Some very old muay thai vs kyokushin videos

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Frode Falch, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

2. StanClarker Yellow Card Yellow Card

<Dany07>"I guess you're going to have to adapt...."

EDIT#1: There's your "tough guy" Frode in the 1st kyo guy. A swinging & a swangin,,' plodding forward face first boxing with hands down.

EDIT#2: "I wonder if the Kyo fighter did any research on Muay Thai." MMA stupid abounds in these commentators....<Kpop775>

EDIT#3: Kyokushin Fighter 2; "...not used to punches to the face." MMA stupid abounds in these commentators.

EDIT#4: "Those karate, kung fu, etc. guy block more snappy kicks... not use to Muay Thai breaking the baseball bat kicks...." MMA stupid abounds in these commentators.

EDIT#5: This is the Hadley Peek a Boo vid... switching the Muay Thai guy for Hadley, the Kyo guy for Valovich or whatever.

EDIT#6: See this across so, so many of the karate kumtie vids of all stripes... people not really knowing how to fight... just getting out there and repeating what they've been shown in class or worse yet, some seminar. Never gonna crack battle hardened Muay Thai with that mentality. The Kyo guy was done before he started.

The way to beat Muay Thai strength... is by out boxing their aggression. Outwork them with the hands. Karate fails here.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. CFGroup Green Belt

Even in black and white I can see the mechanics and speed still relevant in modern MT. Seems like they bounce around more back then?

The first guy was deff a Judo guy. My first badass Judo instructor was a Judo(Naga Waza), Koyukushin(Atemi Waza), Kendo(KenJutsu) and Goshin(kansetsu Waza) Dan. A very traditional Japanese MA pedigree.

It's nice to see modern Koyukushin has evolved to its modern form. I'm sure those clips are from its original practitioners in the early days of development.

RabbitPunch36 likes this.
  4. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

The Kyokushin guys had a Judo training camp but they won by punch KO's anyway.

5. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

You got double yellow again?

Amianto, CFGroup and AndyMaBobs like this.
  6. StanClarker Yellow Card Yellow Card

He's makin' karate look good... then walks it back but too late....<4>

7. Salves sod Iqueac Orange Belt

"In 1964, three karateka from the Kyokushin school (Tadashi Nakamura, Akio Fujihira and Kenji Kurosaki, the last being a last-second replacement for an injured Hirofumi Okada) travelled to Thailand in order to answer to a challenge made by the Muay Thai community. Pitted in the Lumpinee stadium against three Thai fighters, the Japanese won soundly two of the matches, with the third being a doctor stoppage over Kurosaki that he would call questionable because he was ahead. (It must be mentioned the karate fighters were also judo black belts and did a few judo throws during their matches ..."

This is why the throws and trips.

The Elemental O likes this.
  8. JohnPJones Green Belt

...kyokushin kicks aren't very snappy, and karateka have been doing baseball bat breaks with kicks for demonstrations for a looong time...

9. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

What happened to anybody who doesn't know Muay Thai will get raped in the clinch?

10. StanClarker Yellow Card Yellow Card

<FookIsThatGuy>Thanks John for that insight man, great Af.

11. JohnPJones Green Belt

i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not trolling here.

based on video quality i'd say this was most likely 50s maybe 60s if it was just someone unable to afford a better camera, which would indicate that point fighting was either just created about this time (50s) or was only just beginning to gain some popularity. this means that any one of age to take part in such an exhibition likely has a good amount of grappling and clinch experience. after all the traditional hikite is meant for standing grappling and not for striking in anyway.

12. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

What are you talking about point fighting? It's was the Kyokushin team.

StanClarker likes this.
  13. JohnPJones Green Belt

i'm giving you time references, back then its very likely that kyokushin also still had a lot of it's standing grappling taught considering its founder was supposedly using standing grappling to wrestle bulls to the ground...thus karate back then would have been pretty strong in the clinch.

14. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Mas Oyamas displays against old bulls had nothing to do with the kyokushin curriculum. It was never a grappling heavy art. They used sweeps in sparring and that's about it. Throws in self defence section but not sparring.

15. StanClarker Yellow Card Yellow Card

Excuse me fellas... but the message from video makes plain how tough Muay Thai fares in the ring.

Boggles me why MMA doesn't make use of the MT resources available. <mma3>Jose Aldo makes a fine case.

P.S. And if I didn't register before,,, interesting vid.

16. JohnPJones Green Belt

it really is hard to tell if you're trolling or just stupid.

DoctorTaco likes this.
  17. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Says the idiot who buys into Mas Oyama legends and thinks based on that, that Kyokushin was a grappling oriented art.

18. JohnPJones Green Belt

lol there you go again, try reading, sounding out, and if necessary looking up in a dictionary all the words in a post before replying. karate was a grappling art. thats the entire point that apparently went r/woosh

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  19. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Oh bullshit

20. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

And those bulls he fought were old and heavily compromised. Not surprised you fell for it though.