Some stance switching tips for you guys.

KillerElite

Carlos Condit knees people in the face
@Black
Reaction score
Stance Switching is a very helpful thing and for me it alone has helped me a lot.
My first one: From either stance do a spinning back kick to the body with the rear leg. It is my personal favorite because the body shot is a long term investment. You can land in the southpaw if you are fighting orthodox or vice versa.
Superman from the rear hand: I like it because it extends my 81 inch reach and covers me up switching to orthodox.
Calf Slicer leg kick. Quick violent and painful.
When you exit the clinch.
Note you don't have to switch it like silly dilly
You can just do from time to time not go super crazy with it. If you feel like they are adjusting to said stance then switch.

- Throwing a lot of straight punches from both hands is a good combination with stance switching.
- Don't be scared to square up sometimes. Think of your stance as a spectrum. A very straight/narrow orthodox stance on one end and southpaw on the other. Horse riding stance in the middle. This is of course something people who have switched a lot should think about more (advanced techniques). For begginers, just work on fighting well out of both stance.
- Front kick off your rear leg, mostly front kick off your right leg against a sp and mostly with your left against an orthodox. This ensures it always lands near the liver. The range is also better. Same for round kicks.
- If having trouble implementing a well rounded set of techniques from both stances. Just forget about your lead side and work on your rear side from both stances (or the vice versa). There are guys whose bread and butter is throwing a tight quick cross from both stances.

Just some really random stuff off the top of my head. There are some other stuff which I'll add if I remember.

EDIT:
- Once you have reached a decent level with your switching, you can begin to start sparring in just one stance. Go into sparring sessions and tell yourself that for the next x minutes I will only remain in orthodox for example. This will ensure that overtime your switches aren't always random/instinctual but can often be calculated and consciously made.

don't really try to do any switch combos.

but the only one I try from southpaw would be:

quick headkick (get their guard up), step down into orthodox stance, cross (keep their guard up), then a left hook to liver

the only other times i really find myself in my opposite stance is when i miss a rear teep kick (you can just do another kick from there to return to stance), or when you step your lead leg back (into opposite stance) to evade a kick, then fire a roundhouse counter.

Back