Some Underrated Movie Sequels You May Have Missed or Overlooked...

BisexualMMA

Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!
@Titanium
Reaction score
Jaws 2 - captures the feel and tone of the first quite well and the first two movies are pretty good back to back.

Death Wish 2 - ditto.

Young Guns 2 - actually better than Young Guns 1. The score should have been up for an Oscar. The role Emilio Estevez was born to play and the best performance of his career. Not too far from Oscar nomination worthy itself.

Rocky 2 - considered by many the drag of the first four films. Makes a nice four hour movie if paired with the first one...see comments above on tone and feel with respect to Jaws 2 and Death Wish 2. There could have been more acting nominations for this film, including Burgess Meredith.

Die Hard 2 - considered by many the drag of the first three Die Hards. Way better than Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Rocky 5 - it's better and has more virtues than you remember. There also aren't a lot of memorable movies made in that window of a few years to have a contemporary New Jack Swing soundtrack but it's one of them.

Rambo 3 - same thing. The opening stick fight is one of the better character introductions of the decade and character introductions are usually getting way less interesting by the time the protagonist is in the third movie.

Rambo 2 - considered a mindless Reagan actioner, it actually develops the main character and has more nuance in the story than people think or remember. Also co-written by James Cameron, there are some interesting parallels with Aliens from start to finish. Including Co as the proto-female-action-hero, among other things.

Conan the Destroyer - it's pretty respectable, all things considered. A new score that dovetails nicely with the first film.

Predator 2 - it's respectable and looks great now compared to what followed for the next number of years.

The Evening Star - yes, there was a sequel you forgot about to Terms of Endearment. It's not bad.

The Two Jakes - yes, there was a sequel you forgot about to Chinatown. It's not bad.

Well that's twelve anyway. Give em a shot or discuss them or add some that I missed as recommendations or tell me they're crap or whatever you feel like doing my homies.

Critters 2 was pretty awesome in theatre ... Giant ball of death scene, wouldn't mind a good reboot for the Crites.

Puppet Master 2 was legit.

Aliens is seen as the best.

Childs Play 2 started the awesome shit we got today. I enjoy the dumb shit these movies do.

Creep Show 2 was bad ass.

Deadpool 2 was worth watching.

Rush Hour 2 great hang out movie.

Think sequels get to much hate sometimes.

Critters 2 was pretty awesome in theatre ... Giant ball of death scene, wouldn't mind a good reboot for the Crites.

Critters 2...was that the space bounty hunters including the stacked blonde?

Reactions: THC
Temple of Doom was a fun sequel that looks better now that KOTC has been released. When Indy 5 gets released, TOD will retroactively be awarded an Oscar.

Maybe my favorite scene is where those two swordsmen come and twirl their swords, and Indy smiles because he thinks he’s gonna shoot them down just like in Raiders, but finds his holster empty.

tumblr_mgiajesPxt1r93xiko1_500.gif

I can remember me and my brother trying to kill each other with the Mola Ram heart snatch when we were kids. Even shouting “Kali Ma, Kali Ma, Kali Ma Shakti De!” as one of us was trying to end the life of the other.

It never worked.

200.gif

Agree the score of young guns 2 was better but would strongly disagree that it's a better movie than the original

It's definitely up for debate but I thought they took the characters they had built up in the first film and got the absolute most impact they possibly could out of them in the second one. I also thought that the lengths Billy goes to in order to "keep the band together" like the guy who doesn't want to graduate high school and how it all plays out was an interesting character study. I have high praise for both films though.

The first one assembles the team and pits them against adversaries. The second is really an adventure of Billy's own making based on his internal struggles and he drags everybody into it with him. I think the characters really get developed compared to the first one. And Christian Slater really hits the ground running with a developed character.

Last edited:
The early 90's was arguably the era of the underrated action sequel, I spose poartly because tastes changed not long afterwards towards big CGI family films so they didnt have the same chance to building popularity on VHS. A lot of the classic 80's action films really I think thats were they became so, even if they were sucessful at the time they really grew on VHS/cable in the late 80's to early 90s'.

I'v always mention Robocop 2 as well, true it doesnt have as effective a dramatic story of the original(although I think was clearly intended to set one up for a 3rd film) but it does really take the dark satire of the original and run with it whilst also being a lot of fun, the kind of thing you just could not imagine being made today with so much venom for almost all parts of the establishment.

Been awhile since I watched Jaws 2 but I remember its main weakness being it gets into the sea confrontation a bit too fast, shows you how effective the original films buildup of its characters before that point actually was and you end up caring far less for the characters.

Die Hard 2 is a bit more generic than the original I would say without as much character to it but Renny Harland did arguebly do the formula better than anyone besides McTieran himself with this and Cliff Hanger.

The early 90's was arguably the era of the underrated action sequel, I spose poartly because tastes changed not long afterwards towards big CGI family films so they didnt have the same chance to building popularity on VHS. A lot of the classic 80's action films really I think thats were they became so, even if they were sucessful at the time they really grew on VHS/cable in the late 80's to early 90s'.

I'v always mention Robocop 2 as well, true it doesnt have as effective a dramatic story of the original(although I think was clearly intended to set one up for a 3rd film) but it does really take the dark satire of the original and run with it whilst also being a lot of fun, the kind of thing you just could not imagine being made today with so much venom for almost all parts of the establishment.

Been awhile since I watched Jaws 2 but I remember its main weakness being it gets into the sea confrontation a bit too fast, shows you how effective the original films buildup of its characters before that point actually was and you end up caring far less for the characters.

Die Hard 2 is a bit more generic than the original I would say without as much character to it but Renny Harland did arguebly do the formula better than anyone besides McTieran himself with this and Cliff Hanger.

Robocop 2. I always want to like it. But I keep having to put it in that tier below Conan the Destroyer. It does some stuff right but I just can't take it seriously with a 10 year old crime lord and Daniel O'Herlihy's CEO character kind of turns on a dime between movies from amoral profit motive to Satan. If they had just kept it a bit more realistic I would have it in Predator 2 territory.

Technically it's a prequel
Yeah, from the dates they use in the movie it is, but I honestly think that was always just an excuse to explain away one of the biggest bloopers in film history.

I think the truth is George was having a lot of martial problems at the time, and he just never thought twice about the dates.

The scene of Indy thinking he’s going to smoke the sword twirlers is a clear callback to Raiders, even by the character himself.

I buy into TOD being a prequel as much as I buy into Star Wars being a metaphor for Vietnam.

Rocky 5 is utter garbage. Poorly acted, written and executed. Agree with others on list.
Superman 2 is the best of the originals.
Alien 3 is under rated.
Nightmare on Elm St 3 Dream Warriors is one of the best entries
Halloween 3 is an odd entry as it has no source relation, but it’s good.

Rocky 5 is utter garbage. Poorly acted, written and executed. Agree with others on list.
Superman 2 is the best of the originals.
Alien 3 is under rated.
Nightmare on Elm St 3 Dream Warriors is one of the best entries
Halloween 3 is an odd entry as it has no source relation, but it’s good.

Nightmare on Elm Street 4 is also good. Part 2 is pretty bad and pretty gay but I guess barely worth watching. Marshall Bell was pretty good as usual.

Rocky 5 has its virtues if you sit through the parts you don't like to get to them...

Robocop 2. I always want to like it. But I keep having to put it in that tier below Conan the Destroyer. It does some stuff right but I just can't take it seriously with a 10 year old crime lord and Daniel O'Herlihy's CEO character kind of turns on a dime between movies from amoral profit motive to Satan. If they had just kept it a bit more realistic I would have it in Predator 2 territory.

Speaking of O’Herlihy, I’m a big proponent of Halloween III. A lot of people dismiss it immediately cause it’s not Myers and others just find it silly, but I think it’s entertaining, interesting, and if you were to consider all the films of that franchise, it’s pretty clearly one of the better ones.

Speaking of O’Herlihy, I’m a big proponent of Halloween III. A lot of people dismiss it immediately cause it’s not Myers and others just find it silly, but I think it’s entertaining, interesting, and if you were to consider all the films of that franchise, it’s pretty clearly one of the better ones.

As I guess is known around here by some I am a big proponent of Fail Safe, but that's going back a long time with old Dan. He was pretty fun as the alien mentor in The Last Starfighter as well.

Puppet Master 2 was legit.

Aliens is seen as the best.

Childs Play 2 started the awesome shit we got today. I enjoy the dumb shit these movies do.

Creep Show 2 was bad ass.

Deadpool 2 was worth watching.

Rush Hour 2 great hang out movie.

Think sequels get to much hate sometimes.
when I watched Childs play 2 I had nightmares of being in a factory with Chuckie as a kid lol

Back