1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Some tips from catch wrestling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by DonkeyKong, Oct 26, 2005.

1. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

Those who are advanced submission fighters may or may not be familiar with these

- When you have sidemount, don

2. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

3. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

Insane tips. Tony Cecchine

4. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

I have watched the tapes, but I am VERY new to grappling, so I couldn't really use them much. I am going to re-watch the ground domination tapes again to help me out.

5. TapouTime

TapouTime Guest

those are great tech except keep in mind that in BJJ tournaments and some grappling tournaments applying a straight ankle lock on the side of the free leg is ILLEGAL and considered a heel hook because the knee is twisting.... you have to roll towards the outside i have been in tournaments where you cant even bring your leg over his but thats not all the time.. at least for purple and below those are the rules

6. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

can you explain that a little better? What is it exactly that you can

7. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

IS the stepover toehold allowed? I never saw it in competition.

8. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

These are excellent tips (although I have heard them all previously from BJJ too).

I am pretty sure it is legal to fall to the side on a straight achilles lock. You should not be twisting his knee on the straight lock even if you fall to the side. You are arching straight back; it just so happens that since you are on your side, the ground is not in your way anymore.

It is very easy to get a heelhook from the side facing position, but you can still finish with the achilles lock if the rules prohibit them.

9. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

a stepover toehold in BJJ?!?

10. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

Thanks for these cool tips. Can you explain a little better how you place your hips in the sidemount? I.e., are they almost to the ground, totally to the side of the guy and pressing in at him? Or are they partly bearing down on him? And where along the body in relation to the guy's own hips (front/back)?

Thanks --

11. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

Your hips are close to the ground and pushing him at an angle, not forwards. Dont put them so far from the guy and low that they arch forward and the weight is down on them as your back bends. Dont put them so close that you lose control of the distance.
    I didnt understand your last question

12. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

My last question was just whether you should put your weight down on the guys hips more or up on his chest more -- i.e. how high up you should keep the side mount with catch style approach.

13. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

all on his chest to keep him from breathing. what keeps him from shrimping is the low position of your hips and of course some leg movement. Catch is agressive and there is a very interesting motto: never leave your opponent in a comfortable position. When you stay on your knees the guy is just lying on the floor, and he

14. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

has anybody here EVER seen a stepover toehold applied in BJJ?
    seriously, im asking you guys this, if someone has, let me know

15. bammann45

bammann45 Yellow Belt

thanks for the tips, a few thoughts

The lowered hips are all well and good to keep side control, but you lose most of your mobility
    to try stuff, such as, transitioning to knee ride, crossing over and take an armbar, kimura from side,
    transition to top americana or even mounting... so I guess its good for stalling but doesn't leave a lot
    for offense. also, if both legs are sprawled, then you are not checking his hips from moving...

for the scarf hold sitting high, if he can clinch around your body, shovel his knee up to your butt, it would be very easy for him to roll you over him... so while it prevents a shrimp escape, it opens you to being swept, if you are sitting too high, he can thow a leg in front of your face and sit up -- it depends on where his arms are... now, you can submit from there with a rib crusher if you lean back, grasp his leg with your other arm and pull your two arms together...

we did learn that toe hold/calf crusher but prof machado basically pointed out, "how often does a bjj guy go sprawled flat on his stomach to you? and if he is dumb enough to do that, then that toe hold will be the least of his problems"

16. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

you will keep moving, not still in place. if your hips are low and you have good hip and leg mobility, he wont shrimp out.

as for the scarf hold it is also a mobile stance, not a static one. how

17. i'm kind of against giving away Tony's info for free because after watching his tapes and applying it as i can in my rolling... it's worth every penny and he deserves what he makes off of it.

long story short, buy the "silver package" (Lost Art of Hooking as DVDs for $100 at http://www.catchwrestle.com ) and watch it through and through. hell, just seeing him punish bruce for hours is worth it. most likely the best $100 i ever spent.

18. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

good point there. the tapes are a must-buy. Seriously. This is probably the most consistently well reviewed and respected tape set out there, and it will bring you things you

19. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

Thanks. If I actually knew what some of those moves were, I would be much more thankful ... but I DO know what sidemount is!!!! yessssss *pumps arm in enthusiasm* :D

20. Ybot

Ybot Purple Belt

I was caught with a toe hold while I was working my X-guard at NAGA West Coast... I did just compete at the U.S. Open, and there are no toe holds allowed purple and below, but brown and black can do them.

And to answer your original question, yes I've seen it in training. Toe holds can be attacked from loads of positions just like the Kimura. I've even countered an achillies lock with a toe hold before... good technique when it's allowed.