules, against a top kyokushin fighter, who was also heavier.

6. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

I dont get it.. it HAVE to sting in your manhood when you meet another striker to battle it out, but "no punches to my face!!!"

I think this video says it well.

shincheckin likes this.
  7. shincheckin Black Belt

Dude they are making fun of jesse hardcore, they used the same name and everything, can they even do that?

So in this video, he made a comparison or analogy, that I have made on here before. That being the "useless" kata of karate, similar to the "useless" wai khru of MT. Meaning you dont need to learn the kata/wai khru to be able to fight karate/MT. However when I made this comparison I was roasted for it.........however we see the same comparison being made here.

Regarding no punches to the face: This makes a bit of a dangerous game in kyokushin, as the guys are typically very flexible, and capable of head kicks, spin kicks, etc at very close range. Combine that with the fact that you will most likely have your hands down during the fight, to protect the body, and not worrying about punches to the face, this opens up opportunities for those big head kicks to be land clean, specifically for someone inexeperienced in kyokushin and perhaps unable to recognize the attack........this is something that crossed my mind when I was thinking of taking a kyokushin fight. I was worrying about how to protect myself and not get spinning head kick ko'd lol.

There have been a lot of fighters, transitioning from kyokushin to KB that have done well, but if there is one thing you will notice most of them have, is a bad habit of dropping their hands.

I bet this video will probably upset most of the karate guys, but overall I would agree with the statements made in this video. "you can get your black belt before puberty!" <Lmaoo>

Frode Falch likes this.
  8. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Well..

shincheckin likes this.
  9. JohnPJones Green Belt

under parody laws probably, but icey mike isn't trying to be a dick or hurtful, he's just taking the piss out of jesse, and i do believe jesse did a reaction video or something. during the pandemic they did like a zoom meeting and jesse taught mike a kata lol

there's no denying it, the impersonation was spot on though.

mike talks a lot of shit on karate, because there's a lot of karate instructors who deserve it, hell i'd say my instructor became one of those people while i was in the navy, but he does have respect for 'real' karate, if you look he's done quite a few videos with sensei seth on both of their channels.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    shincheckin likes this.
  10. shincheckin Black Belt

watched that one right after the vid you posted.

still pretty funny stuff........."check it out"

Frode Falch likes this.
  11. shincheckin Black Belt

yeah dude its just crazy how while other bash karate, i got shitted on of advocating it. As I am getting older now, trying a point match seems like it would be fun.

Imagine the insanity of a experienced kyokushin fighter, whos karate coach is also a MT coach, training MT, taking a few MT fights, and then teaching very basic MT to kids.........that is just impossible and makes no sense at all. In fact, that sounds like even more of a watered down BS version than 99% of the karate dojos in the US right now!

12. JohnPJones Green Belt

well if i win the middleweight class TBASA tournament coming up, would you say i'm qualified to teach MT?

going back to that idea of yours, i think you'd produce people who are good at fighting from you 'karate' classes, but i don't think they'd be good at karate if you were trying to teach them. you said you have a coach who is also a karate instructor, so just let him teach the karate.

shincheckin likes this.
  13. shincheckin Black Belt

I was actually going to mention that. If you take a guy, who has 20 years of karate experience, and he trains MT, and then has some MT fights, than yes, I would say he is qualified to teach MT. He might not be a "grand master" but he definitely would be able to at the very least teach basics to children.

Think about it, if you have trained karate all your life, then cross trained MT, and had several MT fights, and won the TBA classic..........clearly you know nothing about MT.

The key is the experience though. A person that has been involved in martial arts for 20 plus years, is going to be more experienced, and have a better understanding of fighting in general. Take into consideration, someone that has 20 years of experience in, TKD, MT, Boxing, KB, Karate, MMA, that person is going to transition into another martial art easier and better than someone else with no exp. Cause remember, at a high level, they are more similar than they are different.

How do you learn karate or MT or KB or Boxing? By training it, and fighting it.

What makes me qualified to teach MT? Because I have trained and fought MT. Karate, or boxing, or TKD, is no different.

lets take it a step further, its not karate, cause its missing the bamboo forest philosophy or what not....i get it.....Well lets get technical and call it MT fighter repeating fighting techniques of karate that were demonstrated to him by karateka (aka my coach.)

No wai khru, no muay thai! obviously you dont need to know the wai khru to know and fight MT. but one could easily argue that you do need to learn the wai khru to learn MT because its part of the sport, culture, history, etc. which is true it is........but its not needed to fight it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  14. JohnPJones Green Belt

even if i win and get a pretty little belt i wouldn't try to teach muay thai, because while i beat nak muays using their rules i don't know much of shit about MT itself.
    to me there's more to each martial art than winning a few fights using a specific rule set.

15. shincheckin Black Belt

thats the philosophy aspect of it, i get what your saying and can see your view point.

I was really only interested in being able to fight as good as possible, so I was drawn to sports that focus on fighting. I started out in boxing, and then transitioned to MT when I learned what it was and how effective it was.

To me, if you train boxing, and fight boxing, you might know a thing or too about boxing.

JohnPJones likes this.
  16. JohnPJones Green Belt

ya if you train boxing and fight boxing you definitely know a thing or two about boxing.

but if you train muay thai and fight karate, do you really know much about karate?
    if you train karate and fight muay thai do you really know much about muay thai?

shincheckin likes this.
  17. shincheckin Black Belt

What if you train karate and fight karate?

What if you train karate and fight karate and have a MT background? A tkd background? A KB background? A mma background?