Some tips from catch wrestling

I love how Tony doesn't explain how to get to the last position you showed, I have his DVD and he just starts off from there but never explains how.

flyingknee16 said:
I love how Tony doesn't explain how to get to the last position you showed, I have his DVD and he just starts off from there but never explains how.
i understand what you mean but the tapes are to show you hooks, not the wrestling for the positions. there are other tapes for that that bjj or other things can show you. he's showing the different of catch vs bjj mainly to open peoples' eyes and he has def achieved this with his tapes.

yes, you need to get a dominant position for 99% of this, but he shows you how you should hold that position to keep the opponent under pressure.

i have saulo's no-gi set in the mail since i liked this one so much and it helped me in my rolling.

but how would you actually get into the stopper toehold position within the bounds of a regular match? like on leglock manipultions 1, when he first shows you the stopper toehold or some sort of foot sub from having your opponent's ONE leg vined up while you're behind and on top of them, you'd have to be very fast in flattening out your opponent, then letting go of your hooks to go and try to hook your legs around ONE of his legs, during the time in which your opponent could roll forward or roll over and get guard.

the submissions are useless if he doesnt explain how to obtain the weird position to do so.

in every video you could be like "what if he does x" there are counteres to every thing and different situations in every match. i've tried popping the knee up when in someone's guard and bait them for the step over but no one takes the bait and i end up passing differently.

i'll let you know how it goes when i get it.

the main benifit of these tapes is the little twists like on the top wristlock and the hips on how he rides every position just like in regular wrestling.. that's why i like it. he applies wrestling's strength and athletism into grappling when a lot of bjjers try to tell us to just forget the wrestling.

oh yeah man, i agree. i call his version of the top wristlock the "mean" version of the top wristlock because it FUCKING hurts. lol.

his weight distribution stuff, like sidemount and scarf hold, have worked great for me.

is it really THAT great of a series?...i already have bas rutten's big dvds...will these show me things i didn't know before?

havent seen bas' dvds, but if you want a different point of view at the ground game than just pure bjj, then tony cecchine is your guy.

tmk, bas uses a few catch moves himself.

you're fine with bas' dvds. those are overall the best i think.

i think you guys didnt pay attention. he didnt just start from that position, that is a staple position of catch, you can get there pretty often. I SHOWED you on the origional post how to get to it from the achilles lock transitioned into it.
the great thing about this series, as someone posted, are the little things.
and Bas DVDs cover a lot

The 1st 2 techniques described are wrestling moves not just catch wrestling moves. they are essentially basic pins that any jv wrestler learns in middle school. They AREvery good hold-downs if done correctly. I wouldnt suggest that the "side mount" control is a very aggressive hold down for purposes other than pinning. Quite useful in a tight match with 20 seconds left or so. A tough pin to get out of and pretty mobile as far as transitioning form side to north south etc.. But the knees are so far back that getting knee on stomach requires explosive speed etc.. the kesa hold down, known as the head and arm in wrestling is very punishing even if you dont switch to a choke from this position. yes it can be reversed with a roll(called a sweep in BJJ) but if you walk around the head as the try to get the legs close to your butt you can remain relatively safe.
Again, like all grappling moves youhave to practice it live and you will learn how it feels to have the move and hold downs in correctly.

zh30.jpg

head and arm hold down...Look at the red face! LOL

zh171.jpg

A side control type pin. this one is called the reverse half.....The pinners hips stay low and he applies pressure to the pinee with other parts of his body.

zh231.jpg

this guys chest is a lil high, he should be "more" chest to chest but he has got the bottom man in trouble he has time to settle in.. Notice how his knees are still ON themat..that is a no-no, they should be slighlty off the mat for added pressure on bottom man.

anyway thought some visuals might help.

flyingknee16 said:
oh yeah man, i agree. i call his version of the top wristlock the "mean" version of the top wristlock because it FUCKING hurts. lol.

his weight distribution stuff, like sidemount and scarf hold, have worked great for me.

Hmmm, that sounds good, but usually I have one knee in to prevent the person from shrimping toward me. So I have knees on the ground and can usually hold a person down, although I don't really put a lot of weight on them.

I should probably switch to this method though.

FiveByFive said:
Hmmm, that sounds good, but usually I have one knee in to prevent the person from shrimping toward me. So I have knees on the ground and can usually hold a person down, although I don't really put a lot of weight on them.

Tony's tapes cover this. Just turn your hips INTO them, it prevents them from getting a leg in.

Thanks for the tips, I feel that much closer to being Saku now.

my BJJ instructor actually likes to ride your hips with his.
I think he has many ways to hold side, depending on what
your doing.

I don't see him do much chest to chest, I think because it
takes away the movement of his hands, so he control the guy
with his hips, yes he is that good.

In the last pic you can see a legal wrestling move. I have learnt it in wrestling class.
I don

RickoOodles said:
Thanks for the tips, I feel that much closer to being Saku now.

Actually, Saku likes to have his knees on the ground and not on your toes chest to chest.

I just watched Ground Domination I and II again. F-in hillarious, some of the stuff Tony says, Bruce's gurgling, moaning, straining, tapping, coughing. I am going to try to incorporate some of these techniques on open mat and see what observations I can make.

FiveByFive said:

you hips need to be low enough to remove the space for him to slip his knee is. you do this and you have weight on him (if on knees, this is impossible) and you still block the guard. if you have a guy with short legs and are worried he'll bust a knee in there then you should look into knee-on-belly just for him.

the problem is, people want one answer for everything, myself included. we want some little answer or rule of thumb to nullify the counters but the only rule is: if he moves you move. you cant stay in your position if he's move, you have to act/react to counter him so you're both always moving and working.

in this case, low hips (even if barely a centimeter off the ground) is not enough to keep a knee out always. you have to hip in (that side hip turned down to touch the mat) when you feel the shift coming to block and keep pressure on the hold-down.

Back